1. DebraM's rating of the film My Winnipeg

Maddin delves into folklore, childhood and fantasy, all through a very personal lens of unreliable narration. A surreal, trippy and perfect way to start my weekend.

2. tubbssw's rating of the film My Winnipeg

The selection of archival film is well done and so is the entertaining/informative narration which at times also has a political bite to it. A film that is not aimed at tourists for a change but is wonderfully depressing.

3. I.Camera's rating of the film My Winnipeg

A bewildering documentary, part autobiography and part biography of the central Canadian city, with elements of magical realism (did the lake really flash freeze those horses?). Funny and moving, it relies on dreams (and the ways that dreams distort a remembered landscape) and an unreliable narrator for its fantastical elements. I also applaud the casting choice of Ann Savage, 60 years after appearance in 'Detour'.

4. Krish sanghvi's rating of the film My Winnipeg

In what does the essence of a place lie? This is such an enjoyable, funny, and well directed film- on the joys and sorrows of leaving home, a place you love, wish to protect, but also detest for what it’s become. On preserving what you love by filming and recreating it and making it timeless and permanent and glorified, when so much of it is destroyed. I love the mild satire and surrealism, and the poeticness!!

5. Rex Freeman's rating of the film My Winnipeg

6. Alex Lewis's rating of the film My Winnipeg

I’ve been craving for a sincere study of nostalgia and memory in film, opposed to the cheap, cash-in nostalgia of recent (ie. The Artist)

7. Sin título.'s rating of the film My Winnipeg

8. vordven's rating of the film My Winnipeg

9. Maxicello's rating of the film My Winnipeg

10. Renton47's rating of the film My Winnipeg

Rewatch. No doubt this is a feat of creation, a memory memoir, self-described docu-fantasia (which looks exactly like that sounds, as if dreams could be filmed). Now less caught up in the visual aura I wonder if the forks lead out of the fog, if the mythologising and self-exploration actualise to a meaningful examination of self in the same way it does place. But then again, to listen to Maddin talk all day...

11. Eric Rucker's rating of the film My Winnipeg

I didn’t realize going into this that it was my 2nd time seeing it. The memories from my 1st time were mis-filed as my own half-remembered dreams and hypnogogic scraps. I genuinely thought parts of it were dreams I had had. It was kind of terrifying to rewatch . . . This is the magic of film, this is the medium given life. No CGI, no squibs, no choreographed violence and gasoline-fueled machines, no genre, just art.

12. Monkey Flix's rating of the film My Winnipeg

It's about where we're from, and when we're from. It's about our memories, our past, our regrets. It's about not appreciating what we had, and not being able to control what we lose. It's about creating the fiction of our past and the fiction of who we are.

13. Joe Pryweller's rating of the film My Winnipeg

Travel documentary as dreamscape from another galaxy, a horror film of a hometown narrative filled with sleepwalkers trying to wake up and escape the dark Maddin-minded madness of a city replete with scary ghosts (and orgy-like seances), sexual eccentricities, horses heads in ice, and a psychic mother reading your every thought. Maddin's use of silent-film devices provides the necessary distance from this crazy town.

14. Stefan Drees's rating of the film My Winnipeg

A delirious film full of "ifs", a wild and excessive construction of real and invented memories related to Maddin's home town.

15. John A Smith's rating of the film My Winnipeg

One of the greatest "documentaries" of all time. It's depiction of a geographic location coupled with a melancholic state of mind is spellbinding. Bravo!

16. David R Williams's rating of the film My Winnipeg

It’s Guy Madden, what else you need to know?

17. ejonline's rating of the film My Winnipeg

I can get tired of how obsessive and circumscribed Maddin's vision is. Here, the obsessive quality spills out into new areas and it feels invigorating. Rather than an expressionistic rummaging through film history, this fluid mix of fact and fiction about Winnipeg history works like both a tone poem and documentary. Contemporary shots and archival photos complement the staged pieces well. Insightful and rewatchable.

18. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film My Winnipeg

At some point, when you miss a place enough, the backgrounds in photos become more important than the people in them,” Maddin narrates in his wacky deconstruction of his childhood and past. Hard to imagine this project not feeling cathartic.

19. Mariana Basílio's rating of the film My Winnipeg

20. EdieEmm's rating of the film My Winnipeg

Rewatched tonight @ TIFF, accompanied by Guy Maddin doing a live read of the narration. My memory's honestly terrible, so it struck me how many scenes my brain had actually stored intact as iconograhy: the ballet seance; the horse heads; the Black Tuesdays in a half-demolished rink.. Like Herzog's Antarctica doc, in that way. Not my favourite Maddin but it really did take root in me. Which was his goal, I think. 3.75

21. FISCHER's rating of the film My Winnipeg

> Un imposant et foisonnant kaléidoscope d'histoires vécues, sublimées, narrées, dans une hyperbolique et vertigineuse construction cinématographique, avec ses reconstitutions jouées, ses images et photos d'archives, ses séquences d'animation et sa puissante et touchante poésie élégiaque font de cette œuvre hautement cathartique, un inoubliable moment de cinéma, intelligent, sensible et percutant.. www.cinefiches.com

22. ADZERTY's rating of the film My Winnipeg

Chef d'oeuvre d'humour et de tendre nostalgie. On est happé par Winnipeg, à l'instar des protagonistes bercés par le train, qui luttent en vain pour échapper à l'attraction onirique de la ville.

23. RoRoRoro's rating of the film My Winnipeg

24. Peter Walsh's rating of the film My Winnipeg

A somnabulist's ramblings through his dreams, his home, his memories of film history. Unexpected, charming, and endlessly compelling filmmaking.

← Previous 1 3 4 5