1. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film My Own Private Idaho

2-3. I'm just gonna bury the lede here and say that the film's overall language (symbolic use of location, portraiture, animals, etc.) and River Pheonix's performance are the movie's huge saving graces. I pretty much could've done without Bob, his pack of street rats, and the Elizabethan language. On top of that, Keanu Reeves only seems to emote during the (offscreen) sex scenes. It could've been better.

2. Adam GR's rating of the film My Own Private Idaho

My poor gay heart. Sweet, lonely River. Iconic Portland. Grace Zabriskie and Udo Kier guest star.

3. Nick Schwab's rating of the film My Own Private Idaho

My Own Private Idaho has meandering energy, a convoluted plot, sputtering characterizing, and ghostly-skeletal drama. It doesn't emote feelings, nor is it immersive, it's also quite self-conscious and stilted. Ultimately, My Own Private Idaho is strung together with long-talky scenes and unmotivated turning points, that all, lack emotional conviction. Most overrated film of both Phoenix and Van Sant?

4. rksw's rating of the film My Own Private Idaho

5. oanagavriloiu's rating of the film My Own Private Idaho

river phoenix broke my heart

6. Matthew Catanzano's rating of the film My Own Private Idaho

It is amazing how the film maker can take such a foreign conflict and make it absolutely relatable to everyone watching. Amazing cinematography and casting,

7. Amanda Violetto's rating of the film My Own Private Idaho

8. Louis Léonard's rating of the film My Own Private Idaho

9. oooooo's rating of the film My Own Private Idaho

10. paristexas's rating of the film My Own Private Idaho

My Own Private Idaho deserves 5 stars for the awe inspiring fact that Gus Van Sant seamlessly manages to weave poetic cinema and emotionally immersive narrative with characters defined by their over the top hammy shakespearean prose- without distracting from the film (though kenau is at his best when silently reflecting, rather than reciting shakespearean insults)

11. anadyomene's rating of the film My Own Private Idaho

Young Reeves was so cute and precious, I watched 'Young Again' and you should too. 'My Own Private Idaho' is also a nice memory of River Phoenix, it breaks my heart to wish to see them together again.

12. Pily's rating of the film My Own Private Idaho

I watched this film for the first time in 1992 and it was a 'before and after moment. By far the best Van Sant film and River magnificent talent as its best, his performance is superb, 25 years on and I still get goosebumps every time I watch it. Like Keanu said, this is not a movie, its a FILM.

13. Catarina Monteiro's rating of the film My Own Private Idaho

It takes a little while do develop but when it comes, it really comes! I don't know what did I just saw, but this is incredible and River Phoenix is so damn sexy and his performance is absolutely stunning I love him

14. Balthaz21's rating of the film My Own Private Idaho

15. Joao Domingues's rating of the film My Own Private Idaho

16. Igor Ramos's rating of the film My Own Private Idaho

Got to admit that this was kind of a letdown... All the praise and good reviews made me expect something better. The plot is convoluted (places and people came and went in a messy way) the chemistry between Reeves and Phoenix was barely none (probably because Scott was such and shitty character and Mickey was doing all the emotional work) and the overall vibe is that it had potential but Van Sant couldn't deliver it.

17. Thomas Dods's rating of the film My Own Private Idaho

River Pheonix is great but still felt like an average road movie, just didn't get it. Very willing to give it another go considering the general acclaim....

18. 1boredjellyfish's rating of the film My Own Private Idaho

19. cinegeek.de's rating of the film My Own Private Idaho

(...)Mike sucht nach Liebe, doch wenn er ehrlich ist, braucht er jemanden, der ihm Schutz bietet, der ihn hält. Grosse mentale Schäden erlitt er während seiner Kindheit, nun sucht er nach einer Obhut - ganz gleich, ob bei einem Mann oder einer Frau. Einen klassischen Hollywood Plot bekommen wir dabei nicht geboten. Der Film treibt - genauso wie das Leben der Beiden auf keinen festen Punkt zu.

20. Chien Yi's rating of the film My Own Private Idaho

have a nice day I miss you

21. plankton's rating of the film My Own Private Idaho