1. kinotopia's rating of the film Merry-Go-Round

hell ya Joe Dallesandro in a Rivette movie. dreamy.

2. film_lies101's rating of the film Merry-Go-Round

Rivette's most accessible and paradoxically, his most sluggish

3. Matt Reddick's rating of the film Merry-Go-Round

I can't think of a worse partner to have for trying to solve a mystery than Joe Dallesandro.

4. Ben Loory's rating of the film Merry-Go-Round

there is a freshness and an originality to rivette i find thrilling, despite the fact that the movie sucks and i'm bored out of my mind

5. DrFirestone's rating of the film Merry-Go-Round

The mystery, as well as unique to Rivette touch of madness are all present, however the plot isn't engaging enough. That hard to pinpoint element of brilliance is missing, it might be that the setting and story are more "down to earth" and as a result the film being not as poetic and dreamy as the majority of Rivette's work. Still, it is a unique, daring film worth watching, but expect slight disapoinment.

6. fearraigh's rating of the film Merry-Go-Round

A long, madcap, intriguing and ultimately sombre caper from Rivette. Not sure if the casting of Dallesandro really works given his largely bloodless presence as a leading man but the film is endlessly interesting.

7. Kaonashiii's rating of the film Merry-Go-Round

I particularly liked the bass clarinet in this, although it actively annoyed my cat.

8. Simonas's rating of the film Merry-Go-Round

Watch it. Even if you didn't like Rivette's other films.

9. captainfez's rating of the film Merry-Go-Round

Strange and fractured, but this has something the other Rivettes I've seen so far don't. Could it be the fact that there's a bad guy who looks like Brian Eno? Maybe.

10. G.'s rating of the film Merry-Go-Round

Bumbling, barely coherent beauty.

11. Ruiz Buñuel's rating of the film Merry-Go-Round

I like the deconstruction of genre and the way the abstractions stand on their own. It's a shame that the various parts don't live up to the way they are put together.

12. David R Williams's rating of the film Merry-Go-Round

Reading this article from Slant helped me more appreciate this film even if I still do not particularly like it: http://www.slantmagazine.com/film/review/merry-go-round - Still Rivette is always worth watching if only for the chances he takes.

13. jojoweb's rating of the film Merry-Go-Round

A perfect example of experimentation made during the "new wave" period of french cinema. Like in many films of the movement, the experiment fail. Breaking the codes can't be the unique purpose of a movie-maker...

14. Olivier Serafinowicz's rating of the film Merry-Go-Round

15. Kerem Sadi Ekiz's rating of the film Merry-Go-Round

No matter how hard I try couldn't love any Rivette movie I've seen more than three stars. It just looks and feel amateurish comparing to Lynch cinema. Just my opinion.

16. Michael Zyx MH Claes's rating of the film Merry-Go-Round

Precursor to ROAD TO NOWHERE, with Maria SCHNEIDER & Danièle GEGAUFF (Paul GEGAUFF ex wife, CHABROL's writer, stabbed by his 40 years younger girlfriend who took him at his word when he said "Kill me if you want but stop pissing me off"). J-F. STEVENIN Joe DALESSANDRO (WARHOL's toyboy) GAREL (father) & Mitterrand (nephew). In short, a cabinet of curiosities. == Long & abscon fourre-tout, Moulinsart cinématographique.

17. Timmy93's rating of the film Merry-Go-Round

My third Rivette film and the first one I didn't like (or hated). The story went nowhere with uninspiring performances.

18. em's rating of the film Merry-Go-Round

19. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Merry-Go-Round

20. Cid Medeiros's rating of the film Merry-Go-Round

Mystery puzzled bilingual anglo-franco kind of movie. Even though quite amusing during the first 90 minutes, the plot gets over puzzled and goes way too long for its own good. Still worth watching for the cello and bass clarinet duet music transition which collaborates enormously with the story engaging and thriller feeling through out the movie.

21. Ben Peric's rating of the film Merry-Go-Round

It's just Jacques having ideas, some great some meandering and other damn tedious

22. Jason's rating of the film Merry-Go-Round

Oh, just another impossibly cool Rivette masterpiece. This is his best straight-out terminal sleuthing movie. Some seriously hip Borges delirium. Incredible calculation in making cinema seem to "just happen" like this. Barre Phillips on bass! (He's a hero of mine.) And the other interstice: Spy vs. Spy - Hermine Karagheuz developed a moving-around-in-the-frame body of work w/ Rivette that rivals Chaplin's. Sublime.

23. Landen Celano's rating of the film Merry-Go-Round

Maria Schneider connection aside, the thematics feel very Antonionian.

24. Erik F.'s rating of the film Merry-Go-Round