1. DSPRKY's rating of the film My Winnipeg

Hilarious, and really a film for which Winnipeg is the ideal subject.

2. Marley's rating of the film My Winnipeg

The perfect example of perspective based non-fiction film. Guy Maddin shares his sweeping poetic hippocampus with little regard to what reality exists outside of himself.

3. Diderot's rating of the film My Winnipeg

How does this man get movies made? It's remarkable. Ann Savage, erotic fantasies of sweaty Soviets, dead frozen horses, and much more fill this dream-doc about Madden's little block of home.

4. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film My Winnipeg

A dark, nostalgic, hypnotic, and hilarious journey into the heart of the heart of the country. “Why? Why? Why don’t we just swim?”

5. marco's rating of the film My Winnipeg

the auteurs best of decade poll

6. HSBilly's rating of the film My Winnipeg

what if? what if? what if?

7. James Mackin's rating of the film My Winnipeg

Winnipeg is such a magical place.

8. Ruiz Buñuel's rating of the film My Winnipeg

I could't help get the feeling that the images were trying to compensate for a lack of quality in the words.

9. juliazhuang413@gmail.com's rating of the film My Winnipeg

10 mins into the film I already know that it's something I will return to for consolation if I had a bad day, or for celebration, of what cinema can be.

10. Emily O's rating of the film My Winnipeg

i work...i worry...i wait

11. JD Tastad's rating of the film My Winnipeg

in some valleys there are cottonwoods, and they snow though it is summer.

12. Thomas's rating of the film My Winnipeg

An overly self-absorbed love-letter to Maddin's formative years in his home town. I found it ultimately self-indulgent and excludingly personal, despite having quite a broad, surreal scope and a playful, 'mockumentary' narrative. Still worth a watch for the imaginative ideas and cinematography.

13. Ekaterina Chernyaeva's rating of the film My Winnipeg

It puts you in some sort of a surreal dream. So Freaudian in many ways. Although, it makes you pass out sometimes, I think it is actually works for this film. I am not sure if I am not dreaming of Winnipeg at the moment and not sleep-walking (typing).

14. RenaissancePete's rating of the film My Winnipeg

15. Gastuba's rating of the film My Winnipeg

16. DrFirestone's rating of the film My Winnipeg

Impressive, film noir inspired visuals, sound and music aproprietly matched. Interesting, dreamy, surreal story. I enjoyed the humour. It's originality and probably a weakness (for some) is the fact that while the film is revolving around the history of Winnipeg and the author's childhood memories, the facts and fiction are all blurred together...

17. raggiodisole's rating of the film My Winnipeg

Lured in by the picture, I was. And eventually sated. A love poem to the Winnipeg of history, youth, imagination and myth

18. Alex Hall's rating of the film My Winnipeg

Pretty spectacular. Original, and the narration is sublime.

19. Imelda Says's rating of the film My Winnipeg

I'd like to give this a 4 for the cinematography and a 1 for the writing/narration. Maddin sure as shit can't write - dreadful pseudo-poetic drivel that added so little to the film that I watched a lot of the beautiful footage with the sound off. Some well-edited and judiciously-placed title cards and a good instrumental soundtrack would improve this no end.

20. Andrew Miller's rating of the film My Winnipeg

One of my favorite Maddins (along with Cowards Bend the Knee and Careful).

21. Max Seqgar's rating of the film My Winnipeg

This is so Canadian humor and Plath-style poetry, poetry, poetry... Nice eh?

22. Floro Azqueta's rating of the film My Winnipeg

memories like a visual poetry dream

23. Angus George Alexander Brown's rating of the film My Winnipeg

An intense and yet delicate dissection of two lives; that of our narrator, and that of the city Winnipeg. The bitter passion behind the narration allows you to absorb vast historical detail like no other documentary can. Some unnecessary nudity but mostly poignant and clever. Watch with a hot chocolate to hand.

24. Superfrog's rating of the film My Winnipeg

A crazy experience with an obsessive narrative track finely supported by images, with a deeply immersive first half and a strong second half. A film to watch without distractions.

← Previous 1 3 4