1. Eleanor Abernathy's rating of the film Meek's Cutoff

hella slow. this movie really takes its time.

2. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Meek's Cutoff

This was the biggest surprise in my “Into the West” film festival. I picked it partly to do with it’s having a good reputation, but mostly for diversity. It ended up being one of the best of the set of films I picked, maybe even number one. Much to praise, but if I had to pick one moment that stuck out it was the dissolve from the mountain range into the caravan on the plain, which blew my mind.

3. JoaoM's rating of the film Meek's Cutoff

4. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Meek's Cutoff

6.6/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-33g

5. Emile Tremblay's rating of the film Meek's Cutoff

6. Myles's rating of the film Meek's Cutoff

Reichardt's revisionist Western provides a strikingly human take on Oregon Trail mythology. Amid all the unknowing, fear and terror and hope and humor rise up like onions slowly shriveling in a frying pan.

7. alucarda's rating of the film Meek's Cutoff

all felt sharp rather than dreamlike, as opposed to Picnic @ Hanging Rock or Days of Heaven, scenes were beautiful but nothing felt rich, although the dissolving of one landscape into another was incredible to see. not as captivating as expected, viewer is spared the lunacy that comes with scarcity, but use of sound & attention given each tight lipped character allowed for interesting & insightful play between them

8. laura karl's rating of the film Meek's Cutoff

liebe die dramatische beiläufigkeit.

9. Renton47's rating of the film Meek's Cutoff

An exercise in slow submersion as Reichardt gradually aligns us with Williams' Tetherow to the effect of bewilderment. Initially as lost in darkness, deafness and otherness as the characters seem from the land, we center at a moral quandary that America seems built on: what if the loudest & most ruthless don't know what they're doing? The use of audio for perception, the tableaux of scenery, all excellent.

10. Arthur Freitas's rating of the film Meek's Cutoff

Reichardt is fascinating and its work is trully unique. MEEK'S CUTOFF goes hard on you, and you need to be prepared.

11. Nachtreich's rating of the film Meek's Cutoff

12. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Meek's Cutoff

13. Diderot's rating of the film Meek's Cutoff

An absolute masterpiece about the dilemma of how and whom to trust when all the options are blank. (And a landscape that doesn't want you and will have nothing to do with you.)

14. superjano's rating of the film Meek's Cutoff

Una road-movie del oeste bellamente silenciosa.

15. J.J. 'Jake' Gittes's rating of the film Meek's Cutoff

It's easier to say what this movie is not meant to be about: western, women emancipation, leadership or indians. It's about sheer desperation. Imagine; how terrible the home of these people must have been, so they have decided to move... to nowhere. Like emigrants from Mexico or Syria/Aleppo. On the other hand this movie is so unemotional; and that is the most important shortcoming. You just watch, but don't share.

16. James Mackin's rating of the film Meek's Cutoff

Low-key, but tense. Reminded me a bit of Bresson. I quite enjoyed this, and I look forward to watching more of Kelly Reichardt's films.

17. taniaburrito's rating of the film Meek's Cutoff

18. Oneb's rating of the film Meek's Cutoff

Confident collaboration on the dangers and uncertainty faced by the American pioneers of the 19th century. The suggestion/revelation of a policy amongst the native Americans towards the pioneers elevates this film into profound territory.

19. Rita Barbosa's rating of the film Meek's Cutoff

Deeply intense, despite the slow pace.

20. benfardell@gmail.com's rating of the film Meek's Cutoff

I was really enjoying this, right up until the unsatisfying ending. 3 fifths of a great film.

21. Stevie M's rating of the film Meek's Cutoff

3.5 - 4 The slow pace of the film serves to heighten the drawn out and increasing desperation of the journey. Stunning cinematography of the wide-open landscape delivered in high definition... and a 4:3 aspect ratio!!

22. Magic Lantern Alison's rating of the film Meek's Cutoff

I would love to see this in the cinema. Such good cinematography and sound design. A slow mesmerising pace like the roll of the wagons that's both gripping and cryptic.

23. Joe Pryweller's rating of the film Meek's Cutoff

Treat this as a meditation on trust instead of a western survival epic. Reichardt and Raymond subvert myths about the rugged frontierspeople (they are lost and disoriented) and the Indian scout, who is unknowable but not fierce. All are cast in a deadly frontier where there should be no place for narrow thinking. The film's flaws lie in its ambiguous ending but Reichardt's vision of outsiders and place is strong.

24. Victor Gonzalez's rating of the film Meek's Cutoff

A masterpiece. The western is back.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7