1. Eriugena82's rating of the film Mother and Son

The story is extremely simplistic, practically archetypal. The only two characters are the dying mother and her son. Almost no information is revealed, we aren't even told their names; instead everything is conveyed through their loving interactions with one another. It has an extremely ethereal quality, whilst at certain points the landscape almost dissolves the 'action', conveying a strong feeling of isolation.

2. misu's rating of the film Mother and Son

3. Massimo Angius's rating of the film Mother and Son

4. Jordan Kaltz's rating of the film Mother and Son

falling asleep to this last night was relaxing. evocative like a painting, sonically calming

5. ruipsoliveira's rating of the film Mother and Son

6. lauli's rating of the film Mother and Son

I'm giving this film three stars only because it is beautifully photographed and there are some images which are worth remembering. But leaving that aside, it is definitely a snoozefest. I just refuse to believe that the only way to capture humane drama (like the loss of a mother) is by filming a slow, tedious film, with practically no dialogue. I see where Sokurov was going, but it's just not my cup of tea.

7. Sean Patrick Stevens's rating of the film Mother and Son

I was mesmerized by the strange geography of the house and the odd photography that is 73 minutes long yet it feels much longer!

8. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Mother and Son

9. MisterColo93's rating of the film Mother and Son

10. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film Mother and Son

A slow meticulous film about a devoted son and his dying mother. Framed as abstract moving paintings illustrating the unshakable love between mother and child. Haunting and incredible beautiful. There’s also a Father and Son but that got infamously homoerotic.

11. Philippe P. Marchetti's rating of the film Mother and Son

Very hard to watch but if you make an effort for the first 15 movie you will not be able to lay your eyes off the screen. Must see.

12. maksym hruszczenko's rating of the film Mother and Son

13. Nachtreich's rating of the film Mother and Son

14. bagno's rating of the film Mother and Son

15. L.F.G.'s rating of the film Mother and Son

audible painting, about the love of a countryman for his motherland (or so i've heard)

16. Vincent T's rating of the film Mother and Son

rated from memory. Needs a revisit.

17. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Mother and Son

Of Sokurov's films, this is the one that means the most to me, though I'll be unlikely to revisit it often.

18. Kamran's rating of the film Mother and Son

[REVIEW] 95/100 - MOTHER AND SON (Sokurov, 1997) 'A veil upon which reality is traced, augmented, and distorted just such that the uncanny is revealed...Sokurov's iridescent cinematography as usual brings life to nature, rendering...' Read More: http://bit.ly/1kSaC3a

19. James Matthews's rating of the film Mother and Son

Looks nice at times but doesn't really earn the high seriousness that it aspires to.

20. Du Bist's rating of the film Mother and Son

Peacefuly beautiful but lacks complexity. I would't distort those images either.

21. Muraki's rating of the film Mother and Son

Heavenly. watch it for it's dreamy landscapeses, the cinematography of the film featured a distorted images (by filming through painted glass panes & mirrors) that made the movie's own mood and the whispers .

22. ASHES IN THE HOURGLASS's rating of the film Mother and Son

These days, with a simple Google search, anyone can find some of the most beautiful images imaginable. As such, why should care about this snore fest that people seem to only be able to defend through it's so called beautiful imagery. For the sake of time, I should note that everything I hated here was only intensified with FATHER AND SON. Homoerotic or not, it shows just how little Sokurov knows about real people

23. nein's rating of the film Mother and Son

Beautiful. Simple and beautiful,

24. mastorna's rating of the film Mother and Son

The most intimate meeting point between poetry and cinema is perhaps the moment where a change in emotion is captured like the way sunlight changes with the passing of a cloud. This film is a great work of art and Sokurov is master of cinema.