1. EdieEmm's rating of the film Ornette: Made in America

Shirley Clarke doing her own cinematic free jazz to footage of Ornette Coleman, in what amounts to more of an immersive multimedia jam session than a film. Easy to give yourself over to, to just ride - at least it was once I set aside my expectation of context and politics... Just a couple great artists, doing their thing. 3.5

2. dAlton Anthony's rating of the film Ornette: Made in America

five stars for Ornette! five stars for the music! but the doc itself is rather ho hum.

3. Jason's rating of the film Ornette: Made in America

An old favourite, revisited. Not what you would call a standard doc. But it's Shirley Clarke: it wouldn't be. It's an mythic evocation. Ornette is a God to me. I'm not coming at him for his biography, I'm coming as a supplicant before a spiritual teacher. A real goddamn father figure. There are lessons here. A vision of discipline and creation from a man who transcended time and place. Which is to say: a true artist.

4. Gembira Putra Agam's rating of the film Ornette: Made in America

5. Tibulle85's rating of the film Ornette: Made in America

Une espèce de making-of sous amphet sorti tout droit des inénarrables années 1980. Je pense que le tout n'est en mesure d'intéresser que ceux qui connaissent bien Ornette et qui apprécient sa musique (en bref, un "guitar hero" version jazz et saxo...). Ne m'inscrivant dans aucune de ces catégories, j'ai trouvé que le film ne faisait rien pour s'ouvrir aux profanes tels que moi. J'ai donc vite passé mon chemin.

6. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film Ornette: Made in America

7. ruifragoso's rating of the film Ornette: Made in America

Organized madness. I hated the editing and the new-soviet juxtaposition of imagery (I just made this up), the neurotic camera (kaleidoscopic, they say) and the amateurish a-tourist-goes-on-vacation zooming in and out. Not mentioning that the "special effects" seems to be someone randomly pressing some buttons just to see what happens. But in the end, we still have the music.

8. Federico Boswarlos's rating of the film Ornette: Made in America

3.5 Die Filmmaterial ist sehr interessant und unterhaltsam. Jedoch die quasi-Mystisizmus der Ornette war ein Stuck weit bizarr. Die Schule in die East Village war ziemlich cool!

9. Ludovic72's rating of the film Ornette: Made in America

Le free jazz n'est déjà pas évident à écouter. Soumettre en plus les images à un "montage free jazz" assez épileptique, cela devient vraiment fatiguant, même si la logique se comprend bien... Heureusement, le talent du musicien et de son fils, ainsi que leur parcours, arrivent à maintenir l'attention éveillée.

10. Marc Tallec's rating of the film Ornette: Made in America

génie, liberté totale, osmose...

11. balooo's rating of the film Ornette: Made in America

Un documentaire très daté dans ses "effets spéciaux", qui n'a d’intérêt que pour sa bande son.

12. Runar Gudnason's rating of the film Ornette: Made in America

A lot of interesting footage and music, but the editing and form did not work that well for me. A gutsy effort, though. Not boring.

13. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Ornette: Made in America

14. azoulay's rating of the film Ornette: Made in America

Un document qui s'aligne sur la folie résonnée (?) de ce musicien génial. Palpitant, déjanté et aussi rigoureux que "le saxophoniste métronomique". Le film dresse aussi, en arrière plan, le portrait du fils, encore plus invraisemblablement en contrôle de lui-même. Une découverte qui active vos neurones et vos oreilles.

15. Fraticelli Matthieu's rating of the film Ornette: Made in America

Un montage pensé en adéquation avec son thème : le free jazz. Un film en mouvement, fait de flux et de sons.

16. kaan ertuz's rating of the film Ornette: Made in America

Good things are Ornette Coleman himself, his music and Buckminster Fuller quotes and the bad things are subliminal and experimental editing techniques...

17. José Neves's rating of the film Ornette: Made in America

3,5. A misture of times and supports, including small fictional notes on Coleman's childhood and adolescence, finding a structure parallel with the "harmolodic" structure of his musical compositions, a constant retrospective movement that also discovers the structuring root of a society that is perpetuated in its discriminations. Made in America by one of its true identity voices.

18. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Ornette: Made in America

Fast and smart edition, free form, not losing the mojo. Definitely worth a view.

19. bastos's rating of the film Ornette: Made in America

20. T Mills's rating of the film Ornette: Made in America

An interesting experiment. I can't say that it all comes together to make a masterpiece but Clarke's choices are very interesting and revealed to me different ways of shooting and editing documentaries.

21. David R Williams's rating of the film Ornette: Made in America

I discovered Coleman in the late 70s. The passing years have done nothing to diminish the power and the genius of his music. Each listening is like hearing something new no matter how many times the piece has been listened to. I'm not 100% on the technique used to make this film - but the music stands without the images.

22. Nick Potter's rating of the film Ornette: Made in America

A completely and utterly fascinating jazz documentary. The editing is a bit gimmicky, but it can't be argued that it matches Ornette's writing almost perfectly. This is not an easy film to watch, particularly if one does not have much knowledge of Ornette Coleman in the first place.

23. Alex's rating of the film Ornette: Made in America

This film yields a push and pull experieince between innocence and sagacity that make it inimitable.

24. Madison Santos's rating of the film Ornette: Made in America

Awful attempts at using form in the editing process but oh well, still some interesting positioning, Ornette's stories and obscure logic stole the show.