1. msmichel's rating of the film Mudbound

The Toronto festival programmer noted that the film reveals the crack in the foundation of America. A crack? How about a bottomless pit of racism and hatred that time has done nothing to fill and current political climes nurture. The film itself is a somewhat by the numbers adaptation of the novel featuring some interesting character performances but nary enough depth in scripting to overcome its weaknesses.

2. Valentin Alexandru's rating of the film Mudbound

3. bryanvmh's rating of the film Mudbound

Terrence Malick by way of Faulkner

4. nadnab's rating of the film Mudbound

5. Vince Wynne's rating of the film Mudbound

Powerful, but deeply flawed and melodramatic. This could've been great.

6. abunchoffilms's rating of the film Mudbound

Messy yet mesmerizing. Poignant and disquieting, and everything I want to see when pursuing a socially conscious melodrama. There's something to be said about Rachel Morrison's striking cinematography. The performances speak for themselves, and wouldn't upset me to see this film when best ensemble at SAG.

7. LifeofFiction's rating of the film Mudbound

It's like John Steinbeck and Langston Hughes made a movie together. If 2017 has taught us anything, it's that we need to kill our past.

8. janice.hughes's rating of the film Mudbound

Two war heroes back home after WW2 faced with the hardships of farming the mud bound tracts of the Mississippi Delta. They are confronted with the racism of the Klan and the bigotry of the Southern whites. Great performance from Carey Mulligan

9. wi.bi's rating of the film Mudbound

i never read the book but i think the screenplay is very good. i feel like watching the book. every character every moment is very good.

10. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Mudbound

As Norma Desmond said, "I *am* big! It's the pictures that got small." Mudbound is a Big Picture shrunk down for Netflix, but even setting that aside, it wastes what it does well—a multitude of perspectives—by sinking into melodrama that feels like our era's version of an earlier era's version of an earlier era. Not without some impact, but 40% of it could have sprung from collective unconscious of Oscar season.

11. Henrique Amud's rating of the film Mudbound

I wanted to like it and I ended up liking it more than I thought I could. It is beautiful and pretty fucking ugly. It talks about a lot of what is wrong today without a hint of hamfisted politics or emotional manipulation. I can't single out anyone in this powerful cast, but all the kudos in the world for Dee Rees, Mako Kamitsuna and Rachel Morrison.

12. Scienceofphantoms's rating of the film Mudbound

It's that thing when you flaunt your arthouse muscles at the beginning (Malick or Faulkneresque v.o.'s surprised, delighted, me) and go full Hollywood at the 90 minute mark because your producer needed an ending that people could talk about. Editing sometimes betrays the talent of actors. Photography mostly too glossy and distant for my taste. For some reason I wanted more Claire Denis-y frames for this trauma.

13. Francisco's rating of the film Mudbound

14. Jason's rating of the film Mudbound

Though "important" movies engineered to win awards and pamper self-congratulatory, middlebrow liberal audiences are probably the kind of movie I am most congenitally predisposed to balk at, I am often interested to see what they will do (almost entirely from a sociological standpoint). MUDBOUND is actually fascinating despite leading us inexorably into overblown apotheosis. Some imagination, very strong cast.

15. egles's rating of the film Mudbound

a brilliantly directed, heartbreaking masterpiece. there's no limit to human cruelty and suffering. and the only way to survive is to never give up your feelings and sensibilities - of yourself and others.

16. Malik Dowdy's rating of the film Mudbound

17. Alex Lewis's rating of the film Mudbound

When will a netflix production be anything more than a 'netflix production'?

18. Trunfos's rating of the film Mudbound

19. Tiago Gonçalves's rating of the film Mudbound

Rees offers an impartial view on intemporal issues like racial inequality, misogyny and family values, but there's something here that screams TV film to me...

20. Jacques de Villiers's rating of the film Mudbound

A cinematic fugue of voices, weaving the dissonant song of race that built America, of black people "whose blood", to quote Achille Mbembe, "stains the entire surface of modernity". My only real complaint is that the movie could have been longer. Never less than compelling, the second half becomes more squarely about the two men back from the war, while other characters don't benefit from the same development.

21. gumballs's rating of the film Mudbound

Rees improves greatly upon her source material through her interest in and understanding of perspective. Admittedly the film drags at its start (largely due to its weighty reliance of narrative voice-over). Yet, Mudbound remains to deliver an emotionally rich and wonderfully visualized epic of the American South.

22. Carlos Filipe Freitas's rating of the film Mudbound

This is another triumph by Dee Rees, an important, intelligent voice in the contemporary cinema, who knows exactly which message she wants to convey and what she needs from her cast and crew to make a film look and feel authentic.

23. Marta's rating of the film Mudbound

24. Charles Coleman's rating of the film Mudbound

3 1/2. Paper thin cliched story but rich visuals, lovely costumes, nice editing and solid acting by the leads put the film on above average status. Ending feels too Hollywood and it's a bit too long but overall, it's a fine film.