1. MisterColo93's rating of the film Mississippi Grind

2. Jeff Heinzl's rating of the film Mississippi Grind

A rare gambling film where winning is portrayed a kind of losing (insofar as we're all losers anyways), 'MG' could be understood as something radical if it wasn't for its totally bland, touristic style of filmmaking (St. Louis here, New Orleans there, yawn yawn yawn). It's a bit of a waste of Ben Mendelsohn, who here plays a version of Bloodline's Danny if Danny wasn't just down on his luck but utterly pathetic.

3. Cassidy Bell's rating of the film Mississippi Grind

Depressing as hell in a lot of ways. I'm not sure I'd say this movie's good, but Ben Mendelsohn was fantastic. I really liked the scene where he's at the piano with the Vanessa character.

4. Cbarky99's rating of the film Mississippi Grind

Loneliness of the Long-distance Gambler

5. Steve Pulaski's rating of the film Mississippi Grind

A film that really reminds us how much can be done with so little; a film predicated upon its two leading characters, their dichotomous personalities, the way they both need and don't need each other, function in their downtrodden situation, and embrace it in different ways. A movie that shows off the basics in a bold way.

6. DarthVader's rating of the film Mississippi Grind

Bazen sırf kaybetmek için oynar insan.

7. Tudor Buhatel's rating of the film Mississippi Grind

8. James Mackin's rating of the film Mississippi Grind

Ben Mendelson and Ryan Reynolds together are an absolute hoot. Everything else in this film was something you had to get through to get back to those two.

9. msmichel's rating of the film Mississippi Grind

The script written by the co-directors gives in to cliché and easy plotting far too often to be very effective. That is a total shame because the core performances could have elevated this to something truly special otherwise. Ben Mendelsohn is cast perfectly as the compulsive beaten gambler still looking for that one win that will change everything and Ryan Reynolds is effective here as well. Nothing special.

10. Elephants_Gerald's rating of the film Mississippi Grind

The thing about Boden & Fleck is that they take clichés and they don't even bother to transcend them – they just make films warm enough to live in. GRIND was by-the-numbers and yet, just like with HALF NELSON, I was there the whole time. The miraculous performances by Mendelsohn and Reynolds help, but this is what B&F do: they're craftspeople. They made a solid, satisfying piece of storytelling.

11. Mark_T's rating of the film Mississippi Grind

Captures the highs and lows of the gambling scene. Compulsive viewing.

12. vordven's rating of the film Mississippi Grind

13. ABVH's rating of the film Mississippi Grind

3.5 Sideways with gambling.

14. Renton47's rating of the film Mississippi Grind

If you need any more proof that there is a hole at the heart of the human experience, look no further than what people are up to in the most developed countries in the world. No amount of living will come close to the satisfaction some get from the roll of the dice or flip of the card. Betting on something arbitrary might be enough to convince us there is some meaning to our sadness after all.

15. The Mayor Of Hell's rating of the film Mississippi Grind

Like being proved wrong from my preconceived notions, Ryan Reynolds is good in this even when being asked to emote. Ben is a godsend. Loved the southern road trip and the memphis establishing shots

16. Cláudio Martins da Silva Alves's rating of the film Mississippi Grind

This isn't the first time a film tries to pay homage to the New Hollywood cinema of the 70s, nor the first to try to explore the inherent darkness in the pursuit of the American Dream, but it's certainly one of the most successful in both counts. Exquisite craftmanship meets a painful, bruised humanity, brought to life by one of the best ensembles of the year. Mendelsohn is miraculous.

17. Mirela Dudaş's rating of the film Mississippi Grind

lousy ending, so "happy ending"

18. aliasgenius's rating of the film Mississippi Grind

4.5/5 Possibly the best gambling film I've seen.

19. Scott Lucas's rating of the film Mississippi Grind

Low key and lived in. It's good to have Boden and Fleck back. (And working with Ben Mendelsohn, no less.)

20. Jeremy Ashlyn's rating of the film Mississippi Grind

Sweetheart remake of Altman's California Split (which is actually not a better film - lookitup). Missing suave-as-fuck misanthrope 70's Elliot Gould but Reynolds is ok. The Eyes.

21. Adam Whybray's rating of the film Mississippi Grind

A decent mellow film about folks who are hurtin' trying to help each other out. Neither gambling nor bar fights are good ways to achieve this.

22. Fırat Ataç's rating of the film Mississippi Grind

23. smndvdcl's rating of the film Mississippi Grind

A very conventional narrative depicting the woes of a gambling addiction. The audience empathise with Mendelsohn and Reynolds enough to make a monotonous premise a worthwhile journey. Nonetheless, I am pleased to see Reynolds stretch his dramatic credentials, and who better to learn from than Mendelsohn. However, if I chose to watch a gambling buddy movie, I'd watch Redford and Newman in 'The Sting'.

24. Michael Peer's rating of the film Mississippi Grind

It starts off really slow and is pretty bland. The directing is questionable but the performances are strong. Everyone comes off as a real person, who has been wearing the same clothes for months. It picks up but it took a long time to get invested.