1. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film My Beautiful Laundrette

While the interracial homosexual love story was a first in British mainstream film I found it tame and the chemistry was lacking ( even if a young Day-Lewis was the love interest) I liked much better the relationship with the Pakistani family and the uncle (the cool Saeed Jaffrey) his sexy rebellous daughter and the alcholic father. I would rather have seen more of them - and the film lacks a satisfying ending.

2. Frode Kinserdal's rating of the film My Beautiful Laundrette

A movie with a very interesting story, progressive for its time.

3. Tone Ottilie Frederiksen's rating of the film My Beautiful Laundrette

So much totally unfocused meaningless soap opera plot, the main actor just can't act, and there is at one point literally a boom in the frame. This is the kind of film that is only remembered because LGBT audiences have had to be content with what they could get. I really think we deserve better.

4. LibertyCapz's rating of the film My Beautiful Laundrette

I guess from a strictly cinematic-historical standpoint this film is quite bold in its subject matter and stuff, but honestly I wasn't really all that impressed. The performances were mostly pretty cringe-worthy, the dialogue was laughably bad and from a technical standpoint the whole film was just straight up messy. Fun to see a young Daniel Day-Lewis though! All-in-all I can't really recommend this one.

5. tinderness's rating of the film My Beautiful Laundrette

Schön, mit welcher Leichtigkeit und gleichzeitig leisem Optimismus die großen Widersprüche in der Thatcher - Zeit behandelt werden. Vielleicht ist es das, was uns heute fehlt, wo die Probleme nur größer geworden sind und unlösbar erscheinen. Dabei zeigt gerade dieser Film, dass alle vordergründigen Lösungen eben immer auch ihre Irritationen erzeugen.

6. miles's rating of the film My Beautiful Laundrette

some great asian actors and performances in this one!

7. Myles's rating of the film My Beautiful Laundrette

What a strange, wonderful movie. I could do without much of the surreal gestures and the stupid sound effects and (surprisingly) the inscrutable Daniel Day Lewis character. Gordon Warnecke-- who never did anything again?-- plays a perfect younger-brother character. Spunky, perverted, beaten on by everyone-- the complexity of this character rarely materializes at the movies, let alone in ones this out there.

8. Tadzio Bonaparte's rating of the film My Beautiful Laundrette

9. FISCHER's rating of the film My Beautiful Laundrette

Un film superbe et brillant, d'une tranquille noirceur existentielle nimbée d'une constante fraîcheur désabusée. Mélange (d)étonnant d'un cinéma d'une étrange vitalité et d'une amère lucidité, une des caractéristiques de la "firme" Frears... www.cinefiches.com

10. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film My Beautiful Laundrette

11. Alex Dainin Senauke's rating of the film My Beautiful Laundrette

12. esinis's rating of the film My Beautiful Laundrette

If you are ok with watching still shots of people talking about seemingly irrelevant topics with each other in a great observation of the cultural scene of back then, this is your movie. I mean, it sometimes looks and sounds absurd (and low budget) but indeed it is beautiful.

13. Kk Soft Boss's rating of the film My Beautiful Laundrette

14. Makinist Klitorist's rating of the film My Beautiful Laundrette

Briton, Birleşik Krallık sınırları içinde yaşayan, ama Anglo-Saxon olmayan insanların içinde yer aldığı bir küme. Kendisini İngiliz gibi hisseden ama hiçbir aman İngilizler tarafından bir İngiliz gibi görülmeyen insanların hikayesini anlatmış film. Son derece samimi ve güzel. 80'lerin havasını da soluyorsunuz bol bol. Tavsiye ederim.

15. Dogukan4Ever's rating of the film My Beautiful Laundrette

16. smndvdcl's rating of the film My Beautiful Laundrette

One of the most progressive films of the 80s, highlighting unfair British prejudice towards immigration and homosexuality. The dangers of free market capitalism in a world of inequalities and subjectivities is highlighted with quite a damning critique on Thatcherite politics. With hindsight, this is Frears' most potent film that stands the test of time despite the anachronisms of its cinematography and soundtrack.

17. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film My Beautiful Laundrette

I liked just how Anti-Thatcher this film is!

18. Other Domain's rating of the film My Beautiful Laundrette

19. Abby Sun's rating of the film My Beautiful Laundrette

Soundtrack seems so dated and... bubbly, but there's a surprising amount of meat in scenes and the plot devices that drive the narration forward.

20. angelicidea's rating of the film My Beautiful Laundrette

Just a tiny bit random...

21. Halan's rating of the film My Beautiful Laundrette

I love it for so many reasons!

22. Log Lady's rating of the film My Beautiful Laundrette

Good for a low budget film, but the jumbled way the themes are handled makes the whole thing unfocused. I did like the backdrop of Thatcher's England, since it shows a different kind of reality that Hollywood offered at the same time, but I'm sure there are better works of that era than this (and without the awful bubbling noise!). The acting is a bit stiff, but Day-Lewis has a glimpse of his subsequent greatness.

23. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film My Beautiful Laundrette

7/10 my review: http://lasttimeisawdotcom.wordpress.com/2014/03/15/mybeautifullaundrettes1985/

24. Percy's rating of the film My Beautiful Laundrette

Films about immigration are rarely so nuanced.