1. kinotopia's rating of the film Millennium Mambo

starts off like a bedroom drama with Cassavete-inspired situations of domestic abuse but it eventually becomes a self-indulgent, narrated coming-of-age vehicle for the lead. probably stylistic ripoff material for "Lost In Translation". another one of those: "if they're so poor then how come their apartment was so much nicer than mine?" movies.

2. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film Millennium Mambo

"The best film about millennials since We Are Your Friends." - Peter Travers

3. FISCHER's rating of the film Millennium Mambo

Oeuvre limpide et nébuleuse, d'une simplicité effarante, impalpable et présente comme l'existence... www.cinefiches.com

4. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Millennium Mambo

5. ermete polpette's rating of the film Millennium Mambo

6. DSPRKY's rating of the film Millennium Mambo

The "youthfully banal" lens makes for a much more interesting result than you'd think.

7. opandadodavid's rating of the film Millennium Mambo

the camera work is messy at times

8. Loud Rocks's rating of the film Millennium Mambo

9. Mariana Basílio's rating of the film Millennium Mambo

10. emanuela's rating of the film Millennium Mambo

Bello bello. That nostalghia vibes for all memories and youth is so full of pathos.

11. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Millennium Mambo

12. Etienne Brossard's rating of the film Millennium Mambo

Love the use of electronic music in it

13. Feng Ling's rating of the film Millennium Mambo

a polished peek into the kind of explosive lifestyle that my parents' warned me against and one that I never (extremely rarely henceforth inconsequentially?) experienced despite my age.

14. mpho3's rating of the film Millennium Mambo

I'm with The Guardian's Derek Malcolm who writes, "You could say that the film is both too long and too thin.... But there are two blessings - the cinematography and the performance from Qi Shu as Vicky." The color palate and atmosphere are eveloping, but I found my interest waning heading into the second hour.

15. Zac Weber's rating of the film Millennium Mambo

Shifting camera angles and pulsing lights create a hypnotizing, surrealist feel. The long absences in dialogue accentuate the down-and-out mood, but the foreshadowing narration seemed awkward to me and I could never understand Vicky's desire to return to Hao-hao after she had an easy escape. It's too bad Shu qi has to spend so much screen time with Chun-hao Tuan.

16. David R Williams's rating of the film Millennium Mambo

Managed to get through first 20 minutes. Barely. Pointless snorefest. Not sure what film got the glowing reviews I read here, but it wasn't this one.

17. Omus's rating of the film Millennium Mambo

Oddly structured and beautifully shot, this isn't really a romance. It's more a meditation on a time and place. Great soundtrack.

18. Joe Pryweller's rating of the film Millennium Mambo

Treat Triple H's tale of dissolute youth as a mood poem to the twin demons of excess and waste. I particularly enjoyed the from-the-future narrative voice and the use of an omniscient camera that pans around a room like a bird from above surveying the action (or the wreckage, in some cases). I mark it down slightly for its sliver of a plot and an ending that left me a bit cold, literally and figuratively. 3.5 stars.

19. havana affair's rating of the film Millennium Mambo

fire techno beats and hao hao kinda hot

20. Rice Dream Girl's rating of the film Millennium Mambo

Hou's camera floats ghostlike through Taipei in this delirious reflection on romance. He goes for big emotion here, to mixed success — the film can be dull at times, but the dreamy nostalgic sequences featuring Lim Giong's score are pitch-perfect and absolutely heart-rending. He captures well the confused chronology of memory and the accompanying estrangement from one's own past.

21. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Millennium Mambo

Hou's films can be beautiful to look at and hard to follow, so some write him off as a stylist. But that ignores how he uses types of beauty (of Shu Qi, of night club raves, of a Japanese snowfall) to drive and frame the action. Hou was 53 when the film was made, and it's the work of an old soul looking back on a part of life that has only beauty to distract from how miserable it gets. A dream of rebirth.

22. dAlton Anthony's rating of the film Millennium Mambo

Not really sure what this film was trying to accomplish. It was so tightly wrapped that nothing and nobody was able to escape its grasp. Hsiao-Hsien's command of light, sound and texture won my confidence, but the film suffers from the Bergman complex. A man with a camera trying to examine women's interiority mesmerized and swept away by his stunning lead. Bergman, at least, accomplished something for his trouble.

23. Lewis Longino's rating of the film Millennium Mambo

As others have noted, the soundtrack to this film is beautiful. Lim Giong is at his best with the music. To that, both the music--which leads the entire film--and the personalities that are brought up by the music are stuck between frenetic unsurety and tender excitement for the future. It is all very surface and fast-paced as that was what the millennium brought with it.

24. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Millennium Mambo

A beautiful and completely shallow young lady living the incredibly tough life of smoking, drinking, dancing, fucking and whining. Utterly beautifully shot, however. Too bad the story is as surface-level as the protagonist, but still a wonder to look at. Mixed bag here to be sure.

← Previous 1 3 4