1. Josh the Bookseller's rating of the film Messiah of Evil

Lovecraftian Giallo fusing its source materials' best (atmosphere, hallucinatory visuals & set-pieces) & worst (camp, misogyny, tired kill-scenes) qualities. Also the music is bonkers. Like 'Carnival of Souls,' this zombie flick is commendably ahead of its time & the vibes are mesmerizing while the actual scares often fall flat. Ultimately 'Messiah of Evil' is cool as hell--just prepare your eyes to roll a few times.

2. Henri de Corinth's rating of the film Messiah of Evil

Rewatch. Still one of the best (and best-looking) American horror films around. You could set almost anything in a deserted beach town and I would probably enjoy it, but this film so good at exploiting small-town American life -and by extension, traditional 'American' values- in a horror register.

3. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film Messiah of Evil

1.5 Makes a great attempt at spoiling some brilliant cinematography...

4. Patricia's rating of the film Messiah of Evil

Luscious mind fcuk.... weird zombie glade to have found this film. With its erie scenes and mental breakdowns, very interesting and "wtf" moments, personally liked th mixture.

5. Nick Schwab's rating of the film Messiah of Evil

With the lucid visual poetry of Lynch's Lost Highway or Argento's Suspiria, and the loose daydream logic of 1971's Let's Scare Jessica To Death, Messiah of Evil is an early arthouse zombie film. There are very few scenes that aren't memorable, whether it be due to the style, atmosphere, creative ideas, or the acting (Greer was a high-class actor.) The resolution, however, is rushed, robbing some of its purity.

6. marco's rating of the film Messiah of Evil

horror films directed by women (1966-2014)

7. Landen Celano's rating of the film Messiah of Evil

Moral: don't sit in the front row of the cinema.

8. film_lies101's rating of the film Messiah of Evil

This one is a slow burner, reminded me a bit of 'Carnival of Souls'

9. Paolo Simeone's rating of the film Messiah of Evil

In the vein of some Cormanesque seaside horror classic, but with a bunch of brainless zombie coming to bore you. I suppose some very good cinematography by Stephen Katz suffices for people to scream at a masterpiece or a hidden gem, but they are probably accustomed to modern horror movies. If this one is not as famous as The Fog or Humanoids from the deep, there should be some reason.

10. Graham Duncan Hill's rating of the film Messiah of Evil

Thoroughly enjoyed this one. A zombie film that had more in common with HP Lovecraft than George Romero. The nightmarish storytelling with lack of explanations made this film all the more ethereal. The sometimes difficult to listen to theme song added to the nightmarish quality of the film.

11. Joshua's rating of the film Messiah of Evil

If I could make love to a film it may very well be this one. I prefer many to it, but few soothe me as such.

12. Ryan Estabrooks's rating of the film Messiah of Evil

Great find! Stylish and moderately paced movie that will may you say "WTF"? Was lucky enough to see this on the big screen recently

13. ‏ㅤ's rating of the film Messiah of Evil

14. sammy's rating of the film Messiah of Evil

15. Craig B's rating of the film Messiah of Evil

I've been wanting to see this for so long.

16. Alex Delarge's rating of the film Messiah of Evil

I just picked up the remastered dvd which, for some mysterious reason, is not available on Netflix. My reaction: Antonioni adapts Shadow Over Innsmouth! Very good horror film that is more style than substance...but what style! Review coming soon:)

17. Scout Tafoya's rating of the film Messiah of Evil

Brilliant lo-fi psych horror.