1. Filipe F. Coutinho's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

Honestly, I'm a bit baffled by the love this movie gets. The construction of the narrative is quite weak and makes for an uninteresting ride. The story is silly and succeeds mostly in showing that a strong woman doesn't necessarily make for a good mother. Also, wasn't the daughter-mother fate inevitable? Joan Crawford was good, but she has better roles. Jack Carson and Eve Arden were by far the MVPs for me.

2. El Biffo's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

"I want you to have nice things" / "The way you live isn't good enough for me" / "Personally, Veda's convinced me that alligators have the right idea. They eat their young." /// Mildred Pierce presents a persuasive argument for birth control. Also against marriage. Directed by Michael Curtiz (Casablanca). Cinematography by Ernest Haller (Rebel Without A Cause). 4+

3. Michael H. CLAES's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

The modern direction of CURTIZ is a ballet, juggling with virtuosity between the life episodes of magnificent CRAWFORD. Great photo & script by CAIN. The 3 men, as well as mother & daughter are perfect == La réalisation de CURTIZ sur 1 script de CAIN, très moderne, est un ballet jonglant avec virtuosité entre les épisodes de la vie de CRAWFORD, sublime. Cadrage superbe. Les 3 hommes, comme mère & fille, sont parfaits

4. musidora ducasse's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

5. Danny Mansfield's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

3.5 A fine gender and class study under a noir framework. Lighting and cinematography are superb and the performance of Crawford is great. Clearly a reflection of its time. Most likely a one-and-done film for me. Still nice overall, I suppose.

6. Severus Snape's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

7. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

Never really connected with the image Joan Crawford presented. This was an ok picture.

8. smndvdcl's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

Peak Curtiz. Whilst 'Casablanca' is his most iconic, 'Mildred Pierce' is a study of gender and class ahead of its time. A fascinating noir indeed.

9. Rocco's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

Has there ever been a more perfect marriage of actress and role? Curtiz's weepy noir is one of the quintessential films of its era, made so through his exquisite craftsmanship and Joan Crawford's hard-edged unflappability and chilly grace.

10. James Mackin's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

The star power that is Ms. Crawford was the only power that could so successfully merge the genres of melodrama and noir. And what a merger it is.

11. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

Ace noir psychodrama, packing in an impressive amount of sly statements about class and gender without ever forgetting that it should be an entertaining mystery nightmare played to the hilt. The pacing zips along—especially if you made it through the 6 hour HBO version—and the visuals play wonderful games with shadows. What's this I hear about Curtiz not being considered an auteur?

12. petit astronaute's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

13. érzéki's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

14. Alcock Hitchfred's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

A proper melodrama, clearly influenced by Double Indemnity. Not really surprised, considering the time it was released. I liked it, but I wouldn't watch it again.

15. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

6.9/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2S7

16. steeeeellaaaaa (Iulia N)'s rating of the film Mildred Pierce

Superb, even though it downplayed a lot of the controversial themes in the novel, still holds up and joan is stealing the screen

17. Terry_Moby's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

3.2 Great set design (particularly in the first act), interesting story, good actors. The death of the younger sister is surprisingly undramatic, no one seems to care too much. From today´s point of view, Butterfly McQueen´s role is truly embarrassing.

18. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

19. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

This is an OK film. I don't think it deserves its reputation. Crawford plays Crawford as an obsessive mommy. It straddles noir and woman's pictures. I think she was better in "Daisy Kenyon."

20. Aardsy's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

One man's poison is another man's meat.

21. Ryan Christopher Coleman's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

Mildred Pierce is a film that is beautiful to look at, thrilling to watch the first time around, and deeply satisfying to rewatch--Michael Curtiz creates fully embodied male and female characters, who sustain shockingly organic and complex relationships with one another. But MP's treasure is Joan, in the role Jeanine Basinger called a personification of "the totally capable but truly furious American woman."

22. S.J.B.'s rating of the film Mildred Pierce

23. bernardovazdecastro's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

3,5 Like Wyler, Curtiz is part of Hollywood system and this film show it. Still, instead of Casablanca (for example), you have the usual domain of the techniques with a twist (especially in the dialogues and in the use of shadows and mirrors). So yes this film deserves the recognition against the usual negative emphasis in is linear flashback composition or in is usual resource to consecrated elements in noir cinema.

24. Rebecca Lynn Johnson's rating of the film Mildred Pierce

This movie seemed to have the idea that if a woman seeks independence, she will only be met with negative consequences. Mildred never really made decisions for herself. They were either made for her family or her husbands (both she did not marry for love and neither treated her well). And in the end, she clung to her ex husband after they arrested her daughter. Curtiz did not form a very heroric protagonist.