1. Brotherdeacon's rating of the film Of Time and the City

(3 & a half) Sharp, sarcastic, mordant, vicious; and yet heartfelt and personal, not unlike an old man tearfully re-telling the low-points of a 50 year marriage to keep himself from being torn apart by longing and sorrow now that his spouse has died. Terence Davies asks "asleep or dead?"--I don't know, but certainly not forgotten.

2. Raminta's rating of the film Of Time and the City

'We love the place we hate, then hate the place we love. We leave the place we love, then spend a lifetime trying to regain it.'

3. Thomas Dods's rating of the film Of Time and the City

Was bored after 20 mins. I can understand how people can be drawn into the film and Terrence Davies has an awesome voice, but it left me cold. I assume you have to be northern to understand...,

4. captainfez's rating of the film Of Time and the City

Interminable melange of stock footage and self-important diarising.

5. Rachel and Saranne's rating of the film Of Time and the City

6. Jeremiah Johnson's rating of the film Of Time and the City

7. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Of Time and the City

Since I'm obsessed with Pathé material, this touching personal statement is not new territory for me. But still worth to watch it!

8. Vincent T's rating of the film Of Time and the City

9. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Of Time and the City

Davies y todo lo que ya había pronunciado en su primer cine, sobre la melancolía del pasado, el mundo de los suburbios, los fantasmas de la homosexualidad y cómo el conservadurismo católico mello en su integridad. Todo esto, en clave filosófica. El director sigue recordando, pero reflexiona a su paso. Un documental sobre la decadencia, pero también sobre la fundación, sobre la vida y la muerte, una época cíclica.

10. Duque's rating of the film Of Time and the City

"El final de nuestra exploración será llegar al punto donde empezamos para conocer el lugar por primera vez" Terence Davies

11. mbpmr's rating of the film Of Time and the City

"light is life - we let it in"

12. Chumlum's rating of the film Of Time and the City

My first Davies. Loved it, looking forward to watching all his other films.

13. El Biffo's rating of the film Of Time and the City

Stunning poetry. Deeply reverent, and at the same time, shockingly irreverent. Magnificent.

14. eric gould's rating of the film Of Time and the City

Change is difficult, particularly bearing witness to its stormy shifts over the years. Of Time and the City offers memoir and commentary about post-war Liverpool, Terence Davies' boyhood home. Growing up Catholic under the faded pomp of British monarchy, he's bitter and nostalgic about this dirty old town that's far from elysian with brutish social housing. A search for the port city's soul ebbs towards a lost past.

15. Victor Bruno's rating of the film Of Time and the City

I couldn't care less about this disgusting, self-indulgent and ridiculous naftalina-smelling atrocity. Every - and I mean every - minute I noticed it kept insisting in exist I wanted to die.

16. Matthew Martens's rating of the film Of Time and the City

A languid, lugubrious lope down memory lane, Of Time and the City is neither particularly probing about Liverpool's post-war history nor notably revealing about Davies' own overlapping story as it played out there. The voice-over, moreover, can wax ponderously florid. But as a hazy dream of a tone poem, it works. The tenor of tender bafflement and gentle regret in the face of inexorable change holds true to the end.

17. DanielJD's rating of the film Of Time and the City

18. Weaving Wave's rating of the film Of Time and the City

Considering how easily I succumb to old footage, poetic|contemplative documentaries and always ready to be influenced by music, this one was magically ineffective and bland.

19. EastyBoy's rating of the film Of Time and the City

I watched this again recently and really changed my opinion about it. The first time I liked some of it, but was left slightly disappointed. On rewatch however I found it mesmerisingly beautiful. A superb combination of image, music and voice.

20. bees can see ultraviolet light's rating of the film Of Time and the City

my mother and grandparents were born in liverpool. it was nice to see how they would have lived.

21. Christopher R. Smith's rating of the film Of Time and the City

Terence Davies' documentary portrait of his native Liverpool manages a strange hypnotic quality through its blending of archival footage, personal anecdote, and overly-poetic narration. It's not without its overwrought moments, but it manages to stay compelling throughout and has a number of inspired images.

22. Erik Gregersen's rating of the film Of Time and the City

Would make a great double feature with My Winnipeg.

23. Matt Kilgore's rating of the film Of Time and the City

astounding... sublime and entrancing.

24. CRW's rating of the film Of Time and the City

Totally underrated. A masterpiece.