1. En Sangers Bøn's rating of the film Othello

All time classic and surely among the finest adaptations on screen. Furiously passionate, theatrically alluring with strong figures and a typical Shakespearian tragical issue. My favorite with Macbeth, also with Welles

2. Ethan's rating of the film Othello

Only Orson Welles could pull of playing Othello in black face but he pulls it off in a way that is graceful and not offensive. Welles also continues to push the boundaries of cinema and how the Bard's words should be translated and proves yet again that Welles was far superior to Olivier when it came to adapting Shakespeare.

3. Maudealan's rating of the film Othello

This is the first of the Welles Shakespeare's I've seen as part of this big rewatch, and even with the famous money problems the overall look and mise-en-scene are probably what I like most and remember most about it, but it also seems sort of restrained in a way you wouldn't imagine Shakespeare-Welles to be. It may just be me, I don't know.

4. Lex Lucas's rating of the film Othello

Those dutch angles shots are haunting, however this adaptation of shakespear is not rich, yet not weak.

5. FISCHER's rating of the film Othello

Un incontestable chef-d'oeuvre fastueux, débordant d'un sens inné de la dramaturgie et ponctué par quelques plans inoubliables proches de l'anthologie. Une oeuvre époustouflante ..... www.cinefiches.com

6. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Othello

7. Aardsy's rating of the film Othello

I assume Orson was tanning?

8. ermete polpette's rating of the film Othello

9. Marco Bevilacqua's rating of the film Othello

I don't like Welles's interpretation in this film. It is a "theatrical" representation more than a tragedy shown in cinenemategraphical language, seems fake and in a closed environment. There is a beautiful use of images in almost the movie, some of real impact, and they represent a vehicle for the storytelling. But none of these beautiful images are original if we bear in mind the first historical/epic movies.

10. Ayinde Anderson's rating of the film Othello

11. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Othello

12. Oliuj's rating of the film Othello

I felt that the beginning of the film was rushed, to the point that it damaged the carachter's development. Iago was just a viper who injected his poison without no apparent reason. And Desdemona only had a physical presence because a personality was not to be found in her. Also, didn't like at all Welles acting. At least the cinematography was great.

13. Samuel Righi's rating of the film Othello

14. Chris_Parker's rating of the film Othello

It's a fabulous film. In Othello, Welles remarkably captures Shakespeare's dense, visceral imagery and the emotional turmoil of the doomed title character through tortured deep focus compositions and some extreme contrasts of light and shadow.

15. smndvdcl's rating of the film Othello

The resplendent 2013 National Theatre version of 'Othello' Rory Kinnear as the Machiavellian Iago, and Adrian Lester as the tragic Othello, have spoiled all other versions of one of my favourite Shakespeare plays. This being said, Orson just about surpasses Branagh and Olivier as a Shakespearean auteur with this one - 3.5

16. chickenwing's rating of the film Othello

Orson's voice. Shadow drenched. Definitely flawed, but totally engrossing.

17. Atzin Ortiz González's rating of the film Othello

A perfect example of how a bad quality soundtrack can bring down the artistic merits of Welles' adaptation. Exquisitely composed but the soundtrack restoration is unbearable.

18. Dominic Rainsford's rating of the film Othello

Weakened by bowdlerisation; the stylised shots sometimes seem gratuitous; but still a strong reading of the play.

19. V Daniel López's rating of the film Othello

Los celos son quizá el sentimiento más extraño e intenso que el ser humano puede llegar a sentir. Pueden sumergir a uno en la locura. Muy buenas actuaciones. Excelente combinación entre Orson Welles y Shakespeare.

20. Charlie's rating of the film Othello

Good movie, just a little slow.

21. Clay_Carter's rating of the film Othello

Disappointed. Orson Welles playing the Moor Othello? No. Absolutely, assuredly, positively a poor decision to star and direct. Aside, the balance on light and shadow is excellent in this one. Micheál MacLiammóir as Iago seems the only actor trained to handle the duality of his character, while Welles is hopelessly plain, reading his lines like a grocery list. And the spastic editing? We need room to breathe, Orson.

22. rociof's rating of the film Othello

La naturaleza humana, los celos infundados. La fotografía es impecable y profunda.

23. T Mills's rating of the film Othello

Visually stunning and unforgettable. However, I feel the pace is wrong. There's no time for anyone to soak up the emotions. Perhaps that's the feeling of the source material but my thought when Welles says at the end to not think of him as "easily jealous" that the film creates that very notion. I didn't feel the actions well founded or motivated while trying to look objectively at the film.

24. Sprungler's rating of the film Othello

Although the use of old English and great cinematographic skill, Welles' film could not have been more inappropriate for a Shakespeare adaptation. I disliked as well the slightly desynchronization in the audio, which is indeed noticeable if the language used by the characters is also a problem. Last, some dramatic parts of the film are acted out very poorly.