1. Karl J. Kipling's rating of the film Ménilmontant

2. panagiotatos's rating of the film Ménilmontant

3. Elena's rating of the film Ménilmontant

Sad and beautiful silent movie

4. Peter Walsh's rating of the film Ménilmontant

Bristling and brilliant, a blast of fresh air in terms of form and style to what you might normally expect in silent cinema. It's not many silents that almost feel like slashers, at points.*

5. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Ménilmontant

6. Julia Miville's rating of the film Ménilmontant

This film had more plot in under 40 minutes than most films have in two hours.

7. Henri de Corinth's rating of the film Ménilmontant

I still like Brumes d'Automne more...

8. Mighty Quinn's rating of the film Ménilmontant

An interesting silent featurette that mixes melodrama with avant-garde techniques to tell a story with only body language and technique. It's very gloomy, opening on an axe murder of a couple, shot in close up with rapid editing, and then the story follows the two daughters of the victims, both of which fall in love with a man, both having different outcomes. The filmmaking is unique, but I found the story bland

9. Log Lady's rating of the film Ménilmontant

The most beautiful works of art are sometimes simple, and Ménilmontant is one of those where the story plays second fiddle to the way narrative is presented. The visceral opening scene, Sibirskaïa's gorgeous face and toned down acting (the bread scene), amazing editing... Sex scene that is only hinted at by using double exposure of thighs and fast traffic. Literally the most creepily ethereal thing I have seen.

10. Slow Immersion's rating of the film Ménilmontant

If ever there was a master who understood the essence of cinema. Apart from Brakhage, I don't think there has been a more important filmmaker in terms of what cinema was, before and after them. This piece is much more focused on emotions, gestures, and feelings, as opposed to the wonderful natural worlds shot in Backward, and Mists, but he still maintains such panache. Modern day film should take note of this visual.

11. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Ménilmontant

12. Peđa's rating of the film Ménilmontant

that scene where she's crying while eating bread is one of the saddest things i've ever seen...

13. Odile~'s rating of the film Ménilmontant

Una auténtica maravilla. Los primeros planos de Nadia son sublimes <3

14. Ruiz Buñuel's rating of the film Ménilmontant

Not a very interesting story but it looked good and the music was nice.

15. Quentin Carbonell's rating of the film Ménilmontant

Fantastic editing, rhythm, shots... A masterpiece I'm so happy to have discovered.

16. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Ménilmontant

Más que por su trama, es el tratamiento estético y formal de esta película lo que prevalece. Una película que sobrepasa la habilidad de un director como Jean Epstein, contemporáneo de Kirsanoff. Una joyita a valorar.

17. El Biffo's rating of the film Ménilmontant

I feel like pieces of this film are missing, it should be longer!

18. thrym's rating of the film Ménilmontant

one of the best short film

19. Johnny DuBiel's rating of the film Ménilmontant

An absolutely mesmerizing film that I imagine could be viewed an infinite number of times and feel fresh with each outing. The power of moving image at its finest. Jar editing, superimposition, cinematography, and a bevvy of other techniques far ahead of their time are utilized here. It is anchored by four majorly impactful sequences, two involving deaths and two exhibiting cinema's power to convey compassion.

20. http://letterboxd.com/James_'s rating of the film Ménilmontant

That we are able to understand so much from the beautiful fragments (traces?) Kirsanoff shows us points to the alchemy that lies at the core of the movement image's power. Essential.

21. Gylfi's rating of the film Ménilmontant

Talk about an opening scene that just attacks you right in the first minute, a brilliant start that captures your attention immediately. A very brave film, experimenting with the narritive structure, camera placement and movement (traces of the soviet montage can be seen), it creates this ethereal quality that is both beautiful and creepy at the same time. I loved it and will surely check out more films by Kirsanoff.

22. Adrian's rating of the film Ménilmontant

23. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film Ménilmontant

★★★★★ what was I waiting for to watch this? my kind of 20's movie, driven by Vertov's lessons, where images keep sounding louder than words.

24. crmantao's rating of the film Ménilmontant

By far the most exquisite filmmaking I have ever glanced while watching the entirety of the film. Sibirskaia's performace, moody atmospheric setting, Kirsanoff(?)'s amazing direction, I realized that this is a beautiful piece of non-intertitled silent film history during back at the 1920s, among with A Page Out of Order (A critically successful Japanese silent masterpiece made by 衣笠貞之助 with 井上正夫).