1. The Mayor Of Hell's rating of the film McCabe & Mrs. Miller

despite being admittedly slow and seemingly dated this is truly and beautiful, fully realized, perfect film. What’s it about? Love, capitalism, manifest destiny ? All those things ? The ending image is haunting and full of supposed meaning. The questions abound and therein lies an interesting movie. The Cohen songs fit like it was made for it. A Great Western anti or not

2. Miels Clifton's rating of the film McCabe & Mrs. Miller

This is a great film. Atypical of it's genre, it introduces our hero and slowly deconstructs him instead of building him up. McCabe has got that western spirit, but Mrs. Miller, and life, bring him down a peg. A couple pegs, to be honest, and it's brilliant. Sad, but brilliant. A must watch.

3. Exterminating_Angel's rating of the film McCabe & Mrs. Miller

The most honest western there is. Our “hero” McCabe makes a living as a pimp. We see no Natives. We see exploited and overworked miners and Asians. Women are forced to prostitute. This is what makes the film so unique. It shows the truth behind what western expansion truly was. The transition from free competition to monopoly capitalism only meant less people would reap the benefits from the exploitation of others.

4. Ruiz Buñuel's rating of the film McCabe & Mrs. Miller

Potentially good, potentially bad. I like what it's trying to do. If I could rate it twice, I'd probably give it 1 and 5.

5. Dalibor's rating of the film McCabe & Mrs. Miller

Every story happening and every character present seem to, at the same time, tell a nostalgic ol' western tale and be it's subtly humorous critique. By challenging all kinds of genre conventions, Altman created an inventive film somewhere between classical and neo-Western. Dreamy visuals are worthy of anything Tarkovski would make, and are to thank for launching Vilmos Zsigmonds' carrer.

6. Ralphesque's rating of the film McCabe & Mrs. Miller

Absolutely gorgeous. My favorite Altman movie for sure.

7. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film McCabe & Mrs. Miller

Altman’s most aesthetically beautiful film, also one of his best explorations of the great American mythology. Leonard Cohen.

8. Aaron C Jones's rating of the film McCabe & Mrs. Miller

Raging anti-capitalist pseudo-Western. I'm just glad Beatty had an excuse to grow that glorious beard.

9. Walker's rating of the film McCabe & Mrs. Miller

Just watched on 35mm. This film is stunning in every way. Wow!

10. bartkl's rating of the film McCabe & Mrs. Miller

The tale of a typical western tough guy who is on an endeavour to build saloons and be rich, who finds himself becoming increasingly infatuated with an usually strong woman, one feminists would be proud of, although her profession would nowadays be frowned upon. By showing the fragile, emotional side of the hero I feel ALTMAN has done something unique with a western. The theme song by COHEN wonderfully supports this.

11. Adam GR's rating of the film McCabe & Mrs. Miller

Altman knows exactly where to stand for the perfect vantage. Warren Beatty in fur. Julie Christie smokes opium. Sense of place is extraordinary. How else would it end?

12. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film McCabe & Mrs. Miller

McCabe & Mrs. Miller is a film which seems to develop in large part without any real or at least palpable tension. Whether it be amorous or anything else, one can't really sense what's at stake for the bunch of people that are screened. I think this is largely due to the sketchy script. Yet it's quite entertaining and a joy to watch, a combination of characteristics that runs across Altman's oeuvre.

13. redux's rating of the film McCabe & Mrs. Miller

Crime, alcohol and prostitution are the foundations of American civilization. Pity, then, that this saggy affair is no match for its own sarcastic stance. It rather resembles the abysmal 'Popeye': people in costumes trapped on a hillside, in a film set that looks like a film set. Plus badly faked snow.

14. FISCHER's rating of the film McCabe & Mrs. Miller

Un émérite joueur professionnel et une attirante prostituée décident de transformer une église en construction, en saloon et maison de passe et de plaisirs ..... CONVAINCANT ! www.cinefiches.com

15. haugenlars's rating of the film McCabe & Mrs. Miller

16. Mtume Gant's rating of the film McCabe & Mrs. Miller

Who really made the Americana more honest than Altman? 4.5

17. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film McCabe & Mrs. Miller

18. brick_bro's rating of the film McCabe & Mrs. Miller

A dirty and surreal take on the western genre. Full of rich dialogue, blossoming community, and a sense of compassion for the depraved, all at risk against a developing nation.

19. James Mackin's rating of the film McCabe & Mrs. Miller

Really beautifully shot, and the Leonard Cohen music works very well for this. One of my favourite Altmans.

20. Kamran's rating of the film McCabe & Mrs. Miller

Deconstructing Robert Altman's McCabe and Mrs. Miller, published at Aesthetics of the Mind: http://bit.ly/2k2i6TK 88/100 - Excellent (4.5)

21. Aukse's rating of the film McCabe & Mrs. Miller

22. Jason's rating of the film McCabe & Mrs. Miller

Peculiar fragile age for the solitary-type product of the North American counterculture where he sort of cries off and on through the near-entirety of McCabe and Mrs. Miller from the shot of the egg onward. I remember seeing it projected on 35 when I was a teenager. This really feels like a superlative period piece about the poetic gestalt of its own time period. Hence the Leonard Coen. The snow happened 'cause God.

23. LifeofFiction's rating of the film McCabe & Mrs. Miller

What an absolute feast for the eyes. RIP Leonard Cohen.

24. Wipeoutt31's rating of the film McCabe & Mrs. Miller

This film had to be one of several sources for HBO's Deadwood series.

← Previous 1 3 4 5