Welcome to MUBI.
Your online cinema. Anytime, anywhere.

Reviews of Mister Lonely

Displaying all 3 Review

back to Mister Lonely

joão pedro tomás

1Apr13

An artist finding his way through life.

That is one of the oldest tales of showbusiness, the showbusiness in itself, the artist and its creation into an unifying bliss. Pure, is what I would call this film. Mainly because Korine must’ve been on a very difficult time of his life when he had written this (the film was made in memory of his grandmother) – although he didn’t write this on his own (another remarkable attempt of pushing reality onto the film itself!) – and there is nothing more self-reflexive in cinema than the way the film was created being represented in the film itself.

Mister Lonely is not only a tribute to art and culture but also to actors and their acting, the acting as a way of life and their own acting in the film, portraying celebrities, impersonating them, giving them life, a new life to both of them. It’s, in fact, a way of surpassing our own obstacles, to try and fly, even if we’re high enough to fall onto the ground. It’s a way of discovering ourselves while letting others discover us. It’s a way of surpassing loneliness, even if we’re all lonely in this world— we might not be alone; but we’re still lonely. We’re all “Mister lonelies”, they’re all “Mister lonelies”. But we get along. We keep on thriving even if we haven’t already discovered our true purpose in life, its meaning, what we truly are, not only to ourselves but to others too. Because we’re not alone in the loneliness of our world. We just try not to think about it.

Michael​-John

30Dec08

Korine has an amazing ability to generate dialogue about his own films, and cinema in general. While Mister Lonely struggles to stand in greater context, it undeniable crafts an absorbing world upon itself that rewards anyone who takes the plunge. There are individual scenes in Mister Lonely that are so magnetic, so charged that you almost feel as if the air could ignite with wonder. Harmony has always had a knack for building characters that are nearly tangible on-screen in their eccentricities but also in their unrequited fallibility as humans. In Mister Lonely, Harmony shows us that he can also create equally powerful images; from the first time we see Marilyn to the skydiving nuns. If nothing else, this movie will refuel the cinemaphiles lust for a true auteur in an age of assembly-line “Indie” flicks.

William Rutledg​e

26Nov08

Those who think Korine failed with this film, don’t know enough about him. Just because he’s maturing doesn’t mean he’s losing his touch. Few films have left me numb, this is one that has and it was worthy ever beautiful moment. From the long, stretched out shot of Michael on his mini-bike to Herzog making a man pure again to one of the final shots in the film that will leave you completely disillusioned with life and with faith.