1. Sin título.'s rating of the film My Winnipeg

2. vordven's rating of the film My Winnipeg

3. Maxicello's rating of the film My Winnipeg

4. Renton47's rating of the film My Winnipeg

Rewatch. No doubt this is a feat of creation, a memory memoir, self-described docu-fantasia (which looks exactly like that sounds, as if dreams could be filmed). Now less caught up in the visual aura I wonder if the forks lead out of the fog, if the mythologising and self-exploration actualise to a meaningful examination of self in the same way it does place. But then again, to listen to Maddin talk all day...

5. Eric Rucker's rating of the film My Winnipeg

I didn’t realize going into this that it was my 2nd time seeing it. The memories from my 1st time were mis-filed as my own half-remembered dreams and hypnogogic scraps. I genuinely thought parts of it were dreams I had had. It was kind of terrifying to rewatch . . . This is the magic of film, this is the medium given life. No CGI, no squibs, no choreographed violence and gasoline-fueled machines, no genre, just art.

6. Monkey Flix's rating of the film My Winnipeg

It's about where we're from, and when we're from. It's about our memories, our past, our regrets. It's about not appreciating what we had, and not being able to control what we lose. It's about creating the fiction of our past and the fiction of who we are.

7. Joe Pryweller's rating of the film My Winnipeg

Travel documentary as dreamscape from another galaxy, a horror film of a hometown narrative filled with sleepwalkers trying to wake up and escape the dark Maddin-minded madness of a city replete with scary ghosts (and orgy-like seances), sexual eccentricities, horses heads in ice, and a psychic mother reading your every thought. Maddin's use of silent-film devices provides the necessary distance from this crazy town.

8. Stefan Drees's rating of the film My Winnipeg

A delirious film full of "ifs", a wild and excessive construction of real and invented memories related to Maddin's home town.

9. John A Smith's rating of the film My Winnipeg

One of the greatest "documentaries" of all time. It's depiction of a geographic location coupled with a melancholic state of mind is spellbinding. Bravo!

10. David R Williams's rating of the film My Winnipeg

It’s Guy Madden, what else you need to know?

11. ejonline's rating of the film My Winnipeg

I can get tired of how obsessive and circumscribed Maddin's vision is. Here, the obsessive quality spills out into new areas and it feels invigorating. Rather than an expressionistic rummaging through film history, this fluid mix of fact and fiction about Winnipeg history works like both a tone poem and documentary. Contemporary shots and archival photos complement the staged pieces well. Insightful and rewatchable.

12. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film My Winnipeg

At some point, when you miss a place enough, the backgrounds in photos become more important than the people in them,” Maddin narrates in his wacky deconstruction of his childhood and past. Hard to imagine this project not feeling cathartic.

13. Mariana Basílio's rating of the film My Winnipeg

14. EdieEmm's rating of the film My Winnipeg

Rewatched tonight @ TIFF, accompanied by Guy Maddin doing a live read of the narration. My memory's honestly terrible, so it struck me how many scenes my brain had actually stored intact as iconograhy: the ballet seance; the horse heads; the Black Tuesdays in a half-demolished rink.. Like Herzog's Antarctica doc, in that way. Not my favourite Maddin but it really did take root in me. Which was his goal, I think. 3.75

15. FISCHER's rating of the film My Winnipeg

> Un imposant et foisonnant kaléidoscope d'histoires vécues, sublimées, narrées, dans une hyperbolique et vertigineuse construction cinématographique, avec ses reconstitutions jouées, ses images et photos d'archives, ses séquences d'animation et sa puissante et touchante poésie élégiaque font de cette œuvre hautement cathartique, un inoubliable moment de cinéma, intelligent, sensible et percutant.. www.cinefiches.com

16. ADZERTY's rating of the film My Winnipeg

Chef d'oeuvre d'humour et de tendre nostalgie. On est happé par ce film, à l'instar des protagonistes bercés par le train, qui luttent en vain pour échapper à l'attraction onirique de la ville.

17. RoRoRoro's rating of the film My Winnipeg

18. Peter Walsh's rating of the film My Winnipeg

A somnabulist's ramblings through his dreams, his home, his memories of film history. Unexpected, charming, and endlessly compelling filmmaking.

19. Ludovic72's rating of the film My Winnipeg

Soumis aux facéties de "Maddin le guedin", le style documentaire ne tarde guère à en perdre son latin... L'expert de l'imagerie pseudo-années 20 et du montage pseudo-einsensteinien a concocté une balade temporelle somnambulique, où la véracité des images d'archives sombre corps et âme dans les aberrations les plus drolatiques. Un hommage absurde et touchant (mais parfois trop saturé) à Winnipeg, Winnipeg, Winnipeg...

20. Adam Whybray's rating of the film My Winnipeg

Uncovers the leylines of the heart! The lap! The forks! Mother! At once an earnest reflection upon one man's mother issues and an aggressive trolling of the Winnipeg Tourist Board. Psychogeography at its most psycho- sexual; neurotic; therapeutic. I can't remember ever having so much fun being lied to.

21. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film My Winnipeg

2017 UNIVERSCINE ----- 2017 MUBI

22. Wee Hunk's rating of the film My Winnipeg

I'd say that this was in the same general category as Tarkovsky's Mirror. Except there are no floating ladies or houses on fire. It's poetry, but with that marvelous Canadian sense of humor and sensibility. I just love the dreamy imagery which works so well with the theme of sleepwalking. I relate to his story, and I feel like I could watch it again.

23. smndvdcl's rating of the film My Winnipeg

A visionary pseudo-documentary creation.

24. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film My Winnipeg