1. El Biffo's rating of the film Meet John Doe

Great entertainment for squares! But so corny I could hardly stand it. I had to stop halfway through and get a pint of ice cream to make it bearable. Then it did start getting better, with some movie magic flourishes, and in the last scene Stanwyck pulls out all the stops. 3.5*

2. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film Meet John Doe

3. LauraPalmer's rating of the film Meet John Doe

I PROTEST! (against Trump)

4. FISCHER's rating of the film Meet John Doe

Un chef-d'oeuvre de Capra doublé d'une étonnante prestation de Gary Cooper... www.cinefiches.com

5. Aardsy's rating of the film Meet John Doe

Preachy and insufferable.

6. eugenie de sade's rating of the film Meet John Doe

could've been great but spiraled out of control over the top, especially in the final scene which ends up completely smothering the radical elements earlier in the film (the planted cops starting riots, the subversive feminism, the mass media manipulation) which could never get through a major hollywood studio today. barbara stanwyck is great though

7. Log Lady's rating of the film Meet John Doe

Surprisingly, not as vapid as other Capra crap, but I'm thinking it had something to do with Cooper and Stanwyck. Like always, though, my patience wore thin after halfway and all the heavyhanded "message" shit.

8. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film Meet John Doe

Viewing "Meet John Doe" was the first time I recognized that I had any critical discernment. I was watching one of the early scenes with Stanwyck. I remember thinking, "God, she's good." The film itself is very uneven and muddled.

9. Renton47's rating of the film Meet John Doe

John Doe had me running loops around my head trying to parse its meta construct. As the bigwigs attempt to capitalise on the little man, is the film not another marketing tool for the unification of the masses. Sure the message is hope but I couldn't help siding with Brennan's skepticism, which in itself is a byproduct of too much apathy. Starts strong, weighed down by characters and seriousness.

10. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Meet John Doe

11. SpacePirate's rating of the film Meet John Doe

12. Illusion Travels By Streetcar's rating of the film Meet John Doe

"Powerful naivete." http://illusionpodcast.blogspot.com/2014/11/episode-38-frank-caprabarbara-stanwyck.html

13. Dogville59's rating of the film Meet John Doe

I don't care if it is Capracorn it is awesome and we need John Doe and John Doe clubs now more than ever before since Reagan and Thatcher have spear headed movements of such selfishness, greed, nastiness, lack of concern for others and sheer down right rottenness we need John Doe and we need Capra.

14. msmichel's rating of the film Meet John Doe

It's a shame Capra never had the chance to adapt an Ayn Rand novel...just imagine Capra's take on 'Atlas Shrugged'. Capra's classic blend of Americana and socialism is on full view here in this '41 stable and its message is not mislaid by its schmaltzy 'everyman' story. Cooper and Stanwyck play to type and Arnold makes a good slimy politician. Nowhere near as dated as it should rightfully be though...alas.

15. wax@waxsm.com.au's rating of the film Meet John Doe

While not as finely-honed as some of his other films, there are insights into Capra's life-long anti-capitalist people-power project.

16. Aflwydd's rating of the film Meet John Doe

Yet another inane synopsis :(

17. Michael Harbour's rating of the film Meet John Doe

MEET JOHN DOE starts off so well; with wit and charm and chutzpah. It descends into a series of more and more closely packed "inspirational" speeches which become increasingly tiresome. Even James Stewart wouldn't have been able to deliver round after round of these convincingly, and he's the master. The first half or so, though, is a gem.

18. Polype's rating of the film Meet John Doe

Drôle de film, au propos à la fois iconoclaste et mièvre. Éminemment américain, ce qui ne l'empêche pas d'être extrêmement bon.

19. codyhunter's rating of the film Meet John Doe

A+. "I don't think he was any fake, not with that face."

20. Joe Morton's rating of the film Meet John Doe

This is the GREATEST film EVER. IMHO

21. axsaxs's rating of the film Meet John Doe

As much as I like Capra and Cooper/Stanwyck as a pair, this was a bit of a drag. Started out well, then it started with all these allusions to Christ and his sacrifice. The blatant anti-fascist message is understandable for the historical context, but overall this film has too much heavy-handed moralising.

22. MarcH's rating of the film Meet John Doe

Nauseating populism speeches from "the mob" and plenty of Walter Brennan schtick pad out the 30-minute plot to nearly 2 hours. Stanwyck remains its saving grace.

23. Andreia Ribeiro's rating of the film Meet John Doe

I didn't find it as captivating as other Capra's works. Nevertheless, it has a powerful message that is as relevant today as it was seventy years ago.

24. Edward Copeland's rating of the film Meet John Doe

While it has its moments, Meet John Doe ends up displaying Capra's worst tendencies and compounds them with a Christ allegory and fears of American fascism. http://eddieonfilm.blogspot.com/2010/05/worlds-been-shaved-by-drunken-barber.html