1. Steve G.'s rating of the film Mona Lisa

The most important thing you need to know about Mona Lisa is that Bob Hoskins buys Michael Caine a rabbit.

2. Fırat Ataç's rating of the film Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa, Mona Lisa, men have named you You're so like the lady with the mystic smile...

3. Matthew Martens's rating of the film Mona Lisa

A book by John Franklin Bardin, the neglected American mystery novelist made quasi-English by his "discovery" there in the 1970s, is on display and under discussion throughout Neil Jordan's second and second-best film (The Company of Wolves' priority is unbudgeable). Bardin's stories, suffused with the loneliness of feeling and being (e)strange(ed), beguile us, a la Mona Lisa, unto half-smiles with their own.

4. kris's rating of the film Mona Lisa

This film has so much emotion, its about falling in love and trying to save someone from themselves. But not everyone wants saving! Great performance by the legend Bob Hoskins.

5. Mathias Palmberg's rating of the film Mona Lisa

Very good movie where Hoskins, Bates and Caine really shines in their respective roles. I know that stories like this (gangster redemption et al.) might be dime a dozen but Jordan is a good enough director to make this movie soar. The photo and music also works well. In my mind one of the best brit gangster movies since it focuses on the human issues instead of violence, heists or turfwars. Recommended.

6. Alexandre Roy's rating of the film Mona Lisa

Pretty terrific movie. I gotta admit I'm not too crazy about Neil Jordan's work overall, but this is pretty much his strongest effort. The plot is a bit predictable but Bob Hoskins gives a spectacular performance. He can pull off the tough guy persona like no other. He's never over-acting and his characters feel very human, very real. Too bad his talent was completely underused after that.

7. Lorna Singh's rating of the film Mona Lisa

To be seen mainly for the Oscar nominated performance of Bob Hoskins. He's not helped by a pretty obvious plot that seemed to run out of ideas,lacking surprises.

8. mpho3's rating of the film Mona Lisa

Never has the epithet "You fucking cow!" been used to such great effect, and what better actor than Bob Hoskins to spit it out.

9. Tigrão's rating of the film Mona Lisa

Neil Jordan is often hit or miss, but when it hits, like Mona Lisa, boy does it fucking work.

10. Mugino's rating of the film Mona Lisa

It causes anguish to look at Hoskins' filmography after watching this -- why are there so few films capitalizing on his nuance and power in a lead role?

11. Dave's rating of the film Mona Lisa

Bob Hoskins really is fantastic here. This is the first Jordan film I have seen and I really liked it. It had a definite Taxi Driver feel to it.

12. comeandsee's rating of the film Mona Lisa

this is early, great jordan. he almost melts into the background with the direction, which is exactly what is called for. bob hoskins is fucking amazing, with the tiniest ticks and the greatest roars, he does it all. i also sort of love michael caine here. the lines are sharp, witty and the work of a writer who was to come to personify irish cinema. this is almost the perfect start from one of my favourites.

13. Pierluigi Puccini's rating of the film Mona Lisa

Excelent neo noir. Bob Hoskins and Michael Caine are, for me, the De Niro and Pacino of the British Isles. It's great to watch them sharing scenes. Only some one as vulnerable and sincere as Hoskins could play convincingly and movingly a chauffeur ex con in love with the hooker he works for.

14. Publius's rating of the film Mona Lisa

I have a serious soft spot for films about guys who fall in love with prostitutes. This is another one for the canon.

15. HobartLazaro's rating of the film Mona Lisa