1. Walker's rating of the film Metropolitan

A New York City fairytale, a Jane Austen novel for the end of the century, an intoxicatingly witty comedy of manners, an amber encased look inside the living diorama of the urban haute bourgeois and their accidental infiltration by the naive faux-socialist outsider Tom Townsend, a quietly poignant and slyly satirical coming of age story: Metropolitan is all of these things. Stillman virtually defines "light touch."

2. Polónio's rating of the film Metropolitan

It's successful in the sense that it makes you feel like just another guest on one of those countless after-parties. But that's the problem, they're simply the worst after-parties one could go to.

3. jonrock411's rating of the film Metropolitan

Metropolitan was made for a low budget, $421,399 in today's money, and there are times when it shows, but in the end it doesn't matter. Stillman gives a movie that not only shows us the life of the rich teenagers, but lets us relate to them.

4. Gia de Almeida's rating of the film Metropolitan

It's not without its charm but it has aged terribly. Also, it gets repetitive very fast and the characters are so unlikeable that it becomes waaaaaayyyy too long for whatever it is trying to get across.

5. Josh's rating of the film Metropolitan

Never have I cared so little about such clunky acting. The amateurishness of the cast brings surprising credibility and charm to a tale of some very boojie little brats and the boys and girls who love them. Dry, funny and very good.

6. C'est Bastien's rating of the film Metropolitan

7. Log Lady's rating of the film Metropolitan

"I couldn't believe you're actually going to play bridge, such a cliché of bourgeois life." "That's exactly why I play. I don't enjoy it one bit." Jesus Christ. To think I actually thought watching these entitled little shits would be a good idea. I get the point, I get why it's supposed to be funny, and how the concept of a modern comedy of manners would apply, but this is just boring tripe.

8. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film Metropolitan

Unusual Academy Award nomination from Hollywood to an independent movie about upper-class people, but it is a well deserved nominee as the film is full of good dialogue and characters that have two facets (the one that they show everyone and the one that they hold secret to themselves) as they aspire to be perfect but probably will end up as failures.

9. postblueink's rating of the film Metropolitan

6/10 (07. 01. 2018). great first part, perfect character of Nick and view but very weak second part. it's not a bad film but only 3/5 and 6/10 for me.

10. Ieva Šukytė's rating of the film Metropolitan

11. www.tinyurl.com/amethystos's rating of the film Metropolitan

12. Barrett.'s rating of the film Metropolitan

I usually wouldn't like watching a group of people like this but the the script is witty, self deprecating and at times funny which made this enjoyable.

13. steeeeellaaaaa (Iulia N)'s rating of the film Metropolitan

reminds me a little of the breakfast club, but with rich kids. still good, though

14. kinotopia's rating of the film Metropolitan

Stillman must have been a Woody Allen fanboy who found out that Woody Allen does bad Eric Rohmer ripoffs and then proceeded to make a smarmier remake of "Suzanne's Career" that nobody asked for but white indie movie critics titillatingly embraced.

15. Sara Gaspar's rating of the film Metropolitan

16. gld48's rating of the film Metropolitan

Charming and intelligent. Typical Stillman.

17. ReineS's rating of the film Metropolitan

uhb – upper haute bourgeoisie. Does that really exist? A try out for all protagonists to see that they are not doomed to fail in this case. At least as peers.

18. LauraPalmer's rating of the film Metropolitan

Rewatched and re-loved. twitter.com/moontchock/status/804569178430644224

19. Aardsy's rating of the film Metropolitan

Finding acceptance is hard.

20. Peach's rating of the film Metropolitan

21. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film Metropolitan

****1/2 Would make a very apt double (or triple) feature with either or both of two films with salient overlaps: FEMALE TROUBLE (montage and stasis sharply cultivated to buoy the films' brilliantly comedic-declamatory natures) and CAROL (blown-up super 16 paradoxically(?) "grit"less, instead adding immeasurable elegance, texture, distance, and melancholy to its composed, alluring, fraught urban past).

22. s.birowo's rating of the film Metropolitan

I am very much liking the conversation eventuated in the film

23. Mark Tallo's rating of the film Metropolitan

It was a comedy but it really was not very funny. I guess I was not in on the joke.

24. João R.'s rating of the film Metropolitan

I really liked it, then I didn't, then I did - and it was a loop. In the end, it leaves a bittersweet feeling all over, for sure. I'm still confused.

← Previous 1 3 4