1. bryanvmh's rating of the film Only Angels Have Wings

Better and more engaging flying scenes than Dunkirk - especially with the tiny models

2. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Only Angels Have Wings

Parece el perfil de una comedia romántica, pero el peso de lo funesto no cede el lugar. El filme de Hawks apunta a un tema trágico, a consecuencia de una pasión desenfrenada por la aviación desenvuelta en una inmediación precaria, y que además arrastra a sus agentes a un cinismo e insensibilidad ante su conciencia de un futuro incierto. Frente a esto, hay una necesidad por frustrar cualquier momento romántico.

3. Balthaz21's rating of the film Only Angels Have Wings

4. FISCHER's rating of the film Only Angels Have Wings

Un solide film à connotation mélodramatique, plein d'émotion et de sentiments retenus, mais aussi un hymne puissant à l'amitié, aux héros quotidiens et anonymes des débuts de l'aéronautique. Un film touchant, étonnant, envoûtant... www.cinefiches.com

5. Love Walked In's rating of the film Only Angels Have Wings

Rewatch. Big up Cary Grant not to carry a matchbox all the time. Hundreds of punch lines by the world's toughest guys from everywhere in the screen. Sleeping beauty Thomas Mitchell forever.

6. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film Only Angels Have Wings

3.5 stars. This is a good, not great film. I thought Cary Grant was a little stolid and Jean Arthur was not quite right but the supporting cast was wonderful and they did much to intensify the atmosphere.

7. Tigrão's rating of the film Only Angels Have Wings

What a fantastic adventure/comedy/drama. The on-screen chemistry between Cary Grant and Jean Arthur is truly memorable. One of the best of Howard Hawks' films.

8. eugenie de sade's rating of the film Only Angels Have Wings

one of those movies that's saved completely by the last 15 minutes, otherwise cary grant is wasted as a boring chauvanist while jean arthur and rita hayworth are sidelined too much to do anything compelling. great flying scenes though and some great lines towards the end

9. Khach Aloyan's rating of the film Only Angels Have Wings

10. MS1915's rating of the film Only Angels Have Wings

I love the world that Hawkes creates here: a world where death is hotter than the women. I found the film to be at dry at times, but wholly original and interesting at that.

11. kubrickhallway's rating of the film Only Angels Have Wings

A multi-layered, genre-blending film. From its action and romance to the psychology of its characters and questions of family, friendship and loyalty - this is a film that flirts with so many things it's almost puzzling the whole thing works at all. An essential Hawks masterpiece.

12. nessmj's rating of the film Only Angels Have Wings

flawless. a realists view of death as not only an inevitability but a fact against which people struggle daily. Jean Arthur at first entirely dismayed by the manner in which this band of outsiders handles loss, comes to understand through necessity and a particular bravado do these men handle death with light, though still somber, jocularity. the woes and glories of camaraderie illuminated.

13. Braden Vallenères's rating of the film Only Angels Have Wings

Just about as perfect as Golden Age Hollywood gets.

14. hayden's rating of the film Only Angels Have Wings

something about cary grant's cadence makes me want to take the nearest woman for a steak dinner.

15. Hugo Poderoso's rating of the film Only Angels Have Wings

I consider this one as a kind of film-friend. It stands multiple rewatchs better than other more "perfect" movies 'cause it feels like a visit to spend some time with it and be surprised again with its several idiosyncrasies.

16. Ethan's rating of the film Only Angels Have Wings

Howard Hawks was a true filmmaker who knew how to make entertaining art. The action and emotions fly high in this exciting piece of cinema.

17. SpacePirate's rating of the film Only Angels Have Wings

Jean Arthur could do no wrong imo, Grant also. Hawks is one of my favorite filmmakers so its a no brainer that I love this one so much.

18. YKWX's rating of the film Only Angels Have Wings

You chump, that was the doorknob

19. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film Only Angels Have Wings

A film that positively fizzes from the start - something around the theatrical intensity of the extended scenes and the real spark between all the characters - it's a real ensemble piece with wonderfully subtle pieces of characterisation and fleeting non-verbal moments between characters. Genuine sophisticated drama punctuated by laugh-out-loud moments so you can easily forgive some of the iffy gender politics.

20. Laura Hitchman's rating of the film Only Angels Have Wings

Very impressive... Amazing to glimpse the early aero industry. But whilst the intensity of the flying scenes transcends the period, the tension between Bonnie and Geoff does not.

21. Rob vincent's rating of the film Only Angels Have Wings

Straight from the off Hawks creates a totally believable universe that's sustained throughout the movie. It might have all been shot in a Californian studio - for all I know - but the lush black and white photography creates a landscape / environment that's superbly realised and gorgeous to look at. So many beautiful moments in this film. And so many plot expectations overturned.

22. Alice Rizzo's rating of the film Only Angels Have Wings

I was expecting something that never happened.

23. UterusFactory's rating of the film Only Angels Have Wings

I still can't make up my mind about this. On the one hand, the specter of death makes some moments of Hawks' wit and levity seem too superficially Hollywood to land right. On the other hand, this disconnect can be read as a kind of brilliant, grim nihilism. It's also worth mentioning that the 'hysterical women who must sublate their emotions in a world of macho bromance' narrative is frustrating

24. Imelda Says's rating of the film Only Angels Have Wings

I know there are a lot of rave reviews about the perfection of this film, and it is visually magnificent in places, and dramatically taut just about everywhere. But I can't get along with the sexual politics. It's of it's time, I know, but I can't gloss over the whole 'shaking a crying woman by the shoulders because any display of emotion is mere feminine hysteria'. Unhealthy relationships romanticised.