1. Diderot's rating of the film News from Home

I love this movie more than I expected. A fascinating rumination on city life, loneliness, family, curiosity, looking, anonymity, and (now) the nature of time and its relation to space (among any other number of thoughts that might run through your head).

2. EdieEmm's rating of the film News from Home

Saw this 3rd on a dvd after La Chambre & Hotel Monterey, and in some ways it’s a cross between them: The autobiographical tempered by/juxtaposed against the impersonal/mechanical, and - as importantly - vice versa. Speech vs soundscape; insight vs image... And a deliciously iconic & culturally definitive depiction of 70s NYC (that subway platform 40 min in!) captured via Akerman's unique outsider inside perspective.

3. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film News from Home

4. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film News from Home

Akerman captivates with simple images of city life juxtaposed with letters from her mother. Sometime the narration is drowned out by the sounds of the city, like losing connection to her mother with her life as an artist, a theme she would explore through her entire career.

5. Robert Orlowski's rating of the film News from Home

6. LAB ARBUTA's rating of the film News from Home

7. AugusteB's rating of the film News from Home

Sometimes this film is just its ingredients: the city New York and the letters from the mother. But at the end when the ship leaves the city it all comes together to a brilliant art movie installation cinema therapy experience.

8. LauraPalmer's rating of the film News from Home

What is FILMMAKING? This is a perfect example.

9. Sander Moyson's rating of the film News from Home

We are always on the move, but where is our home and where is our mother, waiting silently, loving silently?

10. Loud Rocks's rating of the film News from Home

11. Mihai Cristea's rating of the film News from Home

Akerman @ Romania's most beautiful cinema. Where it should belong.

12. marco's rating of the film News from Home

introductory course in experimental film

13. Ale/M's rating of the film News from Home

14. Renton47's rating of the film News from Home

Sometimes I'm an asshole and I don't call my Mum enough and sometimes I screen her calls when I'm watching a movie or having a drink with friends. Then sometimes I get annoyed when I need to go to the country to see them, because I like the anonymity of the city and hate feeling tethered to the identity they attach to me. They worry and care about me, which should be enough for me to make an effort to please them.

15. Andrew Miller's rating of the film News from Home

Achingly poignant now that Akerman has passed-- no more news forthcoming.

16. Gonçalo Araújo's rating of the film News from Home

17. Abstructures's rating of the film News from Home

Immediately after watching, I was bashing pretty hard on this film. But then, something happened. It started slowly growing into me. The next day I couldn't stop thinking about its majesty.

18. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film News from Home

Como sucedía en "Yo, tú, él, ella", Akerman apela a una narrativa epistolar. Es su madre enviando noticias desde casa. La información de familiares enfermos, compromisos que se forman y se rompen, la bonanza o crisis del negocio familiar, una niña que crece. Es también la madre que menciona las vivencias de la directora en NY. Un filme en donde el tiempo transcurre y la lectura de cartas construye una historia.

19. ry h's rating of the film News from Home

Akerman's continued experiments with sight, sound and time provide a tense yet tender frame to her autobiographical narrative of the contradiction that characterizes life in a diaspora - an alienation from, and longing for, both native and adoptive homes. Left me speechless.

20. Cojocariu Claudia's rating of the film News from Home

People passing by, starring at me.

21. xuxuxush's rating of the film News from Home

Brilliant layering of voiceover and documentary footage. Scenes of a gritty and gray 70s New York made ethereal by that aching, faraway voice of a mother barely able to contain her anxiety. Time is physically stretched in that final shot.

22. Karl J. Kipling's rating of the film News from Home

Mildly interesting setup for a 30-40 minute student film - increasingly forlorn letters from Akerman's mother in Belgium read over images of desolate lonely mid-seventies NYC, where the director has moved - flogged out to a soporific 90 minutes. I'm a bright hopeful lad, so I at times watch this sort of thing to the end, expecting a second idea to swerve the monotony onto some new path. But Akerman's a one-idea gal.

23. Brotherdeacon's rating of the film News from Home

Lovely to look at, interesting to ponder and find those links one assumes Chantal Akerman was intending for us to appreciate as expansions of her self-referential slices of NY and her mother. On the other hand her witness formalism is too rigorous for me--a bit like reading a text book on love instead of kissing someone. The simplicity of her film was altogether engaging however.

24. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film News from Home

Chantal Akerman is my new favorite filmmaker!