1. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Nowhere in Africa

2. El Biffo's rating of the film Nowhere in Africa

It's good, but way too Hollywoodish for my taste. Especially the fucking music, ugh. I actually turned off the sound for part of it, since there were subtitles. I'm subtracting a whole star just for that, schmaltzy Hollywood-style music. This film won an Oscar, tho, so there has to be something tacky about it to make it qualify for an Academy Award. 3.6

3. Amandio Filipe Moura's rating of the film Nowhere in Africa

Absorbing, beautifully filmed and acted

4. mnpanetsos's rating of the film Nowhere in Africa

Actually I love the way to show Jewish stories about the Holocaust from other kind of stories, not the typical in Germany or Poland. Really interesting the detail about how fast the girl learns the languages, how fast she makes friends and how fast she can changes places, and how different are the adults grown with some traditions and harder believes.

5. Dibyajyoti Sarma's rating of the film Nowhere in Africa

Two women directors, Claire Denis and Caroline Link. Two stories set in colonial Africa. Two movies see from the point of view of a young white girl. Two stories with a black servant in a white household in the focus. Two stories looking at the past, trying to decode it. Yet, so different are the two films! Link’s Nowhere in Africa is, at the heart of it, is a breathtaking romantic saga of lost childhood.

6. clarud@hotmail.com's rating of the film Nowhere in Africa

It takes a while to kick, but then it becomes familiar, cozzy and touching

7. msmichel's rating of the film Nowhere in Africa

2001 Oscar winner for Foreign Language Film that told a novel WWII story from the perspective of Jewish emigrates to Kenya who escaped Germany before the ghettos and the break out of war. Each of the three lead characters find different ways of surviving and coping with their new home but the film truly sings when it concentrates on the relations between them and their new Kenyan neighbours. Juliane Kohler excels.

8. Herny130's rating of the film Nowhere in Africa

I really enjoyed this film, specially because the story takes place in Africa. It was, though, a little bit too long. I don't give it four stars because of that and because I think that the photography and the editing could have been slightly better. Besides that, I really recomend this movie and I sugest checking out "TABU" from Miguel Gomes (It's another "biography style" movie that also takes place in Africa)

9. Martinotro's rating of the film Nowhere in Africa

Belle le musiche, il montaggio, la fotografia, i dialoghi. La trama è molto semplice ma l'aspetto più affascinante sono i rapporti umani molto profondi.

10. Cid Medeiros's rating of the film Nowhere in Africa

An excellent approach about the relations between different ethnic groups. Using the WWII as a perfect start, the history guides you to the development of a nice idea: differences cause no harm. Off course, before that there's the discrimination among germans and jews, white and black and, with some irony, english towards jews. The Kenyan countryside has a wonderful visual impact thanks to the great photography.

11. mpho3's rating of the film Nowhere in Africa

"Caroline Link and myself knew that Kenya as a place for a film production would be more difficult, complex and more strenuous than South Africa. We opted for Kenya and were sure the film would be more authentic, atmospheric and have better locations; besides, a Zulu is not a Masai or Pokot." - Peter Herrmann, Producer

12. Ayesha Casely-Hayford's rating of the film Nowhere in Africa

This film is amazing. I can't believe some of the images captured. It is so well done - superb. I'm so happy to have seen this film.

13. raggiodisole's rating of the film Nowhere in Africa

Fish out of water takes wing and becomes a bird. all very nicely done, but there were clunky moments, and it was overlong. There are other treasures for those seeking this type of story

14. Benji's rating of the film Nowhere in Africa

Personally, I enjoyed it immensely. There were a few things that jarred, but nothing is perfect. I liked all the characters, the scenary, the story. Yeah. Really good.

15. svenrufus's rating of the film Nowhere in Africa

I was completely unaware of this before it came up here, and I was really pleasantly surprised by how good it was. The development of the characters was well managed and credible. Sidede Onyulo in particular was wonderful - sad to read of his early death.

16. Vanessa Jubenot's rating of the film Nowhere in Africa

I absolutely love love LOVED this film!!!! It'll make you smile and cry all at once.

17. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Nowhere in Africa

***1/2. Good African saga, without paternalism, that raises the right questions. Recommended.

18. guamyankee's rating of the film Nowhere in Africa

Not forgettable at all. A deep, moving, movie set in beautiful Kenya with very good acting. It was very easy to see why this movie won the Oscar for best foreign film of the year.

19. Phil Worfel's rating of the film Nowhere in Africa

Professional but totally forgettable.