1. FISCHER's rating of the film Moonlighting

Etonnant metteur en scène qui de film en film parvient à une solide maturité... www.cinefiches.com

2. Sabah Haider's rating of the film Moonlighting

The script is an extraordinary study of the human condition in exile. This film is timeless and makes as profound of a statement today as when it was first released, perhaps even more so. Everyone should watch this film.

3. cin·aes·the·tic's rating of the film Moonlighting

The Poles are to (some) Brits as Mexicans are to (some) Americans. I found the theme of the film timeless, as it highlights the eternal plight of immigrants (illegal or not) seeking an improvement in their lives while also confronting the suspicion and xenophobia which keep them in the gray and black economies. Inspired choice of Jeremy Irons, one of the most 'Continental' British actors of our time. "An-na."

4. Feng Ling's rating of the film Moonlighting

seeing what I want to see, I saw a story of how life slips through the cracks to find a way. But now it hit me how Nowak's censorship was a metaphor... I do however have trouble with the God-in-a-predictable-soap-opera-machine with the homeless stealing the extra box of food and sweatshirt shenanigans. and extra points for actually renovating his apartment with the film

5. Scienceofphantoms's rating of the film Moonlighting

Like Pickpocket supplemented with some politics. Irons is...uneven.

6. mpho3's rating of the film Moonlighting

"The economy of Skolimowski’s means and the suggestiveness of his idiosyncratic vision merge perfectly. What did he need, really, to tell his tale of four poor schmucks caught in absurdist limbo?" (Richard Jameson, Parallax-View). Moonlighting's Poland only ever exists in the minds of the cosmically exiled protagonists; even we the viewers never see home. Ignorance is purgatory, solidarity brewed tin cans. 3.5 stars

7. David R Williams's rating of the film Moonlighting

8. corycorycorycory's rating of the film Moonlighting

Dense with uneasiness, and filled with an air of surrealism. Can't get enough.

9. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Moonlighting

(3.5) Irons is fascinating and subtle in this interesting little film. Great look at isolation and its effects on these characters.

10. Loz Loory's rating of the film Moonlighting

3.5 Nerve-wracking and "psychologically taut." If only he'd shown solidarity with his co-workers instead of trying to impose martial law, things might have worked out differently. Great to see Jeremy Irons full of energy and with healthy skin color. Sometime in the 90s, he segued into his current look of deathly pallor and exhausted demeanor.

11. Andrew Short's rating of the film Moonlighting

This film is totally mesmerizing. It's so strange. I couldn't tell if I was enjoying it while I watched it, but I couldn't get it out of my head once it was over. Another classic Polish film. It'd be great if Mubi could bring us some Wojciech Has!

12. crystal meff's rating of the film Moonlighting

13. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Moonlighting

I liked it at the time, but I think now that I probably wouldn't have watched it in the first place if the overall selection of movies wasn't so bad in the 80's. I think I just watched every movie from the video store.

14. HSBilly's rating of the film Moonlighting

irons is magnificent. is the house itself poland? just like roger ebert said.

15. msmichel's rating of the film Moonlighting

Skolimowski's Cannes winning script couldn't have been more topical on release. Skolimowski an exile from his home country of Poland found himself in the U.K. as the Solidarity uprising was taking place at home. The script resulting from this was both political agitation and black comedy that excelled as both. Irons as the English speaking Pole hiding the truth from his co-workers in a foreign land is sublime here.

16. EdieEmm's rating of the film Moonlighting

Relentlessly unnerving, thanks to taut direction and high-tension ambient score, the mood accentuated rather than relieved by the ample, heartwrenchingly wry sight gags, with no respite in the film's implications - as complex & equivocal as the political situation it explores, Skolimowski's microcosm is a masterwork of minimalist precision. Affecting w/out feeling manipulative; a cypher w/out feeling like a cop-out.

17. correy baldwin's rating of the film Moonlighting

Why were the Polish characters portrayed as buffoons? Why were they not developed as characters? Why was the film so disjointed? Why was it so bad?

18. Max Seqgar's rating of the film Moonlighting

19. Alysia Urrutia's rating of the film Moonlighting

In the same vein of British docu-dramas, the film has a palpable flavour of realism that punctuates this exilic tale with sympathy for human frailty. The simple and mundane nature of the film makes its humour all the more ridiculous and its sobriety all the more surreal.

20. Addy K.'s rating of the film Moonlighting

Four nervous men are clearing customs at a Poland airport while the fluorescents above flicker wildly, perfectly synced to Hans Zimmer's sinister electronics. Thus begins Jerzy Skolimowski's ingenious, metaphorical head trip with Jeremy Irons as the tormented Nowak trying to do right in a nightmarish London where capitalist Brits are no better or worse than socialist Poles. Humans as prisoners of their own system.

21. El Biffo's rating of the film Moonlighting

Skolimowski's cold, calculating directorial style is matched perfectly with Jeremy Irons' maniacally obsessive performance style and the result is a simple home renovation turned into an ultra-stressful nightmare, as harrowing as the life-or-death journey in ESSENTIAL KILLING, as strung-out as the drug-induced psychosis of DEAD RINGERS. 4.4 stars.

22. T. J. Harman's rating of the film Moonlighting

The comparison to PickPocket a commenter made below is very apt. I like how Skolimowski can glide effortlessly between the more surreal stuff he did in the 60s and to a more realistic take in this film. Irons' performance is his most subtle and restrained.

23. the prince's rating of the film Moonlighting

I love the fact that Skolimowski used this movie to renovate his actual London flat. . . and a great way to get a free film set and renovated apartment :-)

24. John Sandwich's rating of the film Moonlighting