1. the_mentaculus's rating of the film Murder, My Sweet

Dialogue as black as lightning, shot through smoke and mirrors. Powell's Marlowe belies a certain naivete that adds an intrigue of despair to the story - a Los Angeles (and America) that lost its innocence long ago. This is preternatural noir - a mass hallucination turned into cultural memory.

2. Balthaz21's rating of the film Murder, My Sweet

3. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Murder, My Sweet

4. wiwitaek's rating of the film Murder, My Sweet

Dropped my jaw from start to end.

5. Maudealan's rating of the film Murder, My Sweet

Again Claire Trevor is very femme fatale played straight in this but it's also really good!!!

6. Ethan's rating of the film Murder, My Sweet

This is one of the most underrated Marlowe incarnations, overshadowed by Humphrey Bogart and Elliot Gould's representations.

7. SpacePirate's rating of the film Murder, My Sweet

A classic. Some shots stick with you for years after viewing. Nice change of pace for Dick Powell as well.

8. Xose Manoel Ramos's rating of the film Murder, My Sweet

Oh, oh, oh.... clásico (ainda que prefiro a Big Sleep)

9. El Biffo's rating of the film Murder, My Sweet

4 & a half stars. Based on the novel by Raymond Chandler, and the first of several films featuring his iconic Philip Marlowe character, here played by Dick Powell (later played by Bogart, Elliot Gould and Robert Mitchum). Worth noting is character actor Mike Mazurki, one of Hollywood's great thugs, a role he played over 150 times. Shrewdly directed by HUAC snitch Dmytryk, it does justice to the great Chandler's work.

10. Illusion Travels By Streetcar's rating of the film Murder, My Sweet

"Noir doesn't exist without that visual elaboration." http://illusionpodcast.blogspot.com/2015/04/episode-55-films-noir-of-edward-dmytryk.html

11. bulgrin's rating of the film Murder, My Sweet

Great dialogues and slick humour make this a highly entertaining film. Besides a great noir too.

12. Log Lady's rating of the film Murder, My Sweet

Chandler's novels are the kind you don't read because of a plot that makes sense, but because of the atmosphere, the characters, and general pulpiness. Powell is thankfully better as Marlowe than as a family man in Pitfall, and there are some truly gorgeous visual moments. Overall the film captures private eyes as they should be, and it feels more like a dream than a straightforward film noir.

13. zsa zsa's rating of the film Murder, My Sweet

14. Pedro's rating of the film Murder, My Sweet

Amazing book, awesome film adaptation. This is first-class film noir, and Dick Powell's sarcastic Marlowe make it worth it from start to finish. It's as good as it gets: hard-boiled and witty.

15. Risya's rating of the film Murder, My Sweet

It has fine Film-Noir touches especially the atmospheric visuals highlight however it wasn't particularly gripping and the plot were hard to follow that ultimately end-up anticlimactic.

16. polkasan's rating of the film Murder, My Sweet

Great film noir, slightly baroque, with some sharp, witty dialogue and fantastic characters.

17. Ingrid Bergman's rating of the film Murder, My Sweet

Fabulous noir. Dick Powell is great as Marlowe and Claire Trevor is cute as lace pants. Loved the narrative too!

18. Lights in the Dusk's rating of the film Murder, My Sweet

Along with Kiss Me Deadly, one of the strangest of all detective movies. A film full of bizarre interactions, stilted dialogues, hallucinations, punning one-liners and some of the most abstract and theatrical compositions ever featured in a 'classical' Hollywood noir. I couldn't take my eyes off it! The detective film as subjective nightmare; more a precursor to Blue Velvet than a descendant of The Maltese Falcon.

19. Molly Epstein's rating of the film Murder, My Sweet

a classic film noir prototype with classic plays on narrative techniques from old hollywood. spectacular in it's chaos, it's worth seeing. if not for any other reason, to see Claire Trevor as the heart-wrenchingly sexy femme fatale.

20. Howard Orr's rating of the film Murder, My Sweet

One of that lost breed of films where every shot and line of dialogue is crafted with a care for economy and simplicity. And Mazurki's iniitial appearance in the reflection of that window is bloody terrifying.

21. Lefteris Becerra's rating of the film Murder, My Sweet

soluciones visuales igual de elaboradas y complejas que la trama, gran trabajo de fotografĂ­a

22. Dave's rating of the film Murder, My Sweet

This screen cap says it all...looks spectacular. And Dick Powell is wonderful as Philip Marlowe. With Powell, Marlowe is even wittier, even more cynical in his observations than when played by Bogart.. Powell sells it all perfectly, delivering the sharp one-liners with a deadpan expression that is both laugh-out-loud funny and knowingly tough.

23. Matt's rating of the film Murder, My Sweet

This movie has some of the best dialogue in the hisory of motion pictures!

24. Risselada's rating of the film Murder, My Sweet

"'Okay Marlowe,' I said to myself. 'You're a tough guy. You've been sapped twice, choked, beaten silly with a gun, shot in the arm until you're crazy as a couple of waltzing mice. Now let's see you do something really tough - like putting your pants on.'"