1. Ethan's rating of the film Mission: Impossible

There's nothing really spectacular about this film.

2. FISCHER's rating of the film Mission: Impossible

De la belle ouvrage, parfaitement efficace... www.cinefiches.com

3. Mahda Purmahdi's rating of the film Mission: Impossible

The first of the MI series may be simple-minded in it's dramatic aspects, but apart from the masterful direction of the action/suspenseful sequences, the film is playful in details and visual/narrative analogies (Corpses, trench coats, chairs and rooms) and there's a delightful Henry Czerny playing as IMF head of operation, which reminds me of Hitchcock even more than De Palma's directorial style does.

4. subtonal's rating of the film Mission: Impossible

5. James Mackin's rating of the film Mission: Impossible

It's interesting to look at, but it's probably my least favourite De Palma film. Shame about Emilio Estevez.

6. Mariana Mara Nascimento's rating of the film Mission: Impossible

7. DSPRKY's rating of the film Mission: Impossible

The central heist sequence is comparable to something from a Jean-Pierre Melville film. 3.5 stars.

8. BernardoDiniz's rating of the film Mission: Impossible

9. Kevin's rating of the film Mission: Impossible

I wish Brian De Palma would make more action films.

10. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film Mission: Impossible

I'm not a big De Palma fan but in many ways he was an inspired choice to bring MI to the big screen. He brings to it his customary cinematic self-consciousness, constantly playing with audience expectations and spy/heist tropes so that you can never be quite sure how seriously he is playing it. In this context Cruise's performance - straight, serious and intense - is perfect: a really enjoyable combination.

11. ceknklsn's rating of the film Mission: Impossible

12. Mark O. Stack's rating of the film Mission: Impossible

Tom Cruise yells so loud in an early phone call that the audio clips.

13. Renton47's rating of the film Mission: Impossible

A film to watch for its set pieces, all undeniably De Palma...the first half hour is perhaps the most classical of his work in this, and it's no surprise the action finale works least of all. He plays with his usual techniques of deception, which work well in a spy world, but he is not a director I need doing big-budget films. The basic principles of what this franchise becomes are all here.

14. Yayo's rating of the film Mission: Impossible

..and then, the helicopter scene at the end happened. Funny.

15. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Mission: Impossible

One great scene, or so it seemed at the time.

16. Joseph Howe's rating of the film Mission: Impossible

Very exciting with a great tense set piece in the middle. Shame about the helicopter scene at the end.

17. André Vieira's rating of the film Mission: Impossible

Well that was a nice surprise. Slick, fun and engaging. I wasn't expecting such a good flick.

18. Elena Lazic's rating of the film Mission: Impossible

19. Star Lord's rating of the film Mission: Impossible

Action movie che si lascia guardare.

20. Steve G.'s rating of the film Mission: Impossible

A weird combination of high budget Hollywood action blockbuster and....Brian De Palma. Bizarrely, it works extremely well because you get lots of the best of those two things as well as a great cast doing a largely very decent job.

21. Robert Howard's rating of the film Mission: Impossible

I've always enjoyed this. Some really fun set pieces. What DePalma does is not easy, and that's why the sequels are not as satisfying. I love the international cast and the way the film plays out. The sequence in the tunnel at the end, with the chopper blade coming close to Cruise's throat, is classic.

22. Nikola Enchev's rating of the film Mission: Impossible

Everyone knows that one of the 1990s best films is True Lies...

23. Superfrog's rating of the film Mission: Impossible

I was well annoyed that MUBI programmed that. Yet, owing to a day off sick, I really enjoyed the film. Jean Reno is terrible, Tom Cruise is not too annoying yet, the technology is a bit ridiculous and the script not great. All in all, all that considered, it is surprising that the whole is pretty watchable.

24. Tall Paul's rating of the film Mission: Impossible

Well, on the plus side it's a jolly romp, and it does have Jean Remo in, which is always good news (see also "Ronin"). On the negative side the final action scene stretches the suspension of disbelief - which has been vital already - beyond breaking point. Oh and the blurring of Internet and Usenet is hilarious: all those lovely newsgroups. Take me back!