1. nyyssonen's rating of the film Orlando

2. Aaron C Jones's rating of the film Orlando

Shelmerdine: "Are you hurt, ma'am?" Orlando: "I am dead, sir." Shelmerdine: "Dead – That's serious." British Lit films are always "lit," if you will. This is so intricate and literary. I love all the 4th wall-breaking moments. Subdued but very funny when it tries to be.

3. Shahin Katila's rating of the film Orlando

4. dionysus67's rating of the film Orlando

An impressive and divine in its artificiality 'essay' on the blurring of distinctions, gender, sexual, national. The stunning opening sequence (Rodionov's exuberant camerawork) announces the shift of identities as Orlando is filmed in inverse movement from that of the camera. This is among the many visual and aural pleasures of this direct (great 4th wall breaches) and free of demagogy caring gaze of Orlando.

5. Josh the Bookseller's rating of the film Orlando

First half channels Woolf's glib, surreal austerity. 'Orlando' is top-5-novels material for me, so I was inevitably disappointed with the lack of ceremony in the transformation scene. In the novel, Orlando goes into a cocoon surrounded by cherubs & witches, emerging a woman. That's so tight! Why Potter chose to undercut this I'll never know. Anyway great cinematography, Swinton rules etc. Go read the book!

6. apriccot's rating of the film Orlando

(not to) drown anonymously in the milk of female kindness "nature, nature, i am your bride, take me"

7. cineholic's rating of the film Orlando

9.5/10. Sally Potter translates Woolf's novel into a brisk absurdist comedy. There doesn't feel like much of a logical connection between events, but the nonsensical leaps through time play well with the surprisingly funny scenes. The production design is simply gorgeous and Tilda Swinton's androgynous beauty is mesmerizing.

8. hemachandra's rating of the film Orlando

9. Rafael Zen's rating of the film Orlando

Etherial and fantastic, this Orlando is built on fairy-tale ground - everything is beautifully put together so you don't ever fall from its web. It catches you by the imagery - and oh-how Tilda belongs here. Like dozens and dozens of pictures - Potter does art work, framing reality as make believe. Congratulations, my eyes are pleased.

10. Richmond Hill's rating of the film Orlando

Potter's suitably irreverent masque is a thoroughly decent attempt to film a tricky novel capturing its less than cinematic themes of transcendentalism and immortality, together with the easier - and now drearily contemporary - topic of identity (the film is no doubt due a pert revival on that score alone). Swinton's gamine androgyny is put to early good use.

11. yulyasemenova's rating of the film Orlando

12. Zac Weber's rating of the film Orlando

A singular film that should fascinate anyone interested in the construction of identity, in both a "real" and cinematic sense. Some parts of the film are inadvertently hilarious (i.e. Billy Zane trotting in on the horse).

13. Chiara_WinterGarten's rating of the film Orlando

La quarta stella è perché certi frames sembrano dei dipinti fiamminghi

14. 5000yearoldbogmummy//Rhett's rating of the film Orlando

This is *a* perfect way to adapt Woolf's oddest book. Special praise goes to the soundtrack, composition, and the humor! I love how much of the Chuckle Factor comes from people slow running.

15. Aaken's rating of the film Orlando

Who but Tilda Swinton could have played Orlando with such ease and naturalness?

16. bryanvmh's rating of the film Orlando

If only we were all her Tildren.

17. James Mackin's rating of the film Orlando

Billy Zane is a gift to us all. And Tilda Swinton gives maybe her greatest performance here.

18. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Orlando

This was when I fell in love with Tilda. It just happens to be a great movie as well.

19. spiderliliez's rating of the film Orlando

Now this is timeless! I can't believe I missed a precious gem all these years. Based from Virginia Woolf's novel of the same title. Tilda Swinton plays both genders on this revolutionary take on life and the sexes, and she's amazing! What a remarkable piece of cinema. I found myself in awe, marveling, and laughing at the same time. My treasure box is never full, and this is definitely in my collection.

20. Samuel Donath's rating of the film Orlando

An androgynous delight with Tilda.

21. Raymond Likes Subtitles's rating of the film Orlando

22. Diana Crişan's rating of the film Orlando

"my sex is pronounced indisputably and beyond shadow of a doubt... female..."

23. knockkneed's rating of the film Orlando

kind of creative, but doesn't do the book any justice

24. redux's rating of the film Orlando

Decent as it is, it only reveals the insubstantiality of the source novel.