Welcome to MUBI.
Your online cinema. Anytime, anywhere.

Reviews of Mister Lonely

Displaying all 2 Review

back to Mister Lonely

Michael​-John

30Dec08

Korine has an amazing ability to generate dialogue about his own films, and cinema in general. While Mister Lonely struggles to stand in greater context, it undeniable crafts an absorbing world upon itself that rewards anyone who takes the plunge. There are individual scenes in Mister Lonely that are so magnetic, so charged that you almost feel as if the air could ignite with wonder. Harmony has always had a knack for building characters that are nearly tangible on-screen in their eccentricities but also in their unrequited fallibility as humans. In Mister Lonely, Harmony shows us that he can also create equally powerful images; from the first time we see Marilyn to the skydiving nuns. If nothing else, this movie will refuel the cinemaphiles lust for a true auteur in an age of assembly-line “Indie” flicks.

William Rutledg​e

26Nov08

Those who think Korine failed with this film, don’t know enough about him. Just because he’s maturing doesn’t mean he’s losing his touch. Few films have left me numb, this is one that has and it was worthy ever beautiful moment. From the long, stretched out shot of Michael on his mini-bike to Herzog making a man pure again to one of the final shots in the film that will leave you completely disillusioned with life and with faith.