1. noice's rating of the film Opening Night

2. Kuja's rating of the film Opening Night

Inside out of the inside out: Gena Rowlands (prodigious) is an actress in an actress in an actress. And inside the drama plot there is a (not so) subtle horror movie.

3. Vincent T's rating of the film Opening Night

This one doesn't hit me emotionally as Husbands, but it is an intelligent film.

4. Mattia Ricotta's rating of the film Opening Night

5. lbunuel's rating of the film Opening Night

How Cassavetes subverts our formal expectations - how the surreal elements come to life precisely because of the "realist" aesthetics that encapsulate them - is unrivalled. To say that this is a character study is to seriously undervalue the genius and scope of this wonder. Gena Rowlands is brilliant as usual, and the makers of Birdman should be embarrassed.

6. Aaron C Jones's rating of the film Opening Night

Some say this is Cassavetes's best work with his wifey Rowlands, but my preference is still A Woman Under the Influence or Faces, they're all tied I guess... I love the pseudo-noir opening with her narrating. This would be a great film to double feature with All About my Mother (which borrows a scene from this) or maybe Sunset Boulevard (which I haven't seen yet) or All About Eve (which I have).

7. jewelsofglory's rating of the film Opening Night

Gena Rowlands: queen of hysteria. Cassavetes once again invades the mind of a scitzophrenic, who’s guilt transverse into a dillusion confusing a stage show with reality.

8. Rupert Giles's rating of the film Opening Night

9. Ark V's rating of the film Opening Night

POWERFUL performances. A rollercoaster ride. Finishing the film live may have brought necessary insight to the method of production but transferring the scene to a devoted audience lost a little of the enigma for me.

10. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film Opening Night

11. Maribou's rating of the film Opening Night

There's a belter of an 80min horror film trapped inside this flabby edit that entertains, bores & turns the screw in equal measure. Rowlands is superb as the actor on the edge, trapped in a role she can't confront, in a terrible play we have to endure with her. The camerawork is great & there are scenes of brilliance but the plot drags, the dialogue rambles, the aesthetics are ugly & the point of it all evaporates.

12. Nachtreich's rating of the film Opening Night

☆☆☆ e mezzo. Cassavetes ti amo.

13. Nicole Richie's rating of the film Opening Night

14. ceknklsn's rating of the film Opening Night

84/100 (Art, Birdman, Melancholia, Persona, Theater, Gena Rowlands... Bu saydıklarımın hepsinin tadını unutanlar için kusursuz bir film ve ben de onların hepsini unutan taraftanım. Belki öyle olmasam etkisi daha düşük olabilirdi.)

15. Balthaz21's rating of the film Opening Night

16. Joana China's rating of the film Opening Night

Every director should capture their actors with the same love Cassavetes shot Gena Rowlands. The camera is in love with her. And so am I.

17. PiarviRecherreen's rating of the film Opening Night

Sur la corde raide - s'éveiller à la dimension émotionnelle de l'être.

18. Janae's rating of the film Opening Night

19. FISCHER's rating of the film Opening Night

Une oeuvre difficile et pathétique, d'une exceptionnelle acuité... www.cinefiches.com

20. -REM-'s rating of the film Opening Night

21. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film Opening Night

Cassavetes defeats me. I stare at his movies in befuddlement. All his actors remain actors to me, doing exercises. I don't get it. This film is different from his others in that it has a redeeming feature: Joan Blondell. I can relate to her humanity.

22. antoniam's rating of the film Opening Night

"I'm sick to death of hearing how old this woman is. Who gives a damn how old this woman is? Does she win or does she lose? That's what I want to know."

23. bagno's rating of the film Opening Night