1. Louis Robert's rating of the film Meshes of the Afternoon

This thing was made in 43? Woah

2. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film Meshes of the Afternoon

An experimental masterpiece that truly captures the experience of dream in all its associative richness. The surreal imagery and circular logic are especially striking, but what raises the piece to something extraordinary is the combination of the cinematography with Deren's physicality: the grace of her movement and the way the energy of her footsteps seems to spring directly from the screen. Entrancing.

3. Peter's rating of the film Meshes of the Afternoon

4. Richard Tines's rating of the film Meshes of the Afternoon

A recursive, oneiric short, (from 1943!) where the domestic objects take on an onimous and/or ungraspable form...to analyze this would be to demystify it, so i'll just tip my hat to the makers and walk on, occasionally looking back and shaking my head in awe (check out Deren's explorations of the body in movement, such as her "Meditation on Violence"...

5. tjieu's rating of the film Meshes of the Afternoon

Bunuel did this better, 20 years earlier...

6. Dan and Val Freeman's rating of the film Meshes of the Afternoon

Feels like 1960s rather than 1943 so perhaps way ahead of its time. Great use of imagery and music and the battered black and white 16mm film stock only adds to the effect.

7. DrFirestone's rating of the film Meshes of the Afternoon

Truly incredible - it really deserves its legendary status. One of the most memorable, dreamily surreal, and disorienting experiences even to this day. There aren't many films conveying the weird, uneasy feeling of a reoccurring dream or, perhaps, a nightmare. Beautifully shot with some impressive camerawork, choice of angles, use of shadows and reflections. Absolutely worth spending the 14 minute running time.

8. Ralph Melcher's rating of the film Meshes of the Afternoon

An impressive and imaginative film very well structured, like piece of visual music. Like a Lynch film it evokes a dream world of repetitions and duplications within a tightly choreographed structure of light, shadow and movement. Very ambitious for a ‘home movie.’ It has a particularly timeless quality. (I wish they’d blown the dust off the lens.)

9. Kwemo's rating of the film Meshes of the Afternoon

Truly shows the power of two creative minds working together with a vision and no money.

10. zubee's rating of the film Meshes of the Afternoon

11. G x's rating of the film Meshes of the Afternoon

A superbly crafted film, full of atmosphere and anxiety. A really great score too.

12. Kasia Chojecka's rating of the film Meshes of the Afternoon

amazing piece, very disturbing though

13. raggiodisole's rating of the film Meshes of the Afternoon

Up there with the best surrealist film, unsettling, dreamlike and all the other things you'd want a film to be. Perfect in form.

14. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Meshes of the Afternoon

Although not entirely sure of what I just watched, I am entirely sure that I loved it. Dark, intriguing, unsettling images that remain striking and impressive, even over 70 years later.

15. joao.crepschi's rating of the film Meshes of the Afternoon

16. dionysus67's rating of the film Meshes of the Afternoon

Undoubtedly an important and visually innovative film. The poetry is there and the disorienting camera enhances the effect of fragmentation in the splinters of the subconscious (effectively handled in the staircase & the mirror/seashore shots). Yet this is no Cocteau, Bunuel, Clair, Alexandrov. The surreal tricks lack semantic density, considering how the latter filmmakers enlisted reality in order to demolish it.

17. ronny's rating of the film Meshes of the Afternoon

18. keithinhull's rating of the film Meshes of the Afternoon

19. angeldromero's rating of the film Meshes of the Afternoon

Mesmerizing, frightening and very impressive.

20. ejonline's rating of the film Meshes of the Afternoon

I often find that when I finally get around to seeing something that has so thoroughly influenced subsequent art that I have already engaged with that I only experience the original piece at an intellectual level. As in, "Oh, I can see why this became so influential" rather than, "Oh, damn, this really moves me." This was an exception. While I was not blown away, I felt I was watching it rather than studying it.

21. Waynajarawy's rating of the film Meshes of the Afternoon

Nothing to add to this great artwork. Magnificent.

22. TheOnomatopoeicMan's rating of the film Meshes of the Afternoon

I’m sure this has some cultural significance but... Apart from ol’ mirror-face the imagery was run of the mill and uninspiring. Is there a word to describe something that was avant-garde but now looks traditional? Post avant-garde? #yawn

23. guillermo's rating of the film Meshes of the Afternoon

The stuff our minds are made of.

24. Jenny Miranda UTR's rating of the film Meshes of the Afternoon

This movie was a waste of film. I had to read the summary to get better understanding of what I was watching. It did not help that the film was silent. Sound and music help give tone and mood to a film which this film lacks. There are so many dramatic moments which are ruined but the sheer silents of the film. I wouldn't recommend this film to anyone, it would be a simple waste of time and memory.