1. Auranee's rating of the film Noroît

2. EdieEmm's rating of the film Noroît

Initially absorbing, in the way the worlds we used to make up as kids were absorbing; with their rules that emanated from an internal logic that we all just inherently understood; that were fun, but somehow also strangely serious, and time passed unnoticed... Now I notice. After an hour, despite Rivette's vision, the great diegetic music, the sets, my 4 stars started falling... 2.5, up from 2, for the brilliant end.

3. Kaonashiii's rating of the film Noroît

Admittedly, I semi-snoozed through much of this, but nothing I saw of it leads me to regret this.

4. G.'s rating of the film Noroît

Chaplin's bone structure and tensile hands create this film; phantasmic compositions.

5. Ben Loory's rating of the film Noroît

6. Dan and Val Freeman's rating of the film Noroît

Just what I want from French new wave - long winded and bonkers! So many ideas ... like an open air theatre version of The Tempest with performance art, musicians playing in the scenes and feminist pirates running amok. Nothing like it.

7. Adam Whybray's rating of the film Noroît

Phantasmagorical piratical vengeance with dissonant chamber music! I loved the lo-fi fantasy aesthetic, but sadly my brain is too twitchy and neurotic to allow full immersion into Rivette's intoxicating world. "No more masks." "That it, exactly. A masked ball! With fireworks!"

8. Samuel Wells's rating of the film Noroît

To say the film is confused and meandering is an understatement. The film does no favors for the viewer to connect to or even comprehend the film for the beginning. The movie starts without prompting or time for the viewer to adjust to the world that he or she is expected to inhabit for the next 2+ hours. That all said, I still credit this film for being ambitious where too many films remain lackluster.

9. Chris Laursen's rating of the film Noroît

Left me befuddled. Frustrated at any attempt to form a cohesive plot in my head. Hard to tell actors apart from dead bodies. The musicians playing the music are actually in the movie, which was cool but most of the music was horrible to listen to. Not enough nudity for such an artsy flick

10. DrFirestone's rating of the film Noroît

This film reminded me of "Out 1"; while compared, "Noroît" lacks some of the mystery and atmosphere, it makes up for it with the unique combination of the setting, story, gorgeous costumes and experimental dance elements. While probably it is not Rivette's greatest film, his magic and madness still can be found here!

11. panagiotatos's rating of the film Noroît

12. theravecave@hotmail.co.uk's rating of the film Noroît

Beautiful setting, costumes and use of film stock. Wonderful mood music and lighting. Fantastic mixture of dance and drama. The Red Shoes meets Hamlet and yet utterly unique. Just fantastic

13. David R Williams's rating of the film Noroît

I know its Rivette but man....I just could not get behind this. Everything that gives arthouse cinema a bad name is included here. Maybe this was new and daring back in 1976 - yet I think that even then it would have appeared a good 10 years out of date. Rivette is usually a complete joy but this is a complete disaster.

14. captainfez's rating of the film Noroît

Ideally a revenge tragedy shouldn't make the audience want to stab themselves.

15. Levi Miah's rating of the film Noroît

Buccaneers are blended with a mid-70s wardrobe and thrown into an avant-garde revenge adventure that's big on theatrics and strung together with postured choreography and a diegetic score as eclectic as the visual mash-up. Recommended for swashbuckling discothèque adventurers that are also lovers of Jacobean vengeance.

16. BaptistePK's rating of the film Noroît

Un grand merci pour m'avoir fait découvrir ce film ! J'adore Rivette, je suis ravi d'avoir visionné celui ci ! Un régal !

17. Draughtsman Without Contract's rating of the film Noroît

Can come over as 70s avant-garde am-dram with costumes that wouldn't be out of place in Abba The Musical complete with noodling flute music and a dose of faux mythology best accompanied by a voiceover on semiotics from Roland Barthes. But it's also a fascinating, decidedly serious deconstruction of the role of text, sound and character in film as a psychoanalytical reflection of the unconscious. I loved it.

18. El Biffo's rating of the film Noroît

Rivette was so cool. Even though I don't exactly understand why they all kill each other I guess because they are all fighting over the pirate treasure? I love how the violence is all very obviously fake like in a stage play, not like a modern movie where they make it look like realistically horrifying murder.

19. Michael Zyx MH Claes's rating of the film Noroît

RIVETTE, polygame cinématographe, marionnettiste des femmes, aime les coller ensemble, les faire s'affronter, se rapprocher. Butinant de femme en femme, ce film long & lent est 1 mille-feuille, 1 sabayon doux, parfois écoeurant. = RIVETTE, polygamous puppeteer of women, likes filming them close to each other. A long & slow movie like a layer cake, at times indigest. Bernadette LAFONT, Geraldine CHAPLIN, Kika MARKHAM.

20. LASHLEY's rating of the film Noroît

21. fearraigh's rating of the film Noroît

Looks fantastic and has some fine set-pieces (including the climactic scene) but this overlong fantasy has too little dramatic heft for even such a master of the long form as Rivette to carry all the way.

22. Timmy93's rating of the film Noroît

Strange and at times hardly makes any sense. Rivette was chasing mood and atmosphere here. It works.

23. PJ's rating of the film Noroît

If you like Rivette you'll find a lot to chew, I guess - I don't know.

24. Dada Kubin's rating of the film Noroît

It’s a fine line between a good avant-garde film and a ridiculous one but with “Noroît”, Rivette falls below the line. Annoying overacting, embarrasingly clumsy action scenes and way too much trying to be arty. The best thing is the world in which the movie is set: a sort of timeless-yet-70s-disco-middleages in which women have (finally) taken over.