1. George Harvey Bone's rating of the film Napoléon

A masterpiece. To think it took me over 30 years to get to see this; I'm glad I saw the five and a half hour version - and on the big screen too - to get the full effect of that triptych ending. A big thanks to Carl Davis for the superb new score too.

2. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film Napoléon

3. FISCHER's rating of the film Napoléon

Incontournable ! www.cinefiches.com

4. Tutu888's rating of the film Napoléon

There is more to admire than to love in Napoleon. It's easy to see it's importance in film history but the idea that Gance wanted to follow it with another 5 episodes with every detail of Napoleon's life is too much for me.

5. Arf's rating of the film Napoléon

grande lavoro di regia ma porcamadonn*

6. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Napoléon

7. Luis Pires's rating of the film Napoléon

Needs a rewatch with better quality. The horseback pursuit was incredible, though!

8. callum mclaughlin's rating of the film Napoléon

Napoleon: a man fighting against nature, fighting against fate and forever fighting for his country. Throughout this five and a half hour long film, I wanted nothing more than to force my way onto the screen and to fight under his command. A visually stunning film accompanied with a score by Carl Davis that is beyond exhilarating, ‘Napoleon’ just may be the greatest cinematic experience of my life. Extraordinary.

9. Sandy Connell's rating of the film Napoléon

A single image commanded me to see Abel Gance's silent epic. The trailer for the 2016 re-release features an outstanding wide shot of a cloaked rider and his steed galloping across a hilltop, silhouetted against the shimmering, moonlit sea. Seeing this film with a live orchestral score was one of the most memorable cinematic experiences I've ever had. Read my full review at www.filmsofeverycolour.com

10. redux's rating of the film Napoléon

Mesmerising OTT adulatory propaganda, a likely influence on Goebbels.

11. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film Napoléon

12. Hugo Poderoso's rating of the film Napoléon

How can a film about a general and emperor be so anarchic?

13. Chris_Parker's rating of the film Napoléon

It's a fascinating character study of an extraordinarily compelling individual. Napoleon was a man who took control and waged war, not against the Spanish, Russians or Italians, but against an indeterministic, malevolent universe. Like an obsessive film director, Napoleon tamed his surroundings, forcing the cosmos to bow to his own singular vision. Who needs Kubrick if you've already got this film?

14. paxy's rating of the film Napoléon

15. Log Lady's rating of the film Napoléon

Incredibly innovative and dynamic, to the extent that I don't know what to say, because it's hard to make justice for something this epic (the pompous Coppola score got on my nerves, but that's easily fixed). Delicious swinging camera, emotional close-ups, energetic, powerful, explosive. I just wish I'd seen the ending the way it was meant to be seen. To think this was shown in London just two years ago! Fuck!

16. waywardwaters's rating of the film Napoléon

what a gigantic heap of shit ('Orphans of the Storm' this is not). that swinging camera scene at the end of the first act is so embarassingly desperate and tacky it's laughable. the whole picture (culminated by the ending formation of the French flag in triple camera) reeks of ill-advised decision making and self-importance. brings nothing new to the table that 'Intolerance' didn't already try (and fail).

17. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Napoléon

A bold and grand achievement in filmmaking, one of the best historical epics I have ever seen!

18. joey Noodles's rating of the film Napoléon

Just booked to see this at a cinema on 30th November with a live orchestra, very excited!

19. pitdogG's rating of the film Napoléon

Napoleon, is one of the true masterpieces of the silent era. It expands the language of cinema even beyond our comprehension today. The use of three separate screens in the climactic invasion of Italy is a technique that is breathtaking. I saw the film with Carmine Coppola, at the baton, fronting a full symphony orchestra at, Radio City Music Hall, and it still gives me shivers. See it, if you can.

20. Kian Ross's rating of the film Napoléon

If the movie was only the opening scene in the snow, it would still be one the greats.

21. hella dumb and felling bad's rating of the film Napoléon

22. Amadeus Magnus's rating of the film Napoléon

five hours, four stars. I liked La Marseillaise sequence most.

23. Henrique Verkündigung's rating of the film Napoléon

holy jesus, what an awesome piece of art

24. Gylfi's rating of the film Napoléon

I watched the four hour Coppola version. It was incredible. DT's comment about this film sums it up nicely, you do get the feeling that there was a madman behind the camera. A must-see for every movie lover.