1. Ruby's rating of the film Metal: A Headbanger's Journey

I'm biased towards this film as I first watched it in the cinema as a fourteen year old who had just discovered Slayer & Black Sabbath and unabashedly adored it. Upon re-watching, it is a great doco and Dunn covers a lot of ground (particularly love how he addresses issues of sexism in the scene!)- Plus, his interview with Gaahl from Gorgoroth is probably the best summary of black metal caught on camera.

2. BernardoDiniz's rating of the film Metal: A Headbanger's Journey

3. Johnny Mislow's rating of the film Metal: A Headbanger's Journey

Great documentary! Very educational! If you want to find a bit about the Heavy Metal legacy and culture, my advice would be to watch this movie.Very accurate.

4. waywardwaters's rating of the film Metal: A Headbanger's Journey

Sam Dolt wouldn't know culture if it gave him balenitis. Please, tell me more about the philosophical merits of "Born to Be Wild," sitting on your Iron Maiden bar stool, fanatically waving your Kiss lunch box you fucking aspie. Time to gather the juggalos, since according to this faggot, metal is not about rejecting the unjust slave mentalities of modern society but embracing the lowest of society's rejects.

5. Clayton Wong's rating of the film Metal: A Headbanger's Journey

A more cursory look at metal than I had hoped for, but a nice primer for the uninitiated.

6. Dominic Athanasiou's rating of the film Metal: A Headbanger's Journey

By far one of the best documentaries ever made. Respect to Sam Dunn and the crew!

7. Dav I.D.'s rating of the film Metal: A Headbanger's Journey

No matter what cries of distaste metalheads may produce (I'm a metalhead myself), this is a documentary on the genre that is far beyond sufficient. Keep in mind that interpretation has to be made as to what metal is limited to, when it started, and- what the hell is a subgenre anyway? The fact that such a well-researched film can communicate the overriding truths of the scene in barely over 1.5 hours is miraculous.