1. itwstlnd's rating of the film Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

Takeshi Kitano is pure acting genius O___O

2. Carlos Tejeda's rating of the film Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

Artículo ("Kane3"): https://lamiradadealbert.wordpress.com/2008/08/31/mr-lawrence-nagisa-oshima/

3. pluviosity's rating of the film Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

surprisingly captivating and charming, but too much stories being held back unnecessarily.

4. FISCHER's rating of the film Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

L'étrange relation entre le capitaine Yonoi, responsable japonais d'un camp de prisonniers anglais, dans l'île de Java (1942) et un soldat britannique, le major Celliers. On doute ! www.cinefiches.com

5. sonitsch.'s rating of the film Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

6. Chichago_'s rating of the film Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

Seeing David Bowie in school uniform has fulfilled my dream to see the perfect real life bishounen blonde hair senpai with an attitude; he reminds me of Tamaki Suoh from 'Ouran Koukou Host Club'.

7. James Mackin's rating of the film Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

David Bowie is a man's man, and Ryuichi Sakamoto is all about that.

8. Emile Tremblay's rating of the film Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

9. Güven Şahinkanat's rating of the film Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

I had an album called 1996 ,I preferred to listen merry christmas mr . lawrence ,sheltering sky without the need for other albums, bc I was fell in love with melodies.I ve forgot bertolucci's sheltering sky and I must rewatch again. but its song and final scene are in my mind. sakamoto is an artist who makes movies more special and unforgettable.Half of the film is music or sound.this film's half part is sakamoto.

10. film_lies101's rating of the film Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

Everyone seems to be acting in a different film

11. Jessy Wolfe's rating of the film Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

David Bowie, Ryuichi Sakamoto and Takeshi. <3 Nothing left to say.

12. Aaken's rating of the film Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

I can't believe it took me so long before I watched this great film. Ôshima as often in his films, explores the violence of human desires, its codes and love, this time between a Japanese officer and his British prisoner. The film is also 'duel' between two great international pop icons: David Bowie, magnetic and otherworldly, and Ryuichi Sakamoto who also composed the haunting score. Superb and...haunting

13. J.J. 'Jake' Gittes's rating of the film Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

Stay with what you know; David Bowie beared this in mind. The rest of the cast (especially the non-Japanese actors) was not doing much better. Bad script, terrible dialogues, very slow development & almost no thrilling, no exciting element. Everything is very much predictable, unconvincing & overall heavily boring. "Furyo" is about clash of cultures, individuality vs community, but couldn't make it.

14. V.S. Luoma-aho's rating of the film Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

3,5. I've read Oshima didn't really direct the British cast, he just asked them to do "stuff you British do". I think this shows somewhat; something is a bit off, some power & motivation is lacking from the movie. I can't really put my finger on it, there was nothing wrong with the acting per se and I find the central moral problems (duty, homosexualism, honor in different cultures etc.) truly interesting.

15. Samuel Donath's rating of the film Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

3.5 Great intense performances. Another layered film by Oshima.

16. Pietro Lorenzo Pescatore's rating of the film Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

A film exploring the violent tensions and madness of a prisoner of war camp and the power of individual actions. I wonder if Hara's denouement might be interpreted as more than forgiveness for the individual, whether it might symbolically stand for broader Japanese crimes? I know which interpretation I prefer.

17. Dominic Simard-Jean's rating of the film Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

Kitano's performance is beyond words.

18. Marv1n's rating of the film Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

Quelques scènes marquantes... et la BO de Sakamoto

19. Corriel's rating of the film Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

Nice music, great actors, interesting setting, deep thematics, touching story. A masterpiece!

20. Ostermyers's rating of the film Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

21. peaches and plums's rating of the film Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

22. iambents's rating of the film Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

Bowie shines in the quite bizarre Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence - the music by the way is brilliant

23. 101010101010110's rating of the film Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

Ryuichi Sakamoto's music makes for 75% of the movie for me.

24. Dèny Hendrata's rating of the film Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

i thought Bowie was quite impressive here (i.e eating flowers, pissing Sakamoto off)