1. ironbound's rating of the film Mother of George

some perfect insights into the chaos when love is defined as marriage.

2. mpho3's rating of the film Mother of George

"Gurira and De Bankolé give electrifying performances .... Young’s cinematography is sensual and hypnotic w/ dramatically shallow DOF and strikingly off-kilter compositions. The poetic visuals create a disorienting sense of being at once immersed in the characters’ world and kept at a distance." - K. Jones, Film Comment. A striking soundtrack and vibrant color palate round off this slow burning but haunting work.

3. Scotch's rating of the film Mother of George

Probably some of the most striking cinematography I've seen in a long time, but the rich aesthetic doesn't always work: it often drowns the most emotional scenes in reflections and stylish nonsense. Sometimes I just wanted to turn on some damn lights and slap the DP! Most of the characters deserved more complexity, but I generally felt like there wasn't enough content for a 100-minute film.

4. Stefano Pesenti C.'s rating of the film Mother of George

Long.......... too slow........ zzzz........ (oooops... fell asleep)....... ..... P.S.: I am going to try some of those delightful scenes stills as desktop background wallpapers ;)

5. Scienceofphantoms's rating of the film Mother of George

Sure, there's some bravado in the style, the kind that would annoy me (lots of shots with a character to the far right or left of the frame! ) in many other circumstances. But here the photography, editing, costumes, and performances are all working together in such intricate ways that I found myself clapping during some sequences. It's also a brutal melodrama that thinks through tradition in sincere, complex ways.

6. Drew Barnett's rating of the film Mother of George

Riveting and engaging visuals, but sometimes the cinematography overpowers the story.

7. Thomas Clancy's rating of the film Mother of George

Bradford Young is a cinematographer worthy of recognition, acclaim, and thoughtful analysis. I heard his aesthetic be referred to as an "aesthetic of dignity" and I believe that to be a completely accurate term.

8. Chichago_'s rating of the film Mother of George

Beautiful cinematography. Love the vibrant colours in this film.

9. El Biffo's rating of the film Mother of George

Beautiful. Made in the US (Brooklyn), but in African dialect (some English), with subtitles, and made by an African director, with an African cast. Excellent photography and acting, as well as fabulous costumes, editing and production. Definitely recommended if you love African cinema.

10. eveningflares's rating of the film Mother of George

The cinematography was amazing. As was Danai Gurira.

11. Carlos Filipe Freitas's rating of the film Mother of George

Despite small inconsistencies in pace, the film grows exponentially, becoming highly recommended. Full Review: http://alwayswatchgoodmovies.blogspot.com/2014/02/mother-of-george-2013.html

12. ANDU's rating of the film Mother of George

Never seen something that mild and strong at the same time before. The way the movie overwhelms you with the characters and the plot and leaves everything else outside (even the city) was spectacular.

13. FailedImitator's rating of the film Mother of George

Overall, it's decent, and the long lens fetish gets tiring after a while, but there are some shots in here that are just pure magic.

14. MATTEO BITTANTI's rating of the film Mother of George

Fill the Void, Nigerian-style.

15. linuskendall's rating of the film Mother of George

Set in a Nigerian setting with Brooklyn as a vague backdrop, a story about a lady willing to do just about anything to ensure that her mother-in-law and husband lets her marriage stay intact.