1. Andrew Miller's rating of the film My Country, My Country

Bitter images here: "It's not all bad, you can have some fun."

2. Jefferson's rating of the film My Country, My Country

This is heavy. Sobering. Laura Poitras shows us dignity despite injustice.

3. caitlin.f's rating of the film My Country, My Country

this should be required viewing for americans in the 21st century to get a small glimpse of the effects of our country's invasion of iraq & how deluded the westerners were that their patronizing interference would solve all of iraq's problems.

4. 5000yearoldbogmummy//Rhett's rating of the film My Country, My Country

This film returned me to my late pre-pubescence— then (as now) the Iraq War haunted me. Illusion, deceit, cruelty, money: all these are things I came to learn through witnessing this tremendous violence enacted by my country. Interesting as a historical document and an artful examination of one man's desire to do something in an essentially hopeless situation. Also thought the intertwining B-plot was shrewd.

5. David R Williams's rating of the film My Country, My Country

Two years into the Bush regime's Iraq clusterfuck we see society falling apart, violence around every corner, clueless westerners believing that the upcoming democratic election will make everything all better, smirking & obviously bored military liaisons, paranoid US soldiers ready to kill anything that moves, and ordinary (for the most part) Iraqis trying to make some sense out of it all. Thanks Shrub!

6. Peter Lewis's rating of the film My Country, My Country

This is a documentary filmed at the very roots of Iraq society. Its fly on the wall approach lets the viewer feel the hopes and fears of the people living through the occupation and the struggle for power that followed. That the whole thing was captured by Laura Poitras working by herself - no sound recordist or assistants is a truly amazing feat

7. Victor Gonzalez's rating of the film My Country, My Country

Laura Poitras great insight into the first Iraqi elections after overthrowing Saddam Hussein.

8. Zac Weber's rating of the film My Country, My Country

My Country, My Country delicately portrays the complexities of Iraqi society during the American occupation. As a singular moment, the U.S. invasion and expectations seem incomprehensible; but seen through the far-sighted scope of the centuries-old imperialistic history of the United States, the problems that persist in Iraq after the invasion seem obvious and much more tragic.

9. Ariel_'s rating of the film My Country, My Country

Very instructive in its depiction of the complex reality of ethnic and political conflict in Iraq. Depicts American occupation itself as clear factor with Iraq’s political fragmentation. Throughout the film, Dr. Ryadh’s life is punctuated by rocket blasts. Communities are beset with terrorist attacks and factionalist violence, making it difficult for peaceful candidates like Dr. Riyadh to work an effective campaign.

10. Dan's rating of the film My Country, My Country

A great documentary into the first election after Saddam was overthrown. It covers the turmoil in Iraq surrounding the election, how differing groups in Iraq felt towards the election, and gives great insight into how the United State's politics affected the decision for elections, and how the Iraqi people lived in an occupied country with so many differing factions each vying for power.