1. Rocco's rating of the film Oculus

There are some niggling issues here and some poor acting choices there, but Oculus is such a grim and bizarre mind-bender that it's truly hard to resist. It still astonishes me that something this strange got a wide release.

2. Henri de Corinth's rating of the film Oculus

Same temporal/perceptual editing tricks as in Videodrome and Dead Again -builds arbitrary walls between past and present, reality and illusion, etc. and then tears them down. It's no masterpiece but it's cute.

3. João R's rating of the film Oculus

Too blunt from the beginning. Plus, it felt the need to tell the same story twice, leaving the true mystery untouched - the mirror.

4. Kreg's rating of the film Oculus

I was legitimately surprised at how well this film used flashback and trickery to keep the movie tense the whole way through despite establishing from the beginning what we could expect. Disturbing moments, revelations, and the usual scares keep the pacing going strongly. The plot breaks down a tiny bi at the end before everything comes full circle, but that is also in line with how the mirror works.

5. Steve G.'s rating of the film Oculus

Would have got 5 stars if Gil Grissom had been glimpsed entering the house at the end.

6. DenoResandono's rating of the film Oculus

A good horror movie, actually. The premise was unique. The "ghost" or "devil" is described as a seducer and tricky one. In some parts, I felt that the blend between the past and present too distracting...

7. Ale/M's rating of the film Oculus

8. EdzeronK's rating of the film Oculus

9. Natalia Kulewskaya's rating of the film Oculus

10. matelot's rating of the film Oculus

11. vivi's rating of the film Oculus

akjshsahdladhuhejasdankjl. enough said.

12. eek's rating of the film Oculus

I really liked it, but hated the ending

13. JD Tastad's rating of the film Oculus

.... Play scary music over any sitcom and its the same thing, too bad no one seems to get the horror proliferating in their own homeS, or else they'd burn them down

14. Daniela's rating of the film Oculus

Noooo why would they end it like that? :<

15. mpho3's rating of the film Oculus

The flashbacks were very well done. The child actors, the actors who played their parents, and the plotting of the family's tribulations vastly outshined the segments featuring the siblings as adults, and I really hated the ending. 2.5 stars

16. Shawn Adams Sagen's rating of the film Oculus

3.5, something felt off about the ending

17. Michael Peer's rating of the film Oculus

Slightly elevated, moderately unsettling, yet completely forgettable. Mike Flanagan's short film of the same name was far more effective than this feature version. You can tell his hands were tied, being forced to appeal to a younger audience, applying the same character traits and actions from the short to the young leads in this film. It doesn't work but the story is layered enough to stay slightly interesting.

18. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Oculus

Perhaps not the most accomplished modern horror, but the metaphorical/cinematic potentialities of the central figure-- the mirror, the gaze... more to think about than I realized at first.

19. Terry_Moby's rating of the film Oculus

more like **1/2 ... OK story with not even an attempt to explain anything. The set design is particularly weak (and obviously sponsered by Apple).

20. Dogukan4Ever's rating of the film Oculus

21. enchi's rating of the film Oculus

22. msmichel's rating of the film Oculus

Passable psychological horror flick that evokes a fair amount of dread but with very little payoff in the end. Over-rated in some quarters.

23. filmcapsule's rating of the film Oculus

Refreshingly light on jump scares, Oculus instead uses really nice editing to join related stories in different time periods and evoke a more psychological than physical dread. It reminded me of puzzle films or "mind-benders" like Triangle and Coherence. It's strange, though, that imagery and motifs specific to the mirror aren't played up more; for most of the film, the possessed object could have been anything.

24. Ricky Robertson Jr.'s rating of the film Oculus

Despite the hype, I expected another typical ghost story in line with the recent trend of "throwback" horror. While the premise isn't all that original, it's presented in an extremely intelligent way that constantly and seamlessly shifts between past, present, real, and hallucination, and keeps you hooked from the time things start getting really crazy. It exceeded my expectations from start to finish.