1. Funda Can Çuvalcı's rating of the film Of Human Bondage

The performances make the film worth watching. The book can be deeper; but the film is basically about the nature of love; man/woman relationships.

2. LauraPalmer's rating of the film Of Human Bondage

3. reijagrrl's rating of the film Of Human Bondage

yet another "nice guy" who's entitled to your affections because HE fell in love with you. just great.

4. Aardsy's rating of the film Of Human Bondage

5. eugenie de sade's rating of the film Of Human Bondage

3rd star is for "when you kissed me i always used to wipe my mouth -- WIPE MY MOUTH!!! (skip the rest)

6. cherbourgdoll's rating of the film Of Human Bondage

love the emphasis on leslie howards feet

7. Ryan Christopher Coleman's rating of the film Of Human Bondage

i cant lie... Bette shocked me. This movie came out the year the Hays production code was established, making the non-stop venom that spews from Bette's mouth that much more impressive. Mildred truly represents the modern girl: flagrantly crude, disdainful of monogamy, bored with children, suspicious of club-feet...

8. msmichel's rating of the film Of Human Bondage

Davis famously rebelled against Jack Warner to do this film for another studio and successfully reinvented herself as a dramatic actress in doing so. She is fabulously vulgar here fully capturing the W. Somerset Maugham creation in a larger than life performance. Howard is quite striking as well in a part that seems tailor fit.

9. SpacePirate's rating of the film Of Human Bondage

Great drama. The best early-period Davis performance.

10. Gia de Almeida's rating of the film Of Human Bondage

While Cromwell oversimplified and underdeveloped one of my favourite novels of all time and made it quite a common melodrama, I must say the casting was absolutely perfect. Bette Davis is exactly as I pictured Mildred and the same can be said about Leslie Howard as Phillip. They carry the movie and make watching it worthwhile with their outstanding and compelling performances.

11. Neither/Nor's rating of the film Of Human Bondage

In those exchanges of viewing, viewer, and viewed, a discourse of gaze and tension that the narrative can hardly accommodate.

12. Pierluigi Puccini's rating of the film Of Human Bondage

The electrifying, larger than life persona of Bette Davis and her big swollen eyes are enough to captivate Leslie Howard's poor but well meaning sap, and film lovers like myself too. A compelling melodrama about unrequited love, obsession, excess of candidness, and punishment.

13. Aida's rating of the film Of Human Bondage

14. Ellie Groom's rating of the film Of Human Bondage

15. micol cavuoto mei's rating of the film Of Human Bondage

cruel, deep, reminded me of a lot that I know well.

16. BUSHRA's rating of the film Of Human Bondage

even though i'm frustrated that my favorite book (like other versions of it) reduce the story to an ill-fated and mismatched romance, i have to say that bette davis' impeccable performance proves why she should have won the oscar for that year and why i'm giving it five stars. her scenes were frightfully sincere and i think the complete embodiment of what maugham envisioned for mildred.

17. pjjrfan's rating of the film Of Human Bondage

That scene where Davis's character explodes on Howard's character is intense as dated as this movie seems now that scene alone makes this movie worthwhile. That kind of emotion doesn't have a era that's as real a performance as any I have seen.

18. mjgildea's rating of the film Of Human Bondage

Heavy on all the things I dislike about movies from the 30s (hollowness, overdramaticism and slow pacing), Of Human Bondage is alright but not fantastic. The story is kind of a trainwreck (if only I could've popped into the screen and choked Leslie Howard) and watching an adorable Bette Davis turn into a ghoul was a beautiful bummer.

19. chanandre's rating of the film Of Human Bondage