1. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Medium Cool

Kind of a mish mash of things that work and things that don’t so much. Cool 60s score though.

2. The Mayor Of Hell's rating of the film Medium Cool

3. smndvdcl's rating of the film Medium Cool

The politics of spectatorship, the role of the cameraman as detached from the event as observer of the participants in frame; then becoming the observed, due to a car crash; rubberneckers become the voyeuristic observers, reversing the role of spectator and spectated. Wexler poses serious questions about our society's film ethics: a new era questioning the self-conscious postmodern complex of those raised on media.

4. SpacePirate's rating of the film Medium Cool

Oh Haskell, why didnt you direct more often? This is an underappreciated gem that, given the uneasy 2016 election cycle, feels like a time that could very easily repeat itself. Great editing, and being from WV, a decent portrayal of country folk without going full on redneck mocking. 5 stars, a must see, and the blu ray transfer is fantastic!

5. Elephants_Gerald's rating of the film Medium Cool

This sat near the top of my "to-watch" list for years, and I realized I was scared to watch it – it just seemed so cool, and so capable of disappointing me. The last twenty minutes, documentary footage of the '68 Chicago Democratic Nat'l Convention that combines nonfiction with narrative film, is a masterpiece and saves the bloated, pointless, pretentious first 80 minutes from dragging everything down to 1 star.

6. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Medium Cool

7. Ethan's rating of the film Medium Cool

Haskell Wexler's directorial debut proved that he wasn't only a great cinematographer but also a great filmmaker. Reality mixes with fiction in this brilliant film that perfectly captures the pulse of America in 1968. Robert Forster is also really badass in this.

8. Marta Donati's rating of the film Medium Cool

Incredible film that combines staged action and story with historical footage that documents the Chicago riots. Lucid, active filmmaking that uses both fiction and documentary in the best of ways.

9. Muraki's rating of the film Medium Cool

10. El Biffo's rating of the film Medium Cool

Written/directed/photographed by Haskell Wexler, this film is loaded with so many incredible people, ideas, events and images. Half of it is staged (fabulously), half real (horrifyingly real). Look carefully and see Jesse Jackson in the crowd. Hear Mayor Daley ignore passionate protesters who ask him to stop the violence.Essential Cinema and must-see for anyone interested in the social upheaval in USA in the 1960's.

11. Aaron Anaya's rating of the film Medium Cool

Really a depiction of a specific time and place more than anything, with all the cameraman as spectator vs. participant stuff more of a pretext. Which is fine as 68' Chicago is fascinating and Wexler seems more interested in digression than he does with progression. Time and place wise the riots are the least interesting part as they've been shown in other films and the whole sequence feels like an arbitrary climax.

12. Scottie Ferguson's rating of the film Medium Cool

Probably the best movie I've ever seen about the power of film to capture history.

13. gaffordKINO's rating of the film Medium Cool

Coming to the Collection, baby. Up there with one of the most daring films of the 1960s.

14. cofferoman's rating of the film Medium Cool

I saw it then and now I wish say it is pehaps most unwanted film in US as it reveals some hidden political issues.Then it touched war in Vietnam. Now it can touch war in Afghanistan, but hippie remains still hippie

15. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Medium Cool

Few filmmakers, not even Kiarostami, have so deftly dealt with the issue of how real or how active cinema can be. This one stands as a troubling challenge: in a society where images are routinely and apathetically created to be consumed, will the process end with consumption, or will you do something? 4 out of 5 stars.

16. Maximilian XXI's rating of the film Medium Cool

17. Howard Orr's rating of the film Medium Cool

It is relevant because it deals with the mass media's awareness of its interdependence with reality and its ardour to engage with populist movements; it is chilling because it is all too aware that this same ardour was born in an age of assassination.

18. Emily Piellusch's rating of the film Medium Cool

An excellent display of hegemonic masculinity in United States society.

19. nananaina's rating of the film Medium Cool

Many many layers but I like it, I like the story the texture, dialogues, her yellow dress, the accents, the real footage, secondary characters too.