1. Isabel Arantes's rating of the film On the Beach

É provável que o livro seja melhor.

2. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film On the Beach

3. Nachtreich's rating of the film On the Beach

4. the_mentaculus's rating of the film On the Beach

Nearly nothing happens, then the ending tells us how much we suck. Manipulative in a conceited, overtly moralistic way.

5. Terri Wise's rating of the film On the Beach

I have even MORE respect for Fred Astaire after watching this film. His performance is stunning.

6. CafeGradiva's rating of the film On the Beach

7. bclvines@gmail.com's rating of the film On the Beach

Quite honestly, this film is so marvellous and intense that I simply couldn't bring myself to watch the end, I know I will one day, but I must have a stronger heart.

8. Zach Closs's rating of the film On the Beach

After opening the movie with a relationship as passionate and believeable as the one between Anthony Perkins and Donna Anderson's characters, the extreme lack of chemistry between Peck's stiff captain and Gardner's irritating, overacted Moira was almost unbearable. Restrained and mature sci-fi in places; a real shame it couldn't find better emotional anchors in its stars.

9. Edna Sweetlove's rating of the film On the Beach

The only good thing about On The Beach is that Astaire doesn't sing or dance. Well, that's 2 good things.

10. runfromfire's rating of the film On the Beach

Well adapted, well paced & well acted. Does anyone play stoic better than Gregory Peck? It captures the book's air of futility startingly well. The shot of Swain watching the submarine never fails to choke me up and the last 20-30 minutes are some of the most depressing scenes in cinematic history. "We're all doomed you know. The whole silly, drunken, pathetic lot of us. Doomed by the air we're about to breathe."

11. lauli's rating of the film On the Beach

I think this is a remarkable film. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it captures the spirit of the book, the idea of the end of the world approaching inexorably and the population having to cope with it in quiet desperation. "This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper". Nice performance by Fred Astaire.