1. FISCHER's rating of the film Metro Manila

Une histoire simple, sans action d'envergure ni personnages lourdement héroïques, un habile évitement d'un pathos insidieux et disponible, pour un résultat bienvenu, de bon aloi et qui laisse une bonne impression, un bon souvenir... www.cinefiches.com

2. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Metro Manila

3. mpho3's rating of the film Metro Manila

"Metro Manila is so spellbound by its setting that it is a good hour before we discover what kind of film it is going to be. It begins as a swirling drama of survival in the Filipino capital — but then suddenly it slips off down an alleyway, only to emerge a scrupulously engineered, Christopher Nolan-ish crime thriller." - Robbie Collin, The Telegraph

4. daniela trocilo's rating of the film Metro Manila

Total crap. The purpose is: get a westerner director to showcase the sad gritty lives of the poor people of the Philipines to western audiences in an educational fashion. Indulge in reality cliches to make the viewer feel so bad that ditching reality altogether in the end will work by appeasing their consciences.

5. Dogukan4Ever's rating of the film Metro Manila

6. tommy cruise's rating of the film Metro Manila

7. Ultra Kebab's rating of the film Metro Manila

8. Violins By Night's rating of the film Metro Manila

Perhaps a little clichéd and baggy in places, but Metro Manila is saved by strong and committed performances that help keep the viewer invested right through to its satisfying finale.

9. Skinnedteen's rating of the film Metro Manila

I have to be honest, I was quite surprised by the plot. Interesting film!

10. Morris Bros.'s rating of the film Metro Manila

11. sarunasm's rating of the film Metro Manila

Cliches, poor logic and that's it.

12. msmichel's rating of the film Metro Manila

Sean Ellis follows up 'Broken' and 'Cashback' with this foray into Metro Manila and has made one of the year's most transfixing and exciting films. A tale of a farmer and his wife forced by poverty into the city who take dangerous jobs to start over and support their young children. At first he feels he has achieved a good job but soon finds himself manipulated into a heist and possible destitution. A total gem.

13. supertinycat's rating of the film Metro Manila

There are cliches and the drama can be painfully slow. The ending and the brilliant acting, especially by John Arcilla, are the redeeming forces here. Still, thumbs up to Sean Ellis for a brave portrait of Filipinos who leave their lives in the provinces to try their luck in Metro Manila.

14. spiderliliez's rating of the film Metro Manila

Surprised... that's how it was watching this movie. You would think you've heard that, seen that.. all that... but this film gave more in the end. I'm glad I took the chance to watch a local film that I barely do nowadays.

15. nietzschicharonsky's rating of the film Metro Manila

sean ellis for president of republic of la isla de pilipinas

16. Carlos Filipe Freitas's rating of the film Metro Manila

Story's tragic outcomes were far expected, conjointly with the suitable pace adopted, in a film that works very well as a slow-burning drama, heist thriller, and bitter analysis of a problematic country. (3.5 stars)

17. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film Metro Manila

★★★★ postcards from Hell.

18. Nadin's rating of the film Metro Manila

Pretty disappointing. My advice: stick to Filipino/a directors if you want to watch films about the Philippines. More detail on my blog: http://iurl.no/q6tt8

19. MATTEO BITTANTI's rating of the film Metro Manila

It reminded me of Graceland. A splendid effort from the director of Cashback and The Broken.

20. Gabby Benjamin III's rating of the film Metro Manila

21. Fellinifan's rating of the film Metro Manila

I hope MUBI can show this film soon - it is hard to access otherwise.

22. Michael Harbour's rating of the film Metro Manila

Family drama. Social commentary. Heist movie. It's a bit light and in each element, but the combination is pretty effective.

23. linuskendall's rating of the film Metro Manila

Gut-wrenching story about poor farmer taking his family to Manila to find a better life. In what seems like an endless series of lucky breaks and disappointments, the farmer's naivety eventually wears off and out of desperation he sorts out a final solution for his family.