1. chanandre's rating of the film Outrage

Why was Otomo knifed in the jail....? I would have cut in the prison scene. Open-ended films are my beach. That Kato was a mofoca. Played all like a fiddle even his boss. This is like Silvio or Paulie having had plotted successfully against Tony Soprano! Kitano you're still on fire!

2. Luca Soldati's rating of the film Outrage

La trama è un continuo susseguirsi di tradimenti e scontri interni alla yakuza, delineando un'organizzazione senza scrupoli. Ottimo ritmo e narrazione sempre chiara e appassionante. Il microcosmo trattato viene caratterizzato benissimo. Mole sequenze ottime e bel montaggio. La critica portata avanti alla yakuza non sacrifica l'intrattenimento, anch'esso di qualità. Personaggi ben interpretati che restano impressi

3. Alvise Narduzzi's rating of the film Outrage

Ben nota la tendenza di Kitano a girare scene violente, ma forse un pugno ogni circa 10 parole è una media un pò alta. Le scene di violenza sono talmente numerose che passano dall'impressionare a provocare un senso di noiosa ripetizione un pò pedante. Rinnovato è invece il senso della regia del giapponese, che con un formato più ampio dipinge delle scene meravigliose, grazie anche ad una sceneggiatura notevole.

4. kokeshi's rating of the film Outrage

Non male. Ma il Kitano degli anni '90 di certo non c'è in questo film. Manca la leale fratellanza, la poesia, il silenzio. I colori. E la struggente colonna sonora.

5. Christopher M. Jones's rating of the film Outrage

every Beat Takeshi yakuza flick might have basically the same plot but God damn if this man can't keep surprising us with new ways to fuck up a dude's face

6. Nachtreich's rating of the film Outrage

7. Ethan's rating of the film Outrage

This would make a great double bill with Sonatine.

8. weinbrandbabsi's rating of the film Outrage

I said in another context, that the subject of Kitanos movies is violence in both ways - his characters seem just tokens expressing the movemement of an abstract real, violence. The rigidly hierachical structure of the Yakuza adds the element of power, another 'automatic subject'. The object gaze reserved for the audience makes the sometimes already breathtakingly violent scenes roughen you up a bit.

9. Jeremiah Johnson's rating of the film Outrage

I had no idea that Takeshi had a string of yakuza films in the 90s with his distinct style. I liked those better.

10. Michael Zyx MH Claes's rating of the film Outrage

En compétition à Cannes, ce film éclaire comme dans Donnie BRASCO, le fonctionnement "bête et discipliné" des mafias (ici yakuzas). Dans ce milieu d'ultra prédateurs, la moindre erreur se paie cher. Et de laver l'affront à perdre le pouvoir, le chemin est très court et les pertes humaines s’amoncellent. https://www.facebook.com/zyx.mhclaes/media_set?set=a.698762710179875.1073741885.100001384583310&type=3

11. Nick Schwab's rating of the film Outrage

It's basically a slasher movie, as it's all about the climax to grisly deaths. While Kitano's technical elements are exceptional, as is his dark humor, his tangled world of Yakuza double crosses grows irksome after a while. One also admits its plot web is hard to make sense of on first viewing since it's so complicated. We also don't know any character enough to like or even hate outside of the bloodshed.

12. Rocketeam's rating of the film Outrage

My rating of this movie is very biased cuz I love Yakuza films, good or bad...

13. vulnicura's rating of the film Outrage

A fun watch-- there are about a dozen+ characters and almost zero focus/elaboration on any of them, so you end up passively watching the power game without particular investment in any party. Doesn't really give an immersive, emotive experience. Direction is solid and avoids much of the tacky cliche of gangster films.

14. klofter's rating of the film Outrage

A motorcade with mob bosses looks like a funeral procession. Yakuza tattoos dotted with blood of a recently deceased look like a deranged still life. Men being shot with automatic weapons look like puppets dancing on a string. A softball game looks like the existential travails of Sisyphus characters. Kitano finds poetry in violence and the mundane. But the film overall is nothing but an empty shell.

15. Eric Sherwood's rating of the film Outrage

16. creede's rating of the film Outrage

Too much plot, not enough action.

17. muse_x's rating of the film Outrage

18. Cichlisuite's rating of the film Outrage

3.75 - Not his best but still a Kitano auteur piece and still showing some of his flair and trademarks. The lack of realism in much of the violence was disappointing, characterisation was a bit thin and it was perhaps a little predictable but it was well put together and entertaining. Time to re-watch some early Kitano I think. It's been too long.

19. Kate Tallent's rating of the film Outrage

This film about yakuza gangsters offers up a smorgasbord of ways to die. Entertainingly repulsive you have to look away when fingers are being cut off or chopsticks are shoved into an ear but the intrigue is compelling. The yakuza portrayed seem as ambitious as anyone climbing a corporate ladder though the methods employed are a bit Draconian.

20. Roy Markowitz's rating of the film Outrage

Hilariously funny (unintentional) this over-heated tale of Yakuza treachery, so brutal and frequent, that it seems more like "What's Up Tiger Lilly?" than a serious look at mobsville Japan. Betrayal- very scary!!

21. Nicholas Kohut's rating of the film Outrage

Definitely one of Kitano's many masterworks. His demonstration of savage and brutal Yakuza competition is terrifying. The discipline of his shot language is arresting, time feels irrelevant and the terrible implications of crime syndicate management are magnified with potent sound design and musical structure. Outrage is somewhat of a dance through the illusions of respect and loyalty in Japan's criminal underworld.

22. Dave Corun's rating of the film Outrage

23. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Outrage

Wonderful! The delusional plans of power-hungry phalluses get twisted into a comically absurd, semi-slapsticky series of backstabs—until the story becomes so brutal that laughter is no longer an option. Act now, and we'll throw in an ominous, minimal synth score that John Carpenter would be proud to call his own. Inventive genre cinema...it's my first Kitano, and I'll be coming back.

24. Vinod Narayan's rating of the film Outrage

Outrage is a good Japanese yakuza film. Pretty violent which was expected. It had so many characters and so you are not sure the direction it is moving till the end. May be such movies are meant to be open to take any direction and not suppose to end in an all is well note...