1. Jota-D's rating of the film My Childhood

On saute dans le charbon, une grand-mère casse un canari, un prisonnier apprend un anglais d'enfant ...

2. Gonzalez's rating of the film My Childhood

Je ne comprends pas pourquoi il est question du cinéma comme seul échappatoire au petit enfant dans la description de ce premier volet de la trilogie alors qu'il n'est pas du tout question de cinéma ici.

3. Ludovic72's rating of the film My Childhood

Une ville minière écossaise à la fin de la Seconde guerre mondiale : voilà qui n'a déjà rien de joyeux. La situation décrite l'est encore moins : une enfance vraiment misérable, où les moments de légèreté sont courts et précieux. Apreté et tristesse règnent, soulignés par le noir et blanc contrasté (charbon, fumée, ciel, boue), les dialogues brefs, la mise en scène abrupte. Mention spéciale aux deux jeunes acteurs.

4. FISCHER's rating of the film My Childhood

Nous sommes en 1945, dans un petit village de mineurs, en Ecosse. Jamie, 8 ans, vit dans la plus grande pauvreté, avec sa grand-mère et son frère Tommy. Sa mère est internée dans un hôpital psychiatrique et il aimerait tant connaître son père. Son seul lien d'amitié se résume à Helmut, un prisonnier allemand qui travaille dans les champs. >>> Une petite merveille de finesse ! www.cinefiches.com

5. Graceful Photon's rating of the film My Childhood

Unrelentingly bleak, a young man's life is glimpsed in partially connected vignettes that slowly coalesce into a full portrait of one era of his life.

6. ASHES IN THE HOURGLASS's rating of the film My Childhood

Continues cinema's unwritten rule: all films about childhood should have a train scene (Pather Panchali, Spirit of the beehive, Tale of Tales, Alice in the Cities).

7. Jakub Kubica's rating of the film My Childhood

8. Larry Barnard's rating of the film My Childhood

Joined Mubi a couple months ago and this was the first thing that completely blew me away. Never heard of Bill Douglas before, but he was a master. I now understand that he was very influential to other filmmakers and after watching 'My Childhood' I wondered whether the ominous plane in 'Come & See' was an homage. Two scenes I loved involved steam from a train passing under a bridge. Dreary yes, but spellbinding.

9. kartina obskura's rating of the film My Childhood

"...Sav moj detinjski svet srušio se i, razbijen u komade, ležao kod mojih nogu. Stajao sam nad njim nemoćan, ne razumevajući ništa i znajući samo jedno: da patim. Stajao sam i nisam znao gde da se denem pod ovim nebom..." (Ivo Andric, Deca)

10. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film My Childhood

11. EdieEmm's rating of the film My Childhood

A faultless collection of stills, and a (potentially) rich story, yet somehow the whole thing came across as soulless and contrived. The starkness and terseness seemed formulaic and hollow. An over-reliance on aesthetics at the expense of any real depth. 2.5

12. between7skies's rating of the film My Childhood

Harrowing in its realism of the ravages of war, on those who are handed such unbearable. It is one of the rare films that made me grasp the effect of devastating poverty on the most vulnerable, children and elderly. The piercing power of the work, in that the director didn't wallow in the melodramatic to create such unforgettable film. The film recalls Bresson's "Mouchette", and Tarkovsky's "Ivan's Childhood".

13. Brotherdeacon's rating of the film My Childhood

Self-pity of imagistic memory grows into anger then further into a desolate purity; yet Bill Douglas' stylistic decisions never seem to become muddied by personal or traumatic sensationalism--always attuned to a symbolic dreamscape of spirit-numbing poverty, where most are famished and everyone's grasp for hope is thwarted as if by natural law. It's first episode in a unique trilogy of remembrance and purgation.

14. msmichel's rating of the film My Childhood

Depressing and bleak first entry in the trilogy that casts a feeling of hopelessness in its tale of a 8 year old boy barely living on the breadline with his granny and brother. The boys' mother is in the asylum, their individual fathers not present and their future bleak. Well made but a hard watch.

15. Ally the Manic Listmaker's rating of the film My Childhood

Of course, this was a little on the short side. While being interesting, I couldn't help but want the movie to explain the characters more and delve a little deeper. However, Bill Douglas seems talented and I'd like to explore his other films.

16. Corriel's rating of the film My Childhood

First in the trilogy, this film has an amateurish picture quality (which does not matter much to me) and sets the story and the style which will carry on in the next two films. I can't say I love it but I liked its strange and desperate atmosphere.

17. joey Noodles's rating of the film My Childhood

Bergman + Lynch = Douglas This is bleak and miserable but very good. 4/5

18. Jeremy Ashlyn's rating of the film My Childhood

no, i am not a fan of ingmar bergman. but if he made films like this i would be.

19. Zachary George Najarian-Najafi's rating of the film My Childhood

This film is unbearably bleak at times, yet so achingly beautiful. There is much plot, but rather impressionistic snippets of a childhood scarred by war, poverty, and death. You can feel the coal and soot, so atmospheric Douglas' direction is. I can't undervalue the strength of his images enough. Also Douglas' minimalism doesn't feel forced, but rather natural which is why this film works so well. Stark but amazing.

20. Angelo Dagonel's rating of the film My Childhood

Didn't dig this one, but I LOOOOOOOOOVED My Ain Folk.