1. smndvdcl's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

Peak Curtiz. Whilst 'Casablanca' is his most iconic, 'Mildred Pierce' is a study of gender and class ahead of its time. A fascinating noir indeed.

2. Rocco's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

Has there ever been a more perfect marriage of actress and role? Curtiz's weepy noir is one of the quintessential films of its era, made so through his exquisite craftsmanship and Joan Crawford's hard-edged unflappability and chilly grace.

3. James Mackin's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

The star power that is Ms. Crawford was the only power that could so successfully merge the genres of melodrama and noir. And what a merger it is.

4. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

Ace noir psychodrama, packing in an impressive amount of sly statements about class and gender without ever forgetting that it should be an entertaining mystery nightmare played to the hilt. The pacing zips along—especially if you made it through the 6 hour HBO version—and the visuals play wonderful games with shadows. What's this I hear about Curtiz not being considered an auteur?

5. petit astronaute's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

6. érzéki's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

7. Alcock Hitchfred's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

A proper melodrama, clearly influenced by Double Indemnity. Not really surprised, considering the time it was released. I liked it, but I wouldn't watch it again.

8. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

6.9/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2S7

9. steeeeellaaaaa (Iulia N)'s rating of the film Mildred Pierce

Superb, even though it downplayed a lot of the controversial themes in the novel, still holds up and joan is stealing the screen

10. Terry_Moby's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

3.2 Great set design (particularly in the first act), interesting story, good actors. The death of the younger sister is surprisingly undramatic, no one seems to care too much. From today´s point of view, Butterfly McQueen´s role is truly embarrassing.

11. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

12. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

This is an OK film. I don't think it deserves its reputation. Crawford plays Crawford as an obsessive mommy. It straddles noir and woman's pictures. I think she was better in "Daisy Kenyon."

13. Aardsy's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

One man's poison is another man's meat.

14. Ryan Christopher Coleman's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

Mildred Pierce is a film that is beautiful to look at, thrilling to watch the first time around, and deeply satisfying to rewatch--Michael Curtiz creates fully embodied male and female characters, who sustain shockingly organic and complex relationships with one another. But MP's treasure is Joan, in the role Jeanine Basinger called a personification of "the totally capable but truly furious American woman."

15. Sarah J.B.'s rating of the film Mildred Pierce

16. bernardovazdecastro's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

3,5 Like Wyler, Curtiz is part of Hollywood system and this film show it. Still, instead of Casablanca (for example), you have the usual domain of the techniques with a twist (especially in the dialogues and in the use of shadows and mirrors). So yes this film deserves the recognition against the usual negative emphasis in is linear flashback composition or in is usual resource to consecrated elements in noir cinema.

17. Rebecca Lynn Johnson's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

This movie seemed to have the idea that if a woman seeks independence, she will only be met with negative consequences. Mildred never really made decisions for herself. They were either made for her family or her husbands (both she did not marry for love and neither treated her well). And in the end, she clung to her ex husband after they arrested her daughter. Curtiz did not form a very heroric protagonist.

18. Mx Nihil's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

Great camera work, but apart from that, it feels like your average melodrama. I prefer my noir films to be more gritty and violent than this.

19. Illusion Travels By Streetcar's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

"I'm not saying it's a solid adaptation. I'm saying it's the reason the story is still in the public lexicon." http://illusionpodcast.blogspot.com/2016/01/episode-87-mildred-pierce-from-michael.html

20. SpacePirate's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

Jeez her daughter kills me in this one. One of the best of all time. Top 50 imo

21. Tigrão's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

A wonderful, beautiful Joan Crawford, struggles to provide for that ungrateful spoiled-rotten little bitch daughter, under Michael Curtiz's lavish production and James M. Cain's incendiary social study. You can't really go wrong with that.

22. RodrigoPereira's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

This is why I fucking love adaptations.

23. N. C.'s rating of the film Mildred Pierce

Too melodrama to me, but Joan is brilliant.

24. zsa zsa's rating of the film Mildred Pierce