1. Richmond Hill's rating of the film Murder by Decree

An unexpectedly full blooded exercise in Grand Guignol which may seem like an obvious marriage - Sherlock Holmes versus The Ripper, a B-movie title if ever there were one. However the former is ill-served by this invention which doesn't quite suit the crisp methodical detection procedures of Conan Doyle when smothered in too much Kensington Gore and obligatory dry ice. An eccentric oddity.

2. Daniél Lindström's rating of the film Murder by Decree

3. Ren P's rating of the film Murder by Decree

A great Holmes idea with possibly the worst characterization of Holmes. He's not as smart, not as intent or clever, a terrible fighter (where is all his great martial arts talents?), and gets knocked out by the slightest attack. This of course is not a slight at Christopher Plummer who acted exceptionally. I simply don't like the portrayal itself. I think I might like 'From Hell' better, even a lot better.

4. Amadeus Magnus's rating of the film Murder by Decree

boring. we have "From Hell" now.

5. Marcus Killerby's rating of the film Murder by Decree

A great little gothic thriller and a very good Sherlock Holmes interpretation. Christopher Plummer gets it spot on whilst James Mason makes for an interesting Watson, even if he's not how I'd expect. The highlight, though, is Donald Sutherland as a psychic whose abilities, surprisingly, never come into question by Holmes. 4/5