1. Nachtreich's rating of the film My Friend Ivan Lapshin

2. Stephane Tanaka's rating of the film My Friend Ivan Lapshin

I really can't stand and can't get German's style. My cartesian brain blocks. 3rd film i watch, 3rd time i don't have any clue what's going on, who is who, why they say this and that and act like that. I kinda like surrealism so it must be shtg else. I really don't get it.

3. El Biffo's rating of the film My Friend Ivan Lapshin

4. SAMMAX's rating of the film My Friend Ivan Lapshin

One of the best opening indeed.

5. ihor's rating of the film My Friend Ivan Lapshin

An unconventional and perspective of Stalinist era USSR lacking any overt statist fear. Hints of a socialist society are apparent in the rich environment German creates. The cinematography adds to this, and at times has a compelling intimacy. Yet the plot is continually meanders, but never reaches a point. No comment is made on the Stalinist era or Soviet society in general. Both are just flatly presented.

6. Algitya's rating of the film My Friend Ivan Lapshin

7. nichiyoh's rating of the film My Friend Ivan Lapshin

so magical cameraworks and knife edge cutting, sadness, such as biting.

8. deni.a's rating of the film My Friend Ivan Lapshin

please tell me,where i can find this film? i've been searching all over the piratebay thanks

9. Sunrise's rating of the film My Friend Ivan Lapshin

German's inescapable inclusionary style, rather than conventional narrative exclusions of marginalia, allows the secondary their prominence. While overwhelming to decypher the abundant and elusively receding points of "life," only clear-headed Ivan comprehends societal structures. By this ability, German positions Ivan even above audience comprehension, instilling an incredible belief in him by film's end. Masterful!

10. kartina obskura's rating of the film My Friend Ivan Lapshin

this was certainly the best aleksei german visual experience so far, but why i didn't care for the story (except the wonderful beginning), where i lost it, i really wonder

11. Jake Cole's rating of the film My Friend Ivan Lapshin

Camera and sound go every which way but the usual ones, with any dialogue that could potentially focus the film into a narrative overridden by surrounding din and key characters frequently obscured, if not ignored altogether as German's camera eye wanders to trivial matters. That giving spirit lends a tone of realism belied by the dry visual wit that frequently spins the film into ironic, but human, realms

12. Spiritchaser's rating of the film My Friend Ivan Lapshin

This is how you make The White Ribbon, Mr. Haneke. Brooding atmosphere, palpable characters, not just a series of unexplained circumstances. A veritable masterpiece of the 80s.

13. Andrei Herea's rating of the film My Friend Ivan Lapshin

Refreshing from start to finish.

14. Aaron G.'s rating of the film My Friend Ivan Lapshin

Can't stop thinking about it. The sequence where the Soloviev gang is rounded up was absolutely amazing, as was the whole film.

15. Movieyana's rating of the film My Friend Ivan Lapshin

Exquisite film-making. Seamless. Perfectly cast. Directed by a master.

16. Peter Rinaldi's rating of the film My Friend Ivan Lapshin

This film is, in my humble opinion, the single most successful motion picture I have ever seen. I see it every time it comes to town and it is like visiting an old friend again and again. I first saw it in 1995, days before shooting my thesis film, and you can see its influences on me even then. To me, this is perfection in filmmaking. It is everything I need in a film. And it makes me happy just knowing it exists.