1. Ethan's rating of the film Oliver Twist

This is a very haunting and gothic looking film that bears a striking resemblance to the German Expressionism of the 20s.

2. Jenelle Stafford's rating of the film Oliver Twist

beautiful shots, great faces, "i'll eat my head" !

3. Nabil Hamzaki's rating of the film Oliver Twist

"Cry your hardest now, it opens the lungs, washes the countenance, exercises the eyes and softens down the temper. So cry away."

4. captainfez's rating of the film Oliver Twist

5. Superfrog's rating of the film Oliver Twist

Delivers the absolute horror of different shades of inhumanity well. The image and the light work is stunning, as well as some of the composition work. To me, violently uncomfortable in parts.

6. Thomas Dods's rating of the film Oliver Twist

Obviously a classic adaptation - probably one of the best. What struck me the last time I watched it was the beautiful and stark black and white cinematography which makes the film rather scary in places (as it should be) and brings out the Victorian squalor.

7. gillesp's rating of the film Oliver Twist

People praise Guinness for his portrayal but Robert Newton is outstanding as Bill Sykes, as is the young Anthony Newley as the Artful Dodger. As for the crowds of extras not a face out of place.

8. Ayesha Casely-Hayford's rating of the film Oliver Twist

"What right have you to butcher me?" - Fagin. Doesn't matter how well you know this story, this film fills with nerves, heart in mouth. Looking forward to seeing your favourite characters, that you know are coming up next. Perfectly played by every single cast member from the poor house boys, old hags, street sellers, Fagin's boys, courtroom, Mr Bumble, and his belly. Music, scenery. Magic. Classic.

9. Log Lady's rating of the film Oliver Twist

Lean's Dickens adaptations are the reason why I think Victorian London looks best in black and white.

10. Elle Johnston's rating of the film Oliver Twist

A childhood favourite of mine! It brings back really fond memories. (I never liked Disney but I loved black and white classic movies? Yes, I was an odd child)

11. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Oliver Twist

12. Rikard Westeman's rating of the film Oliver Twist

A wonderful Dickens adaptation by Lean. Great cinematography and set design. Memorable performance by Guinness as Fagin.

13. Teodora Sebastian's rating of the film Oliver Twist

The fourth star I was going to give this got lost somewhere up Alec Guinness's prosthetic nose.

14. Stefan Drees's rating of the film Oliver Twist

David Lean's film is still one of the best Dickens adaptions (although Roman Polanski's "Oliver Twist" isn't bad as well). The black and white photography is very intriguing, also the score by British composer Arnold Bax (it has some really great moments).

15. Anne Moleyn's rating of the film Oliver Twist

An accurate portrayal of London, as far as i can tell, some very good acting ... Good film !

16. Ellie's rating of the film Oliver Twist

This was the film that made me realize what a great actor Alec Guinness was.

17. ArmandS's rating of the film Oliver Twist

Another great Lean adaptation of a Dickens novel. He evokes the Victorian era so well, you can almost smell the dirt on the streets of London, and the desperate world of some of its characters.

18. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film Oliver Twist

19. A47's rating of the film Oliver Twist

Visually spell-binding and equally engaging. This is a superbly crafted film with a rich world. A feast of characters with delicious performances. Mildly avant-garde at points and nearly perfect editing throughout. "Please sir, may I have some more?" --couldn't help myself...

20. StellaWasaDiver's rating of the film Oliver Twist

The kid playing Oliver is the usual annoying child actor, but everybody else was incredible, especially Sir Guinness and the guy who played Symes.

21. Howard Orr's rating of the film Oliver Twist

Perfectly shot, edited, acted, art directed, scored. My favourite David Lean film, before he started indulging his epic tendencies. And one of the most beautiful-looking films ever created.

22. Richmond Hill's rating of the film Oliver Twist

Taut, tight and telling adaptation with a far from picaresque view of Victorian London. Beautifully balanced in almost every facet, this is lean Lean converting an essentially written truth into one of great visual beauty. One of the highest points of British cinema.

23. lauli's rating of the film Oliver Twist

Definitely the best adaptation of this book there is. Great cinematography, impeccable script. It took the end credits for me to realise Alec Guinness was playing Fagin!

24. CRW's rating of the film Oliver Twist

WONDERFULLY vivid portrayal of Victorian London, however I cannot help but feel the characters have been better played. ****