1. Matthew Catanzano's rating of the film Monkey Shines

A frightening idea, that is poorly paced.

2. Enrico Gaudenzi's rating of the film Monkey Shines

meglio **/ Un Romero quasi pop. Intrattiene, diverte, coinvolge ma non convince. Vedibile

3. Francisco R.'s rating of the film Monkey Shines

Despite the producers' meddling with the final product, this is a wonderful story about repressed anger and the animal spirit in all of us, with Romero concocting fascinating ideas into the story and crafting an spectacular, 30+ min final sequence that is incredibly suspenseful. The epilogue was a corporate addendum and should be ignored though, since it kills the momentum and atmosphere of the last minutes.

4. Morris Bros.'s rating of the film Monkey Shines

5. FISCHER's rating of the film Monkey Shines

L'horreur médicale version Romero, loin des zombies et autres morts-vivants. Intéressant huis clos... www.cinefiches.com

6. Samuel T.'s rating of the film Monkey Shines

I watched this maybe half a dozen times as a kid in the late 80's. More humans attempting to help and please themselves, aided by science and technology, with grim results (80's rule). It drags, and, while I'd really like to know more about what nurse Maryanne does on the side... it's an iteration of dark ravenous human impulse. War for the Planet of the Apes? Good luck holding down your sublet...

7. Henri de Corinth's rating of the film Monkey Shines

I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. It's Fatal Attraction with a monkey instead of Glenn Close (with a dash of chemically-induced telepathy and Poe's Rue Morgue). This was Romero's first studio film, and despite the obvious larger budget it's very economical in its construction; it never feels overproduced. The sunny photography and color schemes are nice too.

8. Matt's rating of the film Monkey Shines

Original and often compelling--one wonders how much better if would be if the lead were even slightly likeable.

9. speedball's rating of the film Monkey Shines

10. bernardovazdecastro's rating of the film Monkey Shines

Since "White Dog" i never saw a devenire animal so well constructed. The female monkey (and that's important, because being a female it became like alter-ego creating a sexual tension, or a passional motif if you prefer, in the crimes) in is dreams [the man's dream] established the possibility of revenge and that is the point that men can be hysterical (creating a new paradigm in freud's theory).

11. INZER's rating of the film Monkey Shines

12. film_lies101's rating of the film Monkey Shines

This was like a watching a lifetime movie but with monkeys

13. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Monkey Shines

Esa representación sobre cómo el hombre siempre alberga su lado perverso, lo instintivo o lo que en psicoanálisis sería el "ello". Aquí es el mono, quien siendo una especie pre-evolucionada, también se perfila como una criatura aprendiendo a reconocer a su "yo".

14. adina's rating of the film Monkey Shines

ok so when i was a kid my dad and me watched this movie and the scene with the monkey popping out of the back during the surgery has haunted my dreams since. my dad couldn't remember the movie at all whenever i'd talk about it and i FINALLY FOUND IT bwahahhaha

15. davehalb's rating of the film Monkey Shines

Somewhat silly but Romero is able to pull some scares out of this in the tense third act and there's no denying that it has some genuine pathos.

16. João Pacheco's rating of the film Monkey Shines

Finnaly here! A true masterpiece!

17. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Monkey Shines

Another variation about humanity by George A. Romero. What defines Man is the question. Highly recommended.