1. Kortirion's rating of the film Ornamental Hairpin

Concise in run-time (corresponding with the film's theme), Shimizu crafts a subtle and bittersweet reflection on loneliness and love. Is there anything more fleeting than that of a human life?

2. Royce Jr.'s rating of the film Ornamental Hairpin

3. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Ornamental Hairpin

I checked this movie out not really knowing anything about it and what I found was a tragic and poetic meditation on the nature of loneliness and a filmmaker to explore further. The last moments in the film are simply beautiful!

4. Love Walked In's rating of the film Ornamental Hairpin

Right to light. I've never seen such a fresh impression of air of vacances, except Eric Rohmer.

5. knockkneed's rating of the film Ornamental Hairpin

6. kartina obskura's rating of the film Ornamental Hairpin

"right, dear? what do you think, dear? oh, i´m so sorry." very sweet, tender and funny with lovable characters. 3,5

7. M Klein's rating of the film Ornamental Hairpin

Maybe the most delicate piece of war time propaganda ever made. No, not fair and not true. A disparate band of holiday makers coalesces into a community. A woman decides to leave her former life. A child grapples with what to write about his holiday and learns to pay attention to the out of the ordinary.

8. joey Noodles's rating of the film Ornamental Hairpin

Beuatiful, human, charming, poignant and also very funny at times. A masterpiece.

9. Howard Orr's rating of the film Ornamental Hairpin

A light-hearted film made grave and enticing by its lovely, melancholic final scenes of Tanaka abandoned in a kind of Japanese paradise of lakes, temple steps, and kimonos. These final scenes very noticeably undermine the simplistic optimism of the rest of the film by seeming to divine the last gasp of a soon-to-be lost insular, ancient Japan, overflowing with ritual and quiet reveries.

10. Daniela's rating of the film Ornamental Hairpin

Two stars is kind of low, but this film really didn't meet my expectations : / Love the tatami mise-en-scène though . . .

11. Mike A's rating of the film Ornamental Hairpin

Incredible stylistic eclecticism- Shimizu cuts from wide-angles to close-ups, tracking shots to two-shots, in a way that would see random and willful in our standardized age, but it all hangs tight to the story and turns it into an exploration of a thousand possibilities. It's those ever-present possibilities that make the conclusion all the more sad.

12. Peter's rating of the film Ornamental Hairpin

A very powerful and poignant ending. It reminds me of Chekhov.

13. Mono No Aware's rating of the film Ornamental Hairpin

Kinuyo Tanaka giving Chishu Ryu a piggyback. That's enough for me.

14. InsertOzuReferencehere's rating of the film Ornamental Hairpin