1. Nick Schwab's rating of the film Nightmare Detective

What could be an intriguing variation on A Nightmare on Elm Street and Suicide Club, instead is murky in its character drama and underwhelming in horror. Characters are two-dimensionally developed and uninteresting, while the horror scenes are blandly integrated into the real world, and get repetitive in their fright tactics. The film also stretches out scenes much longer than it should, making it a rather dull.

2. Paolo Utili's rating of the film Nightmare Detective

3. OldGermanCurrency's rating of the film Nightmare Detective

4. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Nightmare Detective

3/10 e probabilmente Tsukamoto aveva perso il nume della ragione

5. Henri de Corinth's rating of the film Nightmare Detective

Has all the things you would expect from a Tsukamoto film but it also feels like you’re watching television shot on DSLR, thus it lacks that tactile magic his earlier films have.

6. kowalski's rating of the film Nightmare Detective

amazing progressive thank you very much mubi

7. weinbrandbabsi's rating of the film Nightmare Detective

8. Stefan Drees's rating of the film Nightmare Detective

The film reminded me too much of models like "Nightmare on Elm Street" and "The Cell" to surprise me. Also it got a bit weak in the end.

9. Jeremiah Johnson's rating of the film Nightmare Detective

Gripped me and held my interest longer than anticipated. I usually hate the shaky camera aesthetic but on this it fit perfectly.

10. Jason's rating of the film Nightmare Detective

Without getting into a philosophical digression that could not help but overstep the word-count limit, I want to assert that Nightmare Detective, while a reductive film about dream, is the greatest film of all time about the simultaneous pull toward and away from suicide, as well as about the kind of predatory sexuality the Japanese get so well. Shinya's casting of himself in Snake of June and here: best thing ever.

11. Loris De Santis's rating of the film Nightmare Detective

Pellicola girata discretamente e dall'incipit interessante. Peccato per il ritmo esageratamente altalenante e per una sceneggiatura che passata la metà del film si perde totalmente, quasi infastidendo per la sua inconsistenza.

12. Gabriele Taddei's rating of the film Nightmare Detective

Sequenze piene di tensione, trama profonda, personaggi sviluppati a 360 gradi, regia delirante, fotografia perfetta e montaggio serrato, il tutto condito con momenti che ricordano molto da vicino il caro vecchio "Tetsuo"

13. .'s rating of the film Nightmare Detective

the female detective is pretty lame if i recall and i didn't enjoy the film much. i really like the sequel though!

14. Zachary George Najarian-Najafi's rating of the film Nightmare Detective

This was a really good movie, but like others have noted it does feel like the pilot to a television series. The last act of the movie shows Tsukamoto's cinematic prowess at the fullest. That scene where the horror is interrupted by abstract images and happy childhood days is beautiful and emotional; the sign of a director who knows what he's doing. I want to see more Tsukamoto, but one of his masterpieces next time.

15. Cosi's rating of the film Nightmare Detective

Not so great but ok for looking up from the tablet for that Tsukamoto crazy. This can be said for all his films, the highlight being Tetsuo

16. J. O.'s rating of the film Nightmare Detective

Although this felt much more like a prologue to a story more than a complete film, it had many moments of eerie, nightmarish imagery. The way the "0" character moved and attacked within the dream world was the most effective aspect of the horror, otherwise it was kind of nonsensical and at times used bizarre funhouse-sounding techno music.

17. Sean's rating of the film Nightmare Detective

creepy and atmospheric japanese horror, it had its moments but those moments were rare. I wanted to like this more but I just found the acting to be not to my liking, some of these films are hit and miss and this one was definitely miss.

18. Mathias Palmberg's rating of the film Nightmare Detective

Despite Tsukamoto's trademark violence and weirdness this movie feels sort of half finished. There are some cool ideas in there but the budget does not meet the scope of the story nor does the eponymous detective get a worthy back story or screen time.