1. Josh the Bookseller's rating of the film Orlando

First half channels Woolf's glib, surreal austerity. 'Orlando' is top-5-novels material for me, so I was inevitably disappointed with the lack of ceremony in the transformation scene. In the novel, Orlando goes into a cocoon surrounded by cherubs & witches, emerging a woman. That's so tight! Why Potter chose to undercut this I'll never know. Anyway great cinematography, Swinton rules etc. Go read the book!

2. apriccot's rating of the film Orlando

(not to) drown anonymously in the milk of female kindness "nature, nature, i am your bride, take me"

3. G. Thomas Esmay's rating of the film Orlando

9.5/10. Sally Potter translates Woolf's novel into a brisk absurdist comedy. There doesn't feel like much of a logical connection between events, but the nonsensical leaps through time play well with the surprisingly funny scenes. The production design is simply gorgeous and Tilda Swinton's androgynous beauty is mesmerizing.

4. hemachandra's rating of the film Orlando

5. Rafael Zen's rating of the film Orlando

Etherial and fantastic, this Orlando is built on fairy-tale ground - everything is beautifully put together so you don't ever fall from its web. It catches you by the imagery - and oh-how Tilda belongs here. Like dozens and dozens of pictures - Potter does art work, framing reality as make believe. Congratulations, my eyes are pleased.

6. Richmond Hill's rating of the film Orlando

Potter's suitably irreverent masque is a thoroughly decent attempt to film a tricky novel capturing its less than cinematic themes of transcendentalism and immortality, together with the easier - and now drearily contemporary - topic of identity (the film is no doubt due a pert revival on that score alone). Swinton's gamine androgyny is put to early good use.

7. yulyasemenova's rating of the film Orlando

8. Zac Weber's rating of the film Orlando

A singular film that should fascinate anyone interested in the construction of identity, in both a "real" and cinematic sense. Some parts of the film are inadvertently hilarious (i.e. Billy Zane trotting in on the horse).

9. Chiara_WinterGarten's rating of the film Orlando

La quarta stella è perché certi frames sembrano dei dipinti fiamminghi

10. 5000yearoldbogmummy//Rhett's rating of the film Orlando

This is *a* perfect way to adapt Woolf's oddest book. Special praise goes to the soundtrack, composition, and the humor! I love how much of the Chuckle Factor comes from people slow running.

11. Aaken's rating of the film Orlando

Who but Tilda Swinton could have played Orlando with such ease and naturalness?

12. bryanvmh's rating of the film Orlando

If only we were all her Tildren.

13. James Mackin's rating of the film Orlando

Billy Zane is a gift to us all. And Tilda Swinton gives maybe her greatest performance here.

14. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Orlando

This was when I fell in love with Tilda. It just happens to be a great movie as well.

15. spiderliliez's rating of the film Orlando

Now this is timeless! I can't believe I missed a precious gem all these years. Based from Virginia Woolf's novel of the same title. Tilda Swinton plays both genders on this revolutionary take on life and the sexes, and she's amazing! What a remarkable piece of cinema. I found myself in awe, marveling, and laughing at the same time. My treasure box is never full, and this is definitely in my collection.

16. Samuel Donath's rating of the film Orlando

An androgynous delight with Tilda.

17. Raymond Likes Subtitles's rating of the film Orlando

18. dianacrisan01's rating of the film Orlando

"my sex is pronounced indisputably and beyond shadow of a doubt... female..."

19. knockkneed's rating of the film Orlando

kind of creative, but doesn't do the book any justice

20. redux's rating of the film Orlando

Decent as it is, it only reveals the insubstantiality of the source novel.

21. Adam Whybray's rating of the film Orlando

Sumptuous androgynous delightfulness. Walks that knife-edge because beauty and grotesque walked by Peter Greenaway with 'Prospero's Books', but with a great deal more humanity and warmth. Woolf's sentences cannot really be translated to images, but Orlando stands on its own as a quietly fierce and touching work of art. I suspect it must have provided salvation to some (as 'Sanshō Dayū' does for me).

22. nargs_au's rating of the film Orlando

Not a bad film but what I realised at the end is that Orland roamed the earth for over 400 years & only learnt what normal people can in 10.

23. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film Orlando

***1/2 Pretty and arch are double-edged swords; those attributes sometimes enthrall and sometimes obstruct. I couldn't agree more with the sex-and-gender theses Potter projects onto the novel, but they're stated rather than explored more often than I found effective, and the riveting/transporting pure-modernist opacity of Woolf's prose becomes an awkward hybrid of modernist rigor and postmodernist noodling.

24. Lília Lopes's rating of the film Orlando

Sally Potter made ​​Orlando look like an uninteresting person and a little crazy. It seems unfair compared to the Woolf's real work.