1. Thomas's rating of the film Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

Uplifting tale of humanity and optimism set within the harsh corporate world of journalism. Nothing new, particularly, for Capra but another successful restoration of faith with a message.

2. Ayesha Casely-Hayford's rating of the film Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

Top classic comedy. We belong where we belong.

3. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

For a film more than 80 years old, it still manages to make you laugh out loud, sob and relate to the issues faced by everyman Deeds. Capra was pointing out the corruption and inhumanity of the modern, urban world... And not much has changed since. As said by Cassavetes, 'Maybe there wasn't really an America, there was only Capra'.

4. Superfrog's rating of the film Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

Variation on the conceptual themes found in its a wonderful life. The decent many unite against the scheming few.

5. James's rating of the film Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

Brilliantly sentimental loved it,helped me decide what to with my spare millions, thanks Mr Capra!

6. Thomas Dods's rating of the film Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

The blunt moralising is outdated (though given the age of the film, historically interesting) but it is the powerhouse performance of Gary Cooper that makes this film hold up so well. Sensitive, honest and astoundingly humane.

7. P Teddy Sawyer's rating of the film Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

Living, breathing, humanity ; and so, so intriguing that this was not on the repeat replay list of BBC Television films of the sixties.

8. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

Another Capra classic, this time it's the tale of small-town good egg, Mr Deeds (played by Gary Cooper), who inherits a $20M fortune and soon finds himself surrounded by connivers and vultures. Jean Arthur is a reporter who gets close to him, and Lionel Stander stands out as a cynical tough guy who warms to our hero. The rousing finale is warming and delightful.

9. Shawnmubi's rating of the film Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

I really don't know what to say. Beauiful story, brilliant acting with such subtleness in expression and an accurate depiction of city life that still runs true today. I think the following sums it up for me: "He's got goodness, Mabel. Do you know what that is?... No, of course you don't. We've forgotten. We're too busy being smart alecks. Too busy in a crazy competition for nothing." That's city life.

10. coxy's rating of the film Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

If I had to thank Adam Sandler for anything, it would have to be making a shockingly bad remake of this movie. Otherwise, I would never have found out about "the original". There's nothing here in the way of cinema to blow you away, but it's a fun story and one of those movies that will leave you with a warm and fuzzy feel-good feeling.

11. Alex's rating of the film Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

"The simplicity of it is still the magic key, a brilliant example over the ages"

12. McOpinionated's rating of the film Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

The provincial ingénue wins out over the nasty urban sophisticates and vampires.

13. Oli's rating of the film Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

14. Dale Bentham's rating of the film Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

15. FISCHER's rating of the film Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

Merveilleuse fable humaniste à ranger au rayon des chefs-d'oeuvre de la comédie américaine... www.cinefiches.com

16. AugusteB's rating of the film Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

Interesting mix between naive and political (but that seems to be Capra's thing). Highlight: a woman playing drums on a litter basket.

17. Tudor Rachieru's rating of the film Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

The classic Capra story but directed differently. I would love to see more Capra movies like this one.

18. Aardsy's rating of the film Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

God forbid you give a horse a donut.

19. smndvdcl's rating of the film Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

The definition of Capraesque - to instigate hope amongst the modern mire. The antidote to pessimism.

20. SpacePirate's rating of the film Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

Capra could do no wrong in the 30s it seems. This is easily one of the top 20 best comedies ever

21. José Neves's rating of the film Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

Cinematography by Joseph Walker. "Desire" list: Gary Cooper, again and again (but Jean Arthur is so great!). " (...) There is no endowment in man or woman that is not tallied /in you,/There is no virtue, no beauty in man or woman, but as good /is in you,/No pluck, no endurance in others, but as good is in you,/No pleasure waiting for others, but an equal pleasure waits /for you. (...)." (Walt Whitman)

22. Jason Winstanley's rating of the film Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

A fascinating portrait of eccentricity and indivdualism against a backdrop of prejudice and ignorance. If nothing else the film is worth it for the court room scene and the bits where Mr Deeds is merrily playing his tuba.

23. Edward Copeland's rating of the film Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

It's a lesser Capra with a lot of oversentimentality and corniness he's accused of, but it also gave us Jean Arthur's breakthrough role and many great comic moments. http://eddieonfilm.blogspot.com/2010/04/its-easy-to-make-fun-of-somebody-if-you.html

24. Tigrão's rating of the film Mr. Deeds Goes to Town