1. cin-e-phile22's rating of the film Mean Streets

A fusion of so many schools of cinema can be seen in this one. Overlong in certain places, could've been better with tighter editing. De Niro's acting is a loose cannon in certain scenes without a proper direction from Scorcese. Should've been a better attempt considering he was already five years into his filmmaking career by this point. Nevertheless a good one.

2. Michael Diers's rating of the film Mean Streets

Ist offenbar eine unrestaurierte Fassung. Daher ist der originale englische Ton sehr schlecht, die deutsche Synchronisation ist grausam. Nichtsdestotrotz: Scorsese hat wirklich bessere Filme gemacht als Hexenkessel, dessen Darstellung mitunter in den Klamauk abdriftet.

3. wen interessierts's rating of the film Mean Streets

Ja nee, klar, "Meisterwerk" ... Meiner Meinung nach hat er hier noch geübt.

4. Malt Frisky's rating of the film Mean Streets

It's the beginning of Scorsese, De Niro and Keitel finding out their strengths and what would later be the most important people in the film industry. Mean Streets is gritty but just lacks direction and in some respects would be overshadowed by the masterpiece that is Taxi Driver. Some acting feels over the top and plot threads don't actually go anywhere or get explained but perhaps that's the whole point of the city

5. chloe's rating of the film Mean Streets

the second star is only because it has some scorsese panache. I watched the whole film and I didn't get what the film was about apart from a very annoying gangster.

6. James Mackin's rating of the film Mean Streets

The most distinctly European film I've seen, made in America by an American.

7. Jack's rating of the film Mean Streets

De Niro and Keitel make this for me. Although Johnny Boy is so irritating I struggled to watch it. I'm not sure if it's just me, but the bar fight scene was bad - lots of slapping and cuddling, didn't look or feel like violence.

8. viola mombe's rating of the film Mean Streets

3.8 La trama non ha niente di particolarmente avvincente, non c'è intreccio ne mistero. E va bene così, perché Scorsese con lo sguardo dell'antropologo e del visionario ( inusuale commistione) ci regala splendide pennellate di una New York e una Little Italy notturna dominata dal nero il rosso e un po' di blu, dove prende vita il violento travaglio interiore, quasi cristiano, di Charlie. Fuoco e acqua

9. Henrique Amud's rating of the film Mean Streets

It took me a long long time but it was worth for all the EEEYYYYYs and bar fights! And ebullient Scorcese/DeNeri pairing that I now see has been the major inspiration for Liam Gallaghers douchebaggary.

10. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Mean Streets

11. Walker's rating of the film Mean Streets

I adore the energy of this film. I've watched it more than any other Scorsese movie! I just love the camerawork, the setting, and the way these characters interact.

12. Didier Pigeon-Perreault's rating of the film Mean Streets

13. Loud Rocks's rating of the film Mean Streets

14. Louisa Savignon's rating of the film Mean Streets

3.5 // ny in the 70s. harvey keitel on shape. rock'n'roll. etc

15. Mert Kaya's rating of the film Mean Streets

16. radurosca's rating of the film Mean Streets

17. Kristian McKay's rating of the film Mean Streets

SCORSESE is an architect of cinema style. This is a brave undertaking at his age and even though he is a student of classical film studies, I don't see his response or exploration of that in his own work as much.

18. J. O.'s rating of the film Mean Streets

A great deal more jumbled and poorly constructed that I had anticipated - but Scorsese's future as an influential filmmaker does shine through despite the overwhelming flaws. Points for the soundtrack, the key performances, and the gritty cinematography flooded with neon lights and dark shadows.

19. jamesedwards1394@gmail.com's rating of the film Mean Streets

the cast is the ugliest group of people ive ever seen

20. José Neves's rating of the film Mean Streets

re-rating. I already liked it a lot, now less because of the clichés that the time extended and that would prove to be a constant in this filmmaker work, who usually disguises it with a hysterical energy. See De Niro's character and acting: unbearable. Nevertheless still prevails a beautiful capacity to film a city, New York in the 70's, that with "Taxi Driver" would become mythological.

21. J.J. 'Jake' Gittes's rating of the film Mean Streets

Boring, boring, boring. You think, ok it will get better. But it does not. Very difficult to stay tuned; almost unwatchable. Too much overacting. Amateurish fight scenes, all fake. A man who is shot several times continues to fight & makes opponent to retreat. Incredibly bad & laughable. Mr. Scorsese is a very good director and DeNiro & Keitel are fine actors. But here nothing works. Huge disappointment.

22. alimcintyre's rating of the film Mean Streets

A bit of a curate's egg, good in parts but it failed to hold my attention for the full 112 minutes. Fine acting from De Niro and particularly Keitel made up for the absence of much of a plot.

23. Superfrog's rating of the film Mean Streets

Photography is interesting but does not add much to the film, where the characters float with not much of a good thread in between the scenes of violence.

24. smndvdcl's rating of the film Mean Streets

Great as a signpost for Scorsese's oeuvre (auteur features) and development of 'lowlife' crime (unlike 'The Godfather') in an authentic Italianamerican diasporic context. However, the script is shoddy, repetitive and overacted. As a result, a suspension of one's disbelief is near impossible. The flair of form is definitely present, but one Scorsese does not hone until 'Taxi Driver', 'Raging Bull' and 'Goodfellas'.

← Previous 1 3 4 5